PDA

View Full Version : HI-POINT ... bullseye shooting, and more!

WildBill45
September 6, 2011, 11:50 PM
Let me preface this posting with a warning:

WARNING:

There are those who dislike, hate, and find foul, HI-POINT firearms! On their behalf let me say … they think they are cheap, unreliable, made of pot-metal, plastic, unreliable, and are generally too cheap and without enough class for their tastes! PS: not for self defense, for plinking only!

There you go! I have cleared the air, now can we who enjoy our HI-POINT handgun have some sense of civility since I have already posted those criticisms up front.

The Point to this posting, is a shared experience with other HI-POINT fans, and an open invitation to do what I have done here, post a video or photos that shares your personal experiences with your HI-POINT, and let the discussions and/or questions begin from here. I shot my first SHOW & TELL video to start our shared experiences and shooting brotherhood today! Maybe good fortune will find us, and others will come into the discussion with good faith and intentions first and foremost.

This is the first time I have ever shot paper, targets specifically, since I bought my HI-POINT! I only shot steel plates, and a Police qualifying silhouette at 100 yards until today! Some HI-POINT fans suggested shooting at targets, and it is, just that, as asked... I have not cleaned my HI-POINT yet, only wiped out the bore between sessions over these few weeks since my first shooting session. IT is as you see it, right out of the box, brand new with over 200 rounds through it now.

You gotta love my HI-POINT, she will shoot with the best of them! Plinking only eh? NO MAN would dare stand at any range up to and including 100 yards whilst being shot at by one, would they now?

My HI-POINT was so proud of herself today, on such a day she has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by some of her friends, here on the forum!:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24Ch_IQg-io

phatspeed7x
September 7, 2011, 12:08 AM
Cool man!

I like my Hi Point still.

Cheapshooter
September 7, 2011, 12:35 AM
Great report. Unfortunately, "proof" isn't good enough for the Hi-Pointaphobes.
Neither your accuracy vids, or the guys trying to blow one up. Their minds are made up, no matter what.
As I said on another thread I am going to buy one this weekend just to prove to myself what they are about. I've been tempted many times, but always shy away just because the are sooo ugly!
I shot a friends 45acp 'Point, and it did shoot good. I think I'll get a 9mm though, just 'cause.
I'll treat it as any other new gun I purchase. No special tuning, or polishing. Just a good cleaning, lubrication, and off to the range to see for myself what it's like.
I have done this with other guns that are much maligned by the "elite" experts. Rough Rider, P22, Judge. All have proven to be accurate, reliable, and very much fun to shoot. I'll let you know what I think about the Hi-Point.

phatspeed7x
September 7, 2011, 01:04 AM
Neither your accuracy vids, or the guys trying to blow one up. Their minds are made up, no matter what.
As I said on another thread I am going to buy one this weekend just to prove to myself what they are about. I've been tempted many times, but always shy away just because the are sooo ugly!
I shot a friends 45acp 'Point, and it did shoot good. I think I'll get a 9mm though, just 'cause.
I'll treat it as any other new gun I purchase. No special tuning, or polishing. Just a good cleaning, lubrication, and off to the range to see for myself what it's like.
I have done this with other guns that are much maligned by the "elite" experts. Rough Rider, P22, Judge. All have proven to be accurate, reliable, and very much fun to shoot. I'll let you know what I think about the Hi-Point.

That's what I did when I got mine. These hi points aren't bad. They do what they were designed to do...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ElrodCod
September 7, 2011, 07:33 AM
You need to work on the two handed limp wristing.

WildBill45
September 7, 2011, 08:33 AM
Cool man!

I like my Hi Point still.

A lot of bang for the buck! Guns are like golf clubs, one is never enough to play the game! Every club has its purpose, and that is what I am talking about. Shoot some video and/or photos of you in action, and post it!

Opinated
September 7, 2011, 09:43 AM
The obvious conclusion is that everything worked. The pistol, the ammo, the marksman. I envy your marksmanship

WildBill45
September 7, 2011, 09:48 AM
The obvious conclusion is that everything worked.

Everything worked that day, tomorrow is another day, for the gun, and for me!:D Who knows?

This is why we should all shoot and enjoy it while we can. While we are still able to own guns, and still able to shoot them ... physically that is, as time waits for no one.

Have a fun day of shooting!

threegun
September 7, 2011, 02:39 PM

Keep calling the "Hi-Pointaphobes" and they will come to let you know why they are. I'm trying to respect WildBills wishes but I don't like to be poked at either.

shortwave
September 7, 2011, 03:25 PM
Again, wonderful reliability with excellent marksmanship...

...but PLEASE let me send you a Cleveland Browns shirt.

WildBill,

You keep this up and I gonna have to do as cheapshooter is gonna do.

Go get me a HiPoint.

As I remember from the HP's I've shot, the trigger on them felt as good if not better than the G22 I just got. I heard you say the trigger on the HP compares to the M&P. Can you comment on the HP trigger vs the Glock trigger?

brickeyee
September 7, 2011, 04:20 PM
Get back to us when you can do that at 25 and 50 yards.

dgludwig
September 7, 2011, 05:23 PM
You gotta love my HI-POINT, she will shoot with the best of them!

Trot your Hi-Point out to the Bullseye matches at Camp Perry and see how "she" fares. At the risk of being dubbed a "gun snob", I guarantee you'll be laughed off the line if you actually believe a Hi-Point could ever compete with "the best of them".

WildBill45
September 7, 2011, 06:44 PM
Can you comment on the HP trigger vs the Glock trigger?

I haven't owned a Glock since my original 17 in the 80s, but I intend to run one through the ringer this fall!

CORRECTION: In the video I said the range was 20 to 22 yards or so for the one shot group, I wasn't sure as I rarely shoot indoors. I didn't have to back in Colorado, as I had my own 50 yard/meter range on my property. I trained there every two years for the World Police & Games, where shooting at 50 yards was the norm, up to 900 yards for Palma rifle. The attached image I just snagged off of my gun club website, and it shows that the max range in the indoor range IS 25 yards. I have shot the HI-POINT at 100 as well, but not the 50 yet, but I don't think it will be much of a problem.

These posts start out fun, and then the negativity begins. I am only doing this to make the posers do the same ... here are a few of my credentials.

I have won 12 medals from PPC to smallbore, to palma in the World Police and Fire Games, to start. attached a few photos.

The haters are now asked to do the same, put up or shut up, what have you done MR. "US" do it at 25 and 50 yards, who do you think you are asking me these questions when you don't even know me, and you never even mention your greatness, or even if you have shot a gun of any sort, in any sort of way! If you don't like the post, there are other posts that you may find more to your liking. Why bother to take the time to always write negative stuff, if you don't like this one so much. Your attitudes are delusions of adequacy! Put your photos/videos up here, videos posted in public of your great self who knows all and does all so we can all see for ourselves, or keep on riding!

Now back to the a real question: I think the trigger, to the best of my memory, on the Glock is better, but again, I will wait and see after shooting a Glock again. I Have a .45 Glock lined up, and I would also like to shoot a full size model, or a competition model as well. Either way, I still prefer that good ole' single action trigger, wheelgun or 1911!

threegun
September 7, 2011, 07:24 PM
Now back to the a real question: I think the trigger, to the best of my memory, on the Glock is better, but again, I will wait and see after shooting one again.

It ain't. The HiPoints trigger was better IMO. Better than my reduced power spring kit and Ghost rocket 3.5lb in my Glocks.

WildBill45
September 7, 2011, 07:28 PM
It ain't. The HiPoints trigger was better IMO. Better than my reduced power spring kit and Ghost rocket 3.5lb in my Glocks.

Strange, but strange things happen, as I am sure it depends gun to gun, as they are not all alike!

threegun
September 7, 2011, 07:40 PM
Well with the Glock trigger you have it performing multiple processes. Loading the firing pin spring (buy pulling the firing pin to the rear), depressing the firing pin blocking safety, and finally releasing the firing pin.

While a much safer system it is mushy and a bit creepy.

Cheapshooter
September 7, 2011, 09:14 PM
Keep calling the "Hi-Pointaphobes" and they will come to let you know why they are. I'm trying to respect WildBills wishes but I don't like to be poked at either.

I didn't identify you as one. I guess you took care of that with this post.

Ya never know, I might join your ranks after I get one this weekend, and get a chance to try it out.
As of now, believe it or not, I'm neutral on the 'Point. I just lean to no gun is completely useless as many say of Hi-Points.

dgludwig
September 7, 2011, 10:06 PM
My HI-POINT was so proud of herself today, on such a day she has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by some of her friends, here on the forum!

Umm..."friends" is a bit of a reach, me thinks. :)

Datguy781
September 7, 2011, 10:26 PM
I have had two hi-points yet I meet your criteria for a "hi-pointaphob". From my experience its 50/50 gamble with them as far as reliability. A serious question though why do many people on so many forums feel they have to justify hi-point and owning one. Its like every dedicated owner is saying "My hi-point is reliable believe me, please believe me.". Or they feel like its their duty to be the missionaries of the company spreading the gospel of hi-point? Keep in mind this is from a guy who also has video reviews on youtube for hi-point c9,phoenix arms, and armscor 206,etc. I prefer the later two over the Hi-point.

phatspeed7x
September 7, 2011, 10:50 PM
I shot my Hi Point again today, and didn't have any problems.

Timbow
September 7, 2011, 10:57 PM
That's some good shooting regardless of what gun the lead is coming out of! Just goes to show most guns, even Hi-Points, will outshoot most shooters!

WildBill45
September 7, 2011, 11:17 PM
Keep in mind this is from a guy who also has video reviews on youtube for hi-point c9,phoenix arms, and armscor 206,etc. I prefer the later two over the Hi-point.

If you are talking about me, you are lying my friend, I have never touched a C9, Phonix, or armscor, but if I did, how is that your business? I see you are still all talk and no action, you must have missed the PUT UP OR SHUT UP post above. Post your videos and images MR. talker!

I won't waste more breathe on you, you are a poser!

You are all negative with nothing nice to say: thread bullies are all Gas, no substance, SHOW & TELL MR. TALKER! Here is one for your fine tastes to review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGVZ5jp4RIk

You will love it I assure you!

Cheapshooter
September 7, 2011, 11:21 PM
Or they feel like its their duty to be the missionaries of the company spreading the gospel of hi-point?

I think it's more of a reaction to those who see their own mission as one to tell everybody how horrible Hi-Points are, and how owning one equates a person to a character from a Gico commercial! Especially the ones that make the comment I would never own a piece of junk like a Hi-Point. THAT is a true Hi-Pointaphobe. Not the guy giving an honest opinion of it's low cost materials, and manufacturing. Especially if he has actually owned one.

WildBill45
September 7, 2011, 11:21 PM
Let me preface this posting with a warning:

WARNING:

There are those who dislike, hate, and find foul, HI-POINT firearms! On their behalf let me say … they think they are cheap, unreliable, made of pot-metal, plastic, unreliable, and are generally too cheap and without enough class for their tastes! PS: not for self defense, for plinking only!

There you go! I have cleared the air, now can we who enjoy our HI-POINT handgun have some sense of civility since I have already posted those criticisms up front.

C0untZer0
September 7, 2011, 11:30 PM
ThreeGun are you saying a Hi-Point trigger is better than a GhostRocket 3.5#

Did you also have the 6# Wolff trigger spring and the 4# Wolff striker spring ?

I am thinking about gettng the new LWD connector with the same setup - some people are raving about it on GlockTalk as being slightly better than Ghost.

But I may go dry fire some Hi-Points first.

I'll take my Snap-Caps to the LGS in case they're worried about dry-firing breaking the Hi-Point... :)

Cheapshooter
September 7, 2011, 11:32 PM
If you are talking about me,

Bill, if you re-read his post I think he meant that he made the posts on youtube.

Keep in mind this is from a guy who also has video reviews on youtube for hi-point c9,phoenix arms, and armscor 206,etc. I prefer the later two over the Hi-point.

WildBill45
September 7, 2011, 11:49 PM
how owning one equates a person to a character from a Gico commercial!

That is exactly what MR. Talk, no action is doing, but he is sorely mistaken!

A serious question though why do many people on so many forums feel they have to justify hi-point and owning one. Who asked you, who cares? There is no justifying, there is proof on film, can you see man?

I, and I cannot speak for all HI-POINT shooters, I have owned custom guns like Wilson, custom built rifles from the ground up, and I Have taken game all over the world, with one World Record African species ... see attached photos!

Everyone with an expensive gun are not like you, some of us, who do not talk too much like you, with no show, just empty talk. You are not worthy of the title snob, snobs are in a position to be snobby from, and Mr. TAlK ain't it!

IF you would spend less time trying to run people down, and actually do a little research you would see that I do a lot of videos, Smith & Wesson, Ruger, M&P, etc. Other HI-POINT shooters here also do many things, they didn't say they ONLY shoot HI-POINTS MR. HOOKED-ON-PHONICS, they just enjoy the HI-POINT THEY Have. It is not your business what they shoot. If you don't like the gun, that is one thing, but your commentary on my friends personally is another! I have never asked for your opine, as I don't care what you think. I am only here tonight because you think that you can hijack threads with your bully tactics, run down people because you think they are poor, and we are not going for it. Be nice and join the conversation, or start your own thread MR. TALK!

I have said all I have to say about that...

Have fun shooting everyone!:D

I Have put up again, now it is your time to be a man and you PUT UP to back up your talk! Show us what you got!

threegun
September 8, 2011, 06:04 AM
I didn't identify you as one. I guess you took care of that with this post.

I assumed that any negative criticism of HiPoint equaled being a HiPointaphobe. It seems I have been accused of having agendas and such. So I proudly accept whatever labels you fellas seem fit.

threegun
September 8, 2011, 06:11 AM
ThreeGun are you saying a Hi-Point trigger is better than a GhostRocket 3.5#

Did you also have the 6# Wolff trigger spring and the 4# Wolff striker spring ?

I am thinking about gettng the new LWD connector with the same setup - some people are raving about it on GlockTalk as being slightly better than Ghost.

But I may go dry fire some Hi-Points first.

I'll take my Snap-Caps to the LGS in case they're worried about dry-firing breaking the Hi-Point...

My GLock trigger although excellent (for Glock) isn't as good as the HP jhp 45 I dryfired at work. I was surprised by the change as previous HP's that I have fired were horrible....very hard. I will compare them side by side on Sunday (next day back at work).

Let me know if the LWD connector is indeed better.

C0untZer0
September 8, 2011, 06:51 AM
You mean Model JH ?

Not "HP jhp 45" right?

If this thread gets locked, I'll PM you. I have a Sotelo trigger in my G34 and I have no way of knowing what a LWD ProPick trigger kit is going to feel like, but if you're saying a Hi-Point Model JH has a nicer trigger than a Ghost Rocket kit, I want to dry fire some Hi-Points.

I want some kind of trigger improvement in my 17L.

Vanek claims to be able to rig a trigger in the 1# range with no take-up or over-travel and crisp "like a 1911-type trigger". But then I've heard people who had the Vanek done say that they wished they'd gone with GhostRocket.

threegun
September 8, 2011, 06:53 AM
Wildbill, I know DatGuy personally and your rant and bash is unwarranted. He, like you takes his own time and produces you tube videos. He like you has had a good experience with HiPoint. Only he has also had a bad one. His questioning of the motives of those who rabidly defend HiPoint, like you are fair especially when you try to eliminate anyone with a negative view of the gun. I wondered the same about you. Are you being paid by HiPoint? Perhaps You Tube? I just kept that to myself. I know this Datguy is not a gun snob. He owned 2 HiPoints and a Pheonix arms after all. That pretty much bans you from that club.

I just wonder why you think your video showing a well functioning HiPoint out weights others bad experiences sans video to prove it? Are you calling all those who oppose your view Liars? Thats what it sounds like.

You admit the gun is made from inferior material. Many HiPoint current owners admit they jam on occasion. Most former HiPoint owners say they malfunction. So there is plenty of evidence to backup the reputation HP has. Your video although very compelling (and as stated before very good shooting) (good production also) is not the 100 percent proof HiPoints are great or reliable or anything.

threegun
September 8, 2011, 06:57 AM
Count, I thought it said JHP but I could be wrong. I will look again when I dryfire it Sunday. The trigger was better than I had ever imagined. I understand why WildBill can extract good accuracy from it now. Fixed barrel and a good trigger of course combined with obvious good stable shooting platform and very good trigger control.

brickeyee
September 8, 2011, 10:48 AM
Claiming one crappy trigger is better than another is just a waste of time.

They remain crappy triggers.

C0untZer0
September 8, 2011, 11:17 AM
I've got a Sotelo trigger in my G34 and it's fine. It's not super crisp, but it is light and I can fire it with good follow-through.

WildBill45
September 8, 2011, 11:38 AM
I just wonder why you think your video showing a well functioning HiPoint out weights others bad experiences sans video to prove it? Are you calling all those who oppose your view Liars? Thats what it sounds like.

No, I am not calling those who oppose liars, the lying comment was in response to ONE PERSON saying I reviewed certain guns, ON VIDEO or elsewhere, that I have never handled. It sounded like a condescending remark towards the people who use those guns as well, and not about the guns themselves.

I wish I were getting paid for making videos, because getting paid to have fun would be great, but that sadly is not the case. Youtube does have some monetize thing they are always asking me to do, and they put ads up on the video, on the Smith one I inquired, but it is only a few cents for tons of views, so I passed and never checked again.

The problem comes in when folks, INCLUDING ME, get too worked up and make the people the target of comments and not the gun in question. I will try and work on that, as should some of my other fellow shooters here.

The reason I make the videos is it is fun, and I hope educational for some who are not experienced, PERIOD, no Agenda beyond that. Certain guns draw heat, and everyone knows that, and as such I put the warning up front on this post, hoping the haters would say, "Hey, he already said some do not like the HI-POINT, and already said what I wanted to say." But no, they still jump in because THEY (the ones who put up the hate stuff) want to shut down the opinion here, the big issue is, PROMOTING the HI-POINT, which is how they perceive making positive posts about the gun. When I show videos with Smith & Wesson and Ruger, such as these two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOUBQT9EJtA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fxT79DBa9s

I did not get any grief about these, maybe a little banter between the Ruger and Smith guys, but no hate mail! Why? Because some folks are prejudice, and judge the shooter by the gun he or she shoots, which is not true, AND none of their business by the way. IF a grown man wants to shoot a wooden gun, it is his business; comment on the gun, keep it civil, and leave judgments about the man off the table, but, if you think the man is stupid, a tyro ... fine ... that is your right, but do you have to post that. The post is about guns, not people...

I think the people who do such do it to bully people off the post, so they get their way and only have negative information getting out there about the gun they are judge and jury on, or think that they are. People can be negative, but people can also be positive. How about getting on your friend for being negative, and not just fighting folks who are positive.

Lets turn your statement around a little, this is to the other side:

I just wonder why you think your video showing a POOR functioning HiPoint out weights others GOOD experiences sans video to prove it? Are you calling all those who oppose your view Liars? Thats what it sounds like.

How does that fly, and why no comments to those who do exactly what you are complaining about as well! Negative is OK< POSITIVE IS NOT???

Come on everyone, there is room for everyone to have fun here. Like a TV channel you don't like, you don't turn on that channel. I don't read posts on subjects I don't like, or watch TV I know I will not like; SO WHY DO HATERS GO TO THE HI-POINT POSTS, KNOWING WHAT THEY ARE UP FRONT? TO CAUSE HATE AND DIS-CONTENT? TO SILENCE THE VOICES OF THOSE WHO LIKE THEM...

YOU SAID YOUR PIECE, I SAID MINE, NO MORE COMMENT FROM ME, OR ... AGAIN THE THREAD IS HIGHJACKED BECAUSE EVERYONE FIGHTING AGAIN ... JUST THE WAY THEY WANT IT... MY POSTS WILL BE FUN.

LETS GET BACK TO THE ORIGINAL POST:

The Point to this posting, is a shared experience with other HI-POINT fans, and an open invitation to do what I have done here, post a video or photos that shares your personal experiences with your HI-POINT, and let the discussions and/or questions begin from here. I shot my first SHOW & TELL video to start our shared experiences and shooting brotherhood today! Maybe good fortune will find us, and others will come into the discussion with good faith and intentions first and foremost.

Microgunner
September 8, 2011, 12:02 PM
To address the first part of your original post, yes, I am definitely a Hi-Point hater. Wasn't born that way, learned it. Hard to un-learn what seems obviously correct to me.
I love guns, but not all guns.
I love cars too, but not all cars.
I love food, but not all food.
etc.
Some of that crap out there just ain't worth owning.
My opinion.

ducote32
September 8, 2011, 01:56 PM
I can only speak positive in regard to my Hi-Point C9. No problems at all with it. I would not hesitate to use it to defend myself and family. Sorry, but a Chavy malibu with get you to the same place as a Porshe. A 9mm out of a Hi-point will kill you just as quick a 9mm out of any other weapon. For the folks that don't like Hi-point. enjoy the collection you have and I'm happy that you take pride in you own collections. We all have different tastes, budgets, and reasons why we select a weapon over another. It's the reality of our world today.

Enjoy shooting whatever weapon you have.

I do appreciate the videos. Thanks a bunch.

threegun
September 8, 2011, 02:21 PM
No, I am not calling those who oppose liars, the lying comment was in response to ONE PERSON saying I reviewed certain guns, ON VIDEO or elsewhere, that I have never handled. It sounded like a condescending remark towards the people who use those guns as well, and not about the guns themselves

That was Datguy and he was talking of the videos HE has produced and posted on youtube. This is one of his videoshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BniMvKmz58

I consider him to be a friend more than a customer at our pawnshop having sold him several guns.

How does that fly, and why no comments to those who do exactly what you are complaining about as well! Negative is OK< POSITIVE IS NOT???

IMO I want both sides positive and negative. You however made me feel that my experience, because negative, was unwelcome. You even accused me of wanting to have the thread closed to stop HiPoint information sharing. I started a new HiPoint thread to prove that wrong.

Listen nothing could be further from the truth. I love dialog especially vigorous debate against a good counter argument. I love your video's. I admire your ability to shoot at range with a handgun.

Love the HiPoint..........not so much.

threegun
September 8, 2011, 02:29 PM
Sorry, but a Chavy malibu with get you to the same place as a Porshe. A 9mm out of a Hi-point will kill you just as quick a 9mm out of any other weapon.

A ChAvy malibu meets basic reliability and durability standards. Try comparing say an AMC Gremlin with 80 thousand miles with a Toyota Camry with the same. Now which one are you going to jump in to get you to the hospital after being rattlesnake bit?

taurus4life
September 8, 2011, 02:43 PM
A ChAvy malibu meets basic reliability and durability standards. Try comparing say an AMC Gremlin with 80 thousand miles with a Toyota Camry with the same. Now which one are you going to jump in to get you to the hospital after being rattlesnake bit?

i've said it tons of times but i'll say it again people just dont get it. can u compare a hi-point in terms of quality to a colt or ruger. no. and to compare the two is pointless. you cant compare a 150$ gun to a 900$ gun. but in terms of reliabilty if comes down to my life if a have a gremlin/hi-point or a camry if they both get me to the hospital i'll be glad to have either one. it would not be my first choice to have the gremlin/hi-point but if it gets me there.

threegun
September 8, 2011, 02:52 PM
Before the snake bite/shooting happens you have a choice. Do you buy the gremlin/hi point and hope or do you buy the camry?

Datguy781
September 8, 2011, 04:25 PM
The moment you started name calling you began to show your level of immaturity and others can now see your childish ways. I asked a simple question and you were unable to answer. No need to get made and throw a "temper tantrum". I have put myself out there just like you with my videos as well on youtube. So like you that is all I can show you other than talk. Your right I don't have the right to be a snob and don't want to be one; look at the variety of guns I own and shoot.

No need to get hostile about it if someone ask you a question. If someone were to ask me "Why do you and others like "x" so much despite the reputation of "x" ." I would politely answer them. I wouldn't start calling names. Those are some nice hunting pics you have there. You see on deployments we can't take pictures of our kills. Silly OPSEC.

Datguy781
September 8, 2011, 04:30 PM
Also its pretty hilarious that you called me "mr.hookedonphonics" after you misread my post. PRICELESS.

Microgunner
September 8, 2011, 04:42 PM
Hey! No Gremlin bashing.

taurus4life
September 8, 2011, 04:56 PM
Before the snake bite/shooting happens you have a choice. Do you buy the gremlin/hi point and hope or do you buy the camry?

i own both but i cant afford a camry everytime i want a new gun. so if the wife has the camry and i'm left with the gremlin i ill take it over nothing. ok now enough with the metaphors im starting to get confused.

shortwave
September 8, 2011, 05:16 PM
Datguy781,

Some things you may not be aware of:

While its true WildBill misinterpreted your post and shouldn't have called you out as he did, to be fair, I think you need to go back and read the first Hipoint thread WildBill did when he posted the vid showing him shooting the plates. You may get a better idea of why he's a bit testy.
Can't remember the name of the thread and I believe its closed now.

In that thread, like this one, the thread didn't ask what anyone thought of HiPoint but rather a fun video showing he was pleasantly surprised of the HiPoint and its capability's out of the box as he had never owned one before.

His original fun plate shooting thread was trashed as it turned into a somewhat heated debate between those that despise HiPoint and thoughs that don't.

As you read through that thread, notice it was pointed out that the point of that thread was so others could witness his out of the box HP in action first hand and how much he was surprised how good it did but many insisted on taking his thread and turning it into a bash/debate thread on their opinions of HP. There were several attempts to bring the thread back on topic but the off topic bantering by a few, which even got personal, IMO, showed no respect for the OP. Hence the way he opened this thread.

threegun opened a thread, taking a poll as to the OPINIONS of what people thought of the HP.

Thats great as that thread asks specifically everyones opinion/feelings towards HP pistols.

This thread nor WildBill first HP thread asks for opinions. Just shows him shooting his HP thats apparently reliable and accurate.

Cheapshooter
September 8, 2011, 06:04 PM
In that thread, like this one, the thread didn't ask what anyone thought of HiPoint but rather a fun video showing he was pleasantly surprised of the HiPoint and its capability's out of the box as he had never owned one before.

His original fun plate shooting thread was trashed as it turned into a somewhat heated debate between those that despise HiPoint and thoughs that don't.

Exactly what I mean by Hi-Pointaphobes. They just can't stand to allow someone to own one, enjoy one, or post about being surprised how well they shoot considering the price.

Their posts usually head the thread straight into a brick wall, and eventual closing.

The same often happens to a thread about a Taurus, or please save me, someone mentions their new Judge!!!
Everybody can't, or don't want to own the finest built precision, super elite firearms that a lot of the 'phobes have decided are the only ones worth owning.

Ozzieman
September 8, 2011, 07:32 PM
Ever notice how Hi point fans always put down people that don’t care for the guns and call them Hi-Pointaphobes or gun snobs.
IF you like them, good for you. I have shot both a 9mm and a 45. The guns did function well.
I still wouldn’t own one if they were 50$. They feel cheep, the triggers were very poor and the weight balance was unacceptable, they were just too big and disassembly by removing a roll pin is a joke.
Call me what you like, but I have Charter Arms guns and Taurus’s. But I also have Colts and Kimbers.
If you like them, again good for you, I am happy for you. But calling people names just because they don't care for a gun shows lack of understanding and makes your comments less reliable.
Have a nice Hi point day.

shortwave
September 8, 2011, 07:58 PM
Same thing often happens to a thread about Taurus, or please save me, someone mention their new Judge !!!

Happens often with alot of different brands, just more with some than others.

Just do some research on many of the Glock threads that have been trashed that were not started out asking anyones opine on the Glock but the haters just gotta pipe up and express their almighty opinion even though the thread does not ask for it.

Its one thing if a thread is started asking our opinion on a brand of gun. Its another when haters turn the thread into an opinionated one even after the OP has requested it not to be.

IMO, thats no respect.

If WildBill's HP breaks tomorrow while he's filming a new segment on it, there's no doubt he'll show the vid. in full just as it happened.

I don't feel he's got any hidden agenda as he's done vids on many other brands, has an extended history of shooting more expensive guns and admittedly didn't even want the HP he's got in the first place.

I feel he's being straight forward with his series of vids on his HP and wasn't doing the vids to promote HP as he took it out of the box, started shooting it and didn't know what the thing was going to do. If it had broke in the first vid., I'm sure he would have posted that vid also.

I, don't see why people can't just sit back and enjoy his vids. instead of bashing the gun. I, for one, am hoping he's been keeping a round count on his HP so if it does break, we'll know how many rds it took before it did.

The only gripe I've have is he won't wear a Cleveland Browns shirt in any of his vids. Course I won't be able to send him a Cleveland Browns Championship shirt as there aren't any.:o

Cheapshooter
September 8, 2011, 08:36 PM
Ever notice how Hi point fans always put down people that don’t care for the guns and call them Hi-Pointaphobes or gun snobs.

1. I don't own a Hi-Point...Yet, read some of my posts on the latest closed Hi-Point thread!

2. It's not those who don't care for Hi-Points that are the 'Phobes. It's the ones that just can't make it through the day without telling anybody that has a Hi-Point how dumb the are for buying it, or anybody asking about them what a fool they are for even considering one. They think it is their mission on this earth to keep people from buying whatever brand they feel in inferior.
Honest opinion from personal experience is always welcome. weather it is good or bad. The 'Phobes just don't accept the good.

If after I give the one I will be buying this weekend a fair trial. Same as all my other guns. I will say exactly what I think about my particular Hi-Point. Good or bad, but I won't be telling others that they are dumb for buying one.

WildBill45
September 8, 2011, 10:23 PM
Also its pretty hilarious that you called me "mr.hookedonphonics" after you misread my post. PRICELESS.

I Never said I misread your post, it was right on the mark! Your buddy, 2 1/2 guns, said I misread your post. I marked your attitude looking down your nose, and even in your response above you continue to prove my point! Thank you for that! I try and be nice and you sense weakness and become even more arrogant! What a guy, eh? Shoot what you want, and I will shoot what I want, is that so hard to get, or do we break out your well used copy of hooked-on-phonics again?

ducote32
September 9, 2011, 07:52 AM
That Gremlin will get you just as far as the Camry as long as you take care of it. Heck, why should you own a lowely Camry when a Lexus is more expensinve, Needles to say it's made by the same people on the same chasis. Just has a few wood trim pieces and the name on the outside. You maintain it, keep it clean and it will work. Moving parts are going to wear on any weapon.

The Hi-Point is a basic handgun that serves it's intent. It won't win a beauty contest, but it will kill you just as fast.

One thing is for sure. Hi-Point folk do not need to be concerned with the badmouthing of their weapon. If you like it the stupid comments don't matter. Some people love the taste of Koolaid

C0untZer0
September 9, 2011, 08:12 AM
I'm thinking of something to say about the Hi-Point that hasn't already been said at least twice on this thread already...

Here's something:

Have you ever noticed that people sometimes mix up the naming of them - like sometimes they'll spell it "Hi-Point" and other times they'll spell it "High-Point" ?

Ya that's weird.

People do that with Brownings too...

graysmoke
September 9, 2011, 08:19 AM
I say this...."If you were the bad guy. Would you be more affraid confronting a women with a handgun or baseball bat"?.

"And does that bad guy know that gun is a Hi-Point or Glock"?

If it goes BANG!!!....Works for me.

Microgunner
September 9, 2011, 08:41 AM
If it goes BANG!!!....Works for me.

Keyword here is "If".

shortwave
September 9, 2011, 10:54 AM
Key word is "IF".

Yea, but shouldn't that kind of comment be over on threeguns thread about the poll on HiPoint in general rather than this one which is/was not designed to rave about HP's in general but more specific to show how WildBill's is performong to date?

IMO, just more stirring the pot!

C0untZero,

I just added a third spelling of HiPoint...'look mom', no hyphen. :D

WildBill,

Have you been shooting all FMJ or have you ran any JHP ammo?

Cheapshooter
September 9, 2011, 01:36 PM
WARNING:

Just a reminder to those who insist on chiming in with all their "expertise" about Hi-Points. You know, all the ones who have never, and will never own one!!!

In another thread about Hi-Points (now closed of course) I mentioned I was going to buy one this weekend just 'cause, and just to prove to myself what they were all about. I had decided to make it a 9mm, again just 'cause. Plus the ammo is a little cheaper, and I already have 50cal cans full of it in the vault!
My question now is, what caliber Hi-Point is better than the others, if any?
Does the 45 seem to function better, or be more accurate than the 9mm. I have a few boxes of 45 also, and 40S&W.
I'm still leaning to the 9 though. Just a fun caliber to shoot with a little less ammo cost. That won't be a concern either, once I get my loading bench set up and running again.
And again, please keep the snide comments to the "I hate Hi-Point" threads.

Microgunner
September 9, 2011, 01:45 PM
From the many owners I've spoken with the .45 seems to be the most reliable.
I sold a HP JHP 45 to a fellow years ago and he still swears by it.

threegun
September 9, 2011, 02:56 PM
Wildbill himself asked for us to post our experiences with HiPoint.

and an open invitation to do what I have done here, post a video or photos that shares your personal experiences with your HI-POINT, and let the discussions and/or questions begin from here.

Albeit in video or photo format. My experiences are not on video or photo.

Still in this post the three main pro HiPoint posters have spoken about things like function and trigger without complaint. It seems only when the report is negative that hackles go up and OP's thread requirements are adhered to.

I'm not surprised. Seems his threads are full of bias. Which is why he was asked if he was being paid by HiPoint.

As for respecting the OP's wishes. Well when the OP himself is disrespectful and frankly outright nasty, should he get respect? The fact that Shortwave had to justify his actions on post 46 says it all.

I had to start a HiPoint thread to prove his charge that I was trying to get the thread closed to stymie hipoint talk, was wrong. Why, because my experience is negative and for some reason it isn't welcome. Yet folks can say that their HP's are reliable.

Yes I personally post alot and respond alot in threads I chime in on. If you disagree with what I have said expect me to respond. I would expect such in return. You guys however speak your opinion and then attack, deflect, and in some cases name call when your opinion is challenged. Not very nice or gentlemanly.

WildBill45
September 9, 2011, 03:13 PM
And again, please keep the snide comments to the "I hate Hi-Point" threads.

That is a wonderful thought! It always goes off track, and takes away from the fun of the fans of whatever the gun that is the subject on hand!

I have not handled the 9mm or smaller, but I am guessing they have different design parameters from the photos I have seen. All guns have problems; thus the reason my hunting buddy has a Glock Parts business that is booming ... if Glocks didn't break he would be out of business. If Smith and Wesson had a quiet repair shop, it wouldn't take weeks or months to get a gun back! Ruger is no virgin to gun problems either. I am NOT, in any way, saying HI-POINTS are better than the aforementioned products, just they are not alone in some problems developing in complicated machines, like a semi-auto!

Myths about HI-POINT:

1. They can't take shooting thousands of rounds like my ACME brand!

>> Maybe, maybe not, but most folks who buy HI-POINT probably doesn't want to spend the money to shoot that many rounds in the first place! They are on a budget, and some just want to keep the wolves from the front door ... is that that bad?

2. HI-POINTS are cheap!

>> Yes they are, $199.00 MSRP, and you are shooting a .45 auto ... is that that bad?

3. HI-POINTS are not accurate!~

>> Apparently you didn't watch the videos, only chimed in when you saw the name HI-POINT!

4. HI-POINTS are heavy!

>> Weighs in the same as most steel model 1911's, and most carry them all day!

5. HI-POINTS aren't permitted in my Snob Club!

>> Low price items like guns are not worthy to be in a Snob Club in the first place. If you are driving some sub-seventy-thousand-car, like a Mercedes, you are not eligible to be a Snob ... sorry!

6. HI-POINTS cause Cancer!

>> No, they cause large open-wound, body cavity, holes, the direct cause and effect of meeting one's ancestors!

7. HI-POINT fans think those who do not like them are HI-POINT-phobes!

>> HI-POINT Fans are more open minded, and welcome both sides of the issue when sticking to the issue ... the Gun itself. We like all our brothers and sisters out on the range!:D

8. HI-POINTS jam, and cannot be used for self-defense!

>> All brands can jam, mostly due to magazine and ammo problems, but, and there always is a but life, if it did jam, and you do know how to shoot, the bad guy will never know, as the big hole between the eyes from the FIRST, CHAMBERED ROUND, took away his memory, FOREVER! If the HI-POINT jammed on the 3rd round, the bad guy was shot twice, if the HI-POINT jammed on the 4th round, he was shot 3 times, etc!!!;)

9. HI-POINTS are ugly!

>> I will give you that one!:rolleyes:

10. What is the purpose of owning a HI-POINT?

>> For those without a Mercedes, and drive a trashy American car, it is an affordable way to defend, upend, and sort out bad guys who aren't Santa Claus late at night AND, just to have good Ole American fun on the range without spending the wife's shoe money ... THAT IS WHAT!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CVQSjqOkFY

Clifford L. Hughes
September 9, 2011, 05:21 PM
WildBill 45:

I agree with you that the Hi-Point is under rated. It's sad that a pistol is judged by its looks and not by its reliability. About twenty years ago a man shooting next to me had a stack of ten boxes of 9mm on his bench that he was shooting through a Hi-Point. He shot all ten boxes with out a malfunction and then he retrived four or five more boxes from his car and he fired those without a malfunction.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

threegun
September 9, 2011, 06:02 PM
Myths about HI-POINT:

1. They can't take shooting thousands of rounds like my ACME brand!

>> Maybe, maybe not, but most folks who buy HI-POINT probably doesn't want to spend the money to shoot that many rounds in the first place! They are on a budget, and some just want to keep the wolves from the front door ... is that that bad?

2. HI-POINTS are cheap!

>> Yes they are, $199.00 MSRP, and you are shooting a .45 auto ... is that that bad?

3. HI-POINTS are not accurate!~

>> Apparently you didn't watch the videos, only chimed in when you saw the name HI-POINT!

4. HI-POINTS are heavy!

>> Weighs in the same as most steel model 1911's, and most carry them all day!

5. HI-POINTS aren't permitted in my Snob Club!

>> Low price items like guns are not worthy to be in a Snob Club in the first place. If you are driving some sub-seventy-thousand-car, like a Mercedes, you are not eligible to be a Snob ... sorry!

6. HI-POINTS cause Cancer!

>> No, they cause large open-wound, body cavity, holes, the direct cause and effect of meeting one's ancestors!

7. HI-POINT fans think those who do not like them are HI-POINT-phobes!

>> HI-POINT Fans are more open minded, and welcome both sides of the issue when sticking to the issue ... the Gun itself. We like all our brothers and sisters out on the range!

8. HI-POINTS jam, and cannot be used for self-defense!

>> All brands can jam, mostly due to magazine and ammo problems, but, and there always is a but life, if it did jam, and you do know how to shoot, the bad guy will never know, as the big hole between the eyes from the FIRST, CHAMBERED ROUND, took away his memory, FOREVER! If the HI-POINT jammed on the 3rd round, the bad guy was shot twice, if the HI-POINT jammed on the 4th round, he was shot 3 times, etc!!!

9. HI-POINTS are ugly!

>> I will give you that one!

10. What is the purpose of owning a HI-POINT?

>> For those without a Mercedes, and drive a trashy American car, it is an affordable way to defend, upend, and sort out bad guys who aren't Santa Claus late at night AND, just to have good Ole American fun on the range without spending the wife's shoe money ... THAT IS WHAT!

Response to the ten myths from someone with tons of experience with the brand from sales to repair.

1. Are made ZAMAK and to the cheapest of spec possible. Are prone to breakage with much less use than better brands.

2. Can't be a myth if its true. Hipoints are cheaply made and cheaply priced.

3. Definitely a myth. With the new models having a much better trigger you can actually enjoy the accuracy potential.

4. 1911's are heavy and so are HiPoints. This is due to the ZAMAK metal being weaker and thus more must be used and the blowback design.

5. They are permitted but they are laughed at.

6. Many thing cause cancer

7. HiPoint fans think anybody who has bad to say about them is a hipointaphobe

8. HiPoints have a much higher rate of failure and should only be used in SD if nothing else better can be had.

9. Yes they are but that is not relevant.

10. Hard very hard one......... its better than no gun

I will add cannot safely be carried chamber loaded. This forces the slide to be racked in front of the threat. Racking the slide has a much higher failure rate than while being fired. Now you must do so and pray.

They are prone to broken or bent firing pins.

They are prone to magazine induced failures.

And a P.S. for the OP

but, and there always is a but life, if it did jam, and you do know how to shoot, the bad guy will never know, as the big hole between the eyes from the FIRST, CHAMBERED ROUND, took away his memory, FOREVER! If the HI-POINT jammed on the 3rd round, the bad guy was shot twice, if the HI-POINT jammed on the 4th round, he was shot 3 times, etc!!!

You are a fine shot as proved by your video's. For the same reason I rebut the claims of the wonderful HiPoint, because uninformed folks might get one for SD without knowing the bad side, I must call foul with this statement. The differences between SD and the range are many. Gunfight stress for starters. This alone has made the greatest shooters flat out miss. Movement, bad guys tend to move more than targets at the range. Angels, bad guys tend to give angles which can make targets skinnier/smaller and change the bullet path angle causing a well place shot to miss organs/brains. Bottom line is you likely won't be able to carefully take each shot. Then the above factors are working against you. Don't count on head shot hits and don't count on 100 percent hit ratios.

shortwave
September 9, 2011, 07:21 PM
threegun,

I do not believe you could shoot angels with any gun and kill them no matter how they're angled.

Why would you want to shoot angels anyway?:p:D

threegun
September 10, 2011, 07:04 AM
OOPS:eek:

Why because thats what people from the dark side (Glock owners) do. We drink koolaid and shoot angels at different angles.

I read that thing twice also and didn't spot it.

Cheapshooter
September 10, 2011, 08:34 AM
4. 1911's are heavy and so are HiPoints. This is due to the ZAMAK metal being weaker and thus more must be used and the blowback design.

A straight blow back design of any material would have to be heavier than a locked breach design...Just plain old physics!!! You're delaying the pure inertia of the 45acp with simply weight, not mechanical action.

threegun
September 10, 2011, 03:06 PM
If you check out the Walther ppk 380acp vs the HiPoint 380 acp, both blowback designs, the HiPoint is much bulkier. I must ask why? I already know but I must ask you anyway. HiPoint will tell you why as well.

I did include blow back as a reason.

Shadi Khalil
September 10, 2011, 05:08 PM

priceless indeed.

twins
September 10, 2011, 09:11 PM
WildBill,
I don't have any videos or photos to share but I want to say I love shooting my HiPoint C9 Comp. I bought it in 2002 and it has been accurate, reliable, and just plain fun to shoot with minimal maintenance. It eats all types of ammo and ask for more. In 9 yrs, I've yet to do a complete tear-down/clean (I normally do a 1 min CLP spray/wipe and boresnake) and it shoots just like the first day out of the box. Since it is an easy gun to shoot accurately for me, I have no hesitation using it as my protection gun.

Thanks for making a video and showing your experience with it. I have similar experiences with my C9 Comp.

Cheapshooter
September 10, 2011, 09:24 PM
September 4, 2011, 05:50 PM #21
Cheapshooter

That's it!!! This thread is the final straw!!! Gun show next weekend, so I'm gonna buy one just to find out for myself!!!
After all, with a user name like mine, shouldn't I own a Hi-Point.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!

OK, kept my word on this one. Bought a C9 today. I may not get to try it this week. Got some projects to complete, and some gettin' ready for a 4-wheeler weekend!
I'll get to the range if I can, otherwise it'll be sometime after next weekend.
No pics. Who wants to see a Hi-Point anyway!:eek:
First impressions:
Defiantly shows signs of being made for a low price.
Out of the box I noticed the slide is pretty stout to pull back, but so is my Springer XD-40 Sub!
The trigger isn't the most comfortable on my trigger finger.
At first the safety was a bit hard to engage, but with a little operating, it got better.
Take down looks like a pain. "drive the retainer pin out"? Not the easiest to do, I gave it a little tap, and no movement. I think this one may just get cleaned with opening the slide only!
The magazine seemed to lock in tightly, and fell free when the release is pushed.
The trigger OMG!!! Needs a Go-rilla on steroids to pull!!! I hope this is one of those things that "wear in".
All in all, so far, for a buck and a half out the door I'm not too concerned.
Just wish the dealer who sold it to me would have given me the brown paper bag I aaked for to get it out of the place without being seen!:D:D:D

shortwave
September 11, 2011, 12:56 AM
Cheapshooter,

Make sure you do a cleaning on the gun and mags before you take it out.

The last couple HP'S including a C9 I brought home was jammed full of thick packing oil.

Cheapshooter
September 11, 2011, 10:24 AM
Make sure you do a cleaning on the gun and mags before you take it out.

The last couple HP'S including a C9 I brought home was jammed full of thick packing oil.

Did you drive out the retaining pin, and take the slide off, or just clean and lube what you could with it on?

I didn't notice any heavy grease anywhere, but the bore was coated pretty heavy with oil.
After cleaning well with Hoppe's #9, I put a drop of CLP where I could, and a tiny dab of Shooters Choice Hi-Tec grease on the bearing surfaces of the frame, and slide. As I do on all my semi-autos except my G20 Glock which says in the owner's manual "do not use grease".

Grant D
September 11, 2011, 10:36 AM
WildBill45

Thanks for the vid's, very intertaining, keep them coming!
And yes...I own a lot of high end weapons....AND A HI-POINT (correct spelling) 9MM 995 CARBINE!! It's lots of fun to shoot. Have it for nocturnal critters around the house.The haters are just jealous we're having so much fun with them. lol!

shortwave
September 11, 2011, 11:08 AM
Cheapshooter,

I didn't pull the guns all the way down. Just cleaned, blew out were I could with compressed air and re-oiled every thing the best I could.

Also, I didn't find any heavy grease either. Just some very heavy packing oil on a few that looked as though the factory double coated them or something.

threegun
September 11, 2011, 11:11 AM
The haters are just jealous we're having so much fun with them. lol!

Although I don't have a stitch of hate for my fellow gun owners, I am regularly placed into the haters group because my experiences with Hi-Point have been mostly bad. I never get jealous at a shooter having fun UNLESS the shooter is shooting something I want but cannot afford.

Grant D
September 11, 2011, 11:27 AM
threegun...it was a joke ! lighten up a little!! lol

Cheapshooter
September 11, 2011, 11:34 AM
I think Hi-Pointaphobe is a little kinder, gentler, than hater and gun snob.:D

threegun
September 11, 2011, 12:12 PM
Amazing what forgetting a simple LOL can do LOL.

C0untZer0
September 28, 2011, 09:10 AM
The Hi-Point
More lovely than a Cat-9
So some say

khegglie
September 29, 2011, 09:45 AM
Hipoint in the subject line= thread war even if the gun is not argued about.
These guns are like they are radioactive or something(I have a 995 That I love).

aarondhgraham
September 29, 2011, 10:16 AM
Today I am the Haiku Police,,, ;)

An American Haiku (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku) is:

5 syllables
7 syllables
5 syllables

Not a bad try though,,, :)

Aarond

C0untZer0
September 29, 2011, 09:00 PM
Observe the Hi-Point !
More lovely than a Cat-9.
That's not saying much.

Rodger_p
September 30, 2011, 10:00 AM
COunt,

That haiku made coffee come out my nose!

Rodger_p
September 30, 2011, 10:01 AM
And I own a 995TS
:)

darkgael
September 30, 2011, 10:31 AM
I was invited to shoot a Hi-Point the other day at the range. I had just finished with my own gun-for-the-day, a Springfield 1911.
The Hi-point went bang. The bullets hit the target. It doesn't cost a lot.....
What's the problem?
For less than $200 bucks, one has a functioning gun. Nice to see someone out at the range having fun.
Did it shoot as accurately as the 1911 (or...was I able to shoot it as well)? No, it didn't (and I wasn't). Then again, I have shot quite a few guns that don't shoot as well as my 1911s.
Camp Perry and being able to compete with the best....maybe you disagree with Mr. Ludwig but he does have a point. The Hi-Point isn't gonna hold less than two inches at 50 yards - not, at least, the one that I shot. I don't believe that you'd be laughed off the line, most Bullseye shooters are too polite for that, but you'd certainly be at a handicap.
The bit of your video that I saw (am having a serious problem with my internet service) was good shooting. I was unable, though, to get a sense of the distance involved. With that target, it should have been 50 feet.
Also - a complaint about wording, not so much about shooting.....shooting at a bullseye target is not te same as "Bullseye shooting", which, as you know from experience, is done one hand unsupported.
Perhaps when I get to see the entire video, I'll have to edit this.

Pete

Cheapshooter
September 30, 2011, 03:14 PM
September 4, 2011, 05:50 PM #21
Cheapshooter

That's it!!! This thread is the final straw!!! Gun show next weekend, so I'm gonna buy one just to find out for myself!!!
After all, with a user name like mine, shouldn't I own a Hi-Point.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
OK, kept my word on this one. Bought a C9 today. I may not get to try it this week. Got some projects to complete, and some gettin' ready for a 4-wheeler weekend!
I'll get to the range if I can, otherwise it'll be sometime after next weekend.
No pics. Who wants to see a Hi-Point anyway!
First impressions:
Defiantly shows signs of being made for a low price.
Out of the box I noticed the slide is pretty stout to pull back, but so is my Springer XD-40 Sub!
The trigger isn't the most comfortable on my trigger finger.
At first the safety was a bit hard to engage, but with a little operating, it got better.
Take down looks like a pain. "drive the retainer pin out"? Not the easiest to do, I gave it a little tap, and no movement. I think this one may just get cleaned with opening the slide only!
The magazine seemed to lock in tightly, and fell free when the release is pushed.
The trigger OMG!!! Needs a Go-rilla on steroids to pull!!! I hope this is one of those things that "wear in".
All in all, so far, for a buck and a half out the door I'm not too concerned.
Just wish the dealer who sold it to me would have given me the brown paper bag I aaked for to get it out of the place without being seen!

Quick report. I got to shoot the Hi-Point C9 yesterday. About 300 rounds total. I started with some old Olympic 115 gr. I had on the shelf. Loaded up a mag with 8 rounds, aimed at a target @ 10 yds, and bang, low/ left, bang, low/left within an inch of the other round! Bang, low/left, again within an inch and a half. BUT!!! FTF. Cleared the jam, and though Oh, OH, here comes the Hi-Point blues!
A couple turns of the sight screws up, and to the right, and another mag full. This time 8 around the bull, and no FTF! A little more tweaking, and some shooting from a rest, and I was tearing big ragged holes in the targets. WITHOUT ONE MORE FTF!!!.
I set up 3 4" caldwell targets, put 5 rounds in the Hi-Point mag, 5 in the mag for my Beretta 92fs, and FEG P9RC. Off hand, 10 yds., pick up and shoot. The Hi-Point held it's own with the other two just fine! (Pics to follow when I get time)
Then I moved the target to 25 yds, and shot off a rest. Surprising, the point of impact was about 4" higher, but still nice tight ( for me) groups.
As far as the cheapo steel case Russian stuff, about once or twice per mag full I had to bump the back of the slide to get iinto battery. I don't rrmember the brand, something like WMR Military or something.
The trigger pull is still hard, but I learned to almost "stage" it before the release, so I isn't as bad as I thought it would be.
Reliability with decent ammo, after the one FTF on the third round was 100%.

Is it a bullseye target pistol-No
Is it my first choice for SD-No
Would I recomend one to someone who could not afford something else-Absolutely
Will it become another fun range toy in my collection- Darn right!
This thing is the most fun I've had for a hundred and fifty bucks since Tiffany at one of the clubs on the East side!!!

(Just kidding about Tiffany)

darkgael
September 30, 2011, 06:24 PM
Cheap: Nice report. I had similar feelings about the one that I shot though I didn't get to do as much shooting as you. The fellow who owned the gun had no reliability issues during the time he was shooting.
Pete

Cheapshooter
September 30, 2011, 08:55 PM
Here are pics of some my targets from yesterday. All pretty common examples of the Hi-Points accuracy, and excluding my lack thereof!

But first a comparison pic of my Hi-Point C9, and my every day carry S/A XP40 Subcompact. Granted the Springer is a 9+1 40, vs the 8+1
9 MM of the Hi-Point, but the "bulky" myth is kind of shot down with this pic!

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii385/bobwehnert/007-1.jpg

Now, my targets @ 10 yds, off hand two hand hold defence stand rapid fire, 5 rounds.. Pick up the gun from the table, and shoot
L.=Beretta 92fs C= Hi-Point C9 R=FEG P9RC Caldwell 5.5" Target

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii385/bobwehnert/001-3-1.jpg

Finally, and a BIG surprise to me. 25 yds from a rest with the Hi-Point, UMC 115 gr, 5 rounds Caldwell 8" target. C to C spread= 1 1/2 inches!!!

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii385/bobwehnert/009.jpg

This was with a 6 O'Clock hold, so I might adjust the sights a bit, and have fun busting clays, and dueling tree targets @ 25 yds with this thing!

In conclusion I am very happy with this "pot metal, unreliable, inaccurate POS Hi-Point.
Now I see a Hi-Point 45 in the not too distant future!
I might even take Tiffany to the range some day and teach her to shoot! LOL:D

C0untZer0
September 30, 2011, 11:23 PM
You are comparing the Hi-Point 9 to a 40 cal pistol that Springfield Armory just happens to call "compact".

If you put the Hi-Point up against a Kahr CM9, or a Ruger LC9 you'll see its NOT compact.

Cheapshooter
September 30, 2011, 11:31 PM
You are comparing the Hi-Point 9 to a 40 cal pistol that Springfield Armory just happens to call "compact".

If you put the Hi-Point up against a Kahr CM9, or a Ruger LC9 you'll see its NOT compact.

Actually S/A calls it a Sub Compact!
The comparison wasn't as to what anybody "calls" their model, just a general comparison between what many say is the clunky, over sized Hi-Point, and my EDC Springer! I do have an LC9 on my short list for something between my XD40, and LCP pocket gun. Just haven't got one...yet.

As far as the Hi-Point goes. It actually feels very good in my hand. It points very well, and is comfortable to shoot. It's going to see a lot more range time in the future.

Cheapshooter
October 1, 2011, 12:28 AM
deleated

WildBill45
October 3, 2011, 11:38 PM
Also - a complaint about wording, not so much about shooting.....shooting at a bullseye target is not te same as "Bullseye shooting", which, as you know from experience, is done one hand unsupported.
Perhaps when I get to see the entire video, I'll have to edit this.

Technically you are right! But, and there always is a but in life, I was not shooting officially as you can see, just trying it out on paper indoors. Most of my other shooting with the Hi-Point was outdoors on plates, or long range paper shooting!:)

spacecoast
October 4, 2011, 05:25 AM
That was my observation too... two-handed shooting at 25 or 50 feet bears very little resemblance to shooting "Bullseye".

darkgael
October 4, 2011, 06:35 AM
Wild Bill: I still haven't been able to get my Internet connection up to snuff (Love Verizon, doncha?) so I haven't been able to see the rest of your shooting. What I did see was better than I expected with that gun.
My comment about Bullseye shooting was in response to your earlier comment about the HP being, perhaps, appropriate for Bullseye competition (the thread title and the "she will shoot with the best of them!"). So...I'd expected to see you shooting as you would be doing at a Conventional pistol match.
I do understand that, as you said in the video, you were just shooting for group but the title and intro led me to expect something else.
Pete