PDA

View Full Version : Which 1911 for carry?

coop2564
September 6, 2011, 08:50 PM
Which one would you pick, why? All are 4" models.

TimW77
September 6, 2011, 09:01 PM
I'd always pick a Colt over a Kimber...

Every time I tried to buy a Kimber, once I looked at the Kimbers, I ended up walking out with another Colt.

But, the last time I went in to buy a Colt I walked out with a Springfield Armory 1911 instead!!!:D

T.

Don Glock
September 6, 2011, 09:02 PM
colt. i would avoid kimber like the black death.

Glockgrabber
September 6, 2011, 09:02 PM
Colt, only because Kimber had some horrid qc issues lately (if these are older kimbers, id probly get the kimber)

Charlie_98
September 6, 2011, 09:13 PM
Funny, I'm the guy that sold my Colt for a Springfield, and sold that for a Kimber. We are still very much in love, even after 10 years...

I voted for the CDP, that was before I realized it had the short grip frame. If you have small hands the CDP would be fine, otherwise I would take the Crimson Carry II. I actually went in to get what was the CDP (back in 2001) but after handling the short grip, I went with the Pro Eclipse II... and I'm very very glad I did.

My Pro Eclipse II is my everyday carry...

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x39/Charlie_98/45right.jpg

shortwave
September 6, 2011, 09:37 PM
Colt.

If you ever need CS, you'll be glad you did.

Hardcase
September 6, 2011, 09:42 PM
I carry a Colt Officer because it's the smallest .45 I own. But you ought to pick what works best for you.

45Gunner
September 7, 2011, 03:07 AM
Have a Colt Officers .45 ACP and had my share of problems until I figured out what I needed to do the gun after each time it was used.

I own four Kimbers and have never had a major problem. One gun had to go back to the factory. It was dealt with swiftly and with the utmost courtesy and the information flowed freely back and forth.

For those that poo poo Kimbers, either they had a lemon or perhaps never even owned one but heard lots of second hand horror stories...ya gotta love the Internet. I bet my life on my Kimbers every day. What does that say?

scsov509
September 7, 2011, 03:54 AM
I can only speak for myself, but I've had nothing but good experiences with all my Kimbers. So, of the three you listed I'd go CDP, and in fact did purchase CDP Pro earlier this year. I prefer a Pro size gun for the full frame in my larger hands and also like that I can use one magazine size in all my 1911's, but if a compact frame fits your hand then more power to you. I think the Colt CCO and Kimber Crimson Carry are great guns, but I bought the CDP because it had the features I wanted in and EDC gun such as carry melt, checkering underneath the trigger guard, ambi safety, etc. I'm also a big fan of Truglo TFO sights, and at present Kimber is the only dovetail that Truglo is make the TFO for in the 1911 platform. So I bought it as my ideal EDC gun, and it's what I carry every day now. :D

scsov509
September 7, 2011, 04:04 AM
colt. i would avoid kimber like the black death

Care to elaborate at all as to why you've got such a distaste for Kimber since the OP asked for an explanation of your recommendation?

Colt, only because Kimber had some horrid qc issues lately (if these are older kimbers, id probly get the kimber)

That mean you're a Gen-4 Glock hater too? ;)

Carry_24/7
September 7, 2011, 04:11 AM
ScsoV509; you will never get a detailed explanation. I've asked many times, and still none; because there is none. It's legend. Sure, there are posts where their Kimber failed, but the same goes for every other maker as well.

I'd own any of the ones the OP asked about, but the only one I have personal experience with is the CDP, and mine has been flawless.

David the Gnome
September 7, 2011, 09:00 AM
I would choose the Colt without a moments hesitation. There are too many companies with excellent reputations to take a chance on a company with a less than stellar reputation. You can say what you want about Kimber but nothing changes the fact that they do have a somewhat shady reputation. With so many excellent alternatives out there, why take the chance?

Shane Tuttle
September 7, 2011, 09:05 AM
Which one would you pick,

Colt CCO. I handled and shot one a while back. It might be a purchase I make to carry when I get back to the states...

why?

I've had experiences with Kimber. Everything from paying my hard earned money for them after so many gave glowing reviews of the company and its products, to dealing with customer service, to buying more ammo than I cared for to abide by their "break-in" BS, to losing my butt monetary wise to off-load them.

Here it goes again: The mantras of "it's the internet commandos", "whoever gripes about them never really owned one", or my personal favorite, "I've never had problems with mine, so that makes Kimber great and I can be dismissive to anyone that has what they think are problems".

Pretending Kimber has no discernable problems with what they're manufacturing is, well, outlandish.

Pretending Kimber makes nothing but garbage is, well, outlandish.

Our board is an even playing field when it comes to praising and admonishing firearms. People come to gripe with no claims to back it up, we call them out. If they present their case in fairness, then I believe it should be taken at face value. There have been plenty of members with bad experiences with Kimber and have provided explicit details on their misadventures to provide information as objective as possible. It's more difficult to prove positive notes on a firearm with the same style of documentation.

There have been well respected individuals in the firearms communities that don't exactly shed a bright light on Kimbers as well. Combine this with others that have been earnest in their misfortune leads me to firmly believe some happy Kimber owners don't want to hear the facts. Hey, you're happy with yours? I'm happy for you. I mean that with sincerety. I don't want anyone to go through what I and many others have.

I bet my life on my Kimbers every day. What does that say?

It says it's great that YOUR Kimber is trusted. Doesn't account for the tens of thousands of puppy-milled 1911 variants of theirs out there, though...

overkill0084
September 7, 2011, 09:24 AM
You missed one:
Dan Wesson CCO.

Skadoosh
September 7, 2011, 09:26 AM
I had an early manufacture Kimber. I presently own a Colt, which I prefer. Incidentally, I was just offered $1,500 for my Colt Combat Commander...which of course I turned down.

golfnutrlv
September 7, 2011, 09:31 AM
Overkill beat me to it...I am seriously thinking about getting one of the Dan Wesson CCO's myself.

That said, I also own a Kimber Custom II with night sight, and slim grips. Don't believe everything you hear about Kimber's. THey are great pistols, and definitely worth it.

Mine has about 2,000 rounds through it, all in the last 8 or 9 months. It jammed once in the first 100 rounds. Flawless since.

45Gunner
September 7, 2011, 09:47 AM
I've had experiences with Kimber. Everything from paying my hard earned money for them after so many gave glowing reviews of the company and its products, to dealing with customer service, to buying more ammo than I cared for to abide by their "break-in" BS, to losing my butt monetary wise to off-load them.

Shane,

Sorry to hear that you have had such a bad time with Kimber. I bought my first Kimber over 15 years ago and have since acquired 3 more. Each gun has been flawless with the exception of one which was quickly corrected by Kimber after bringing the problem to their attention. I have several other friends that have purchased multiple Kimbers after shooting mine. Each has the same glowing report about theirs. You must have reached into a barrel of lemons and picked the worst of the worst.

1911's are unique guns even tho they are an old, proven design. As I have stated in the past, every manufacturer that makes one, has a little idiosyncrasy built into their models that can be determined only from reading the owner's manual.

My first 1911 was Colt 1991A1 which, like the energizer bunny, just kept going and going and going. Based on that great experience, I purchased a Colt Officer's .45 ACP which did nothing but give me problem after problem after problem. After several gunsmiths added their fix, the gun still was malfunctioning and I was about to give up on it. As a last resort, I detailed stripped the gun and discovered that the extractor was in need of a tune up and the channel in which it lived was so clogged with gunk, it had no breathing room. After I cleaned it, the gun became reliable. Go figure something that simple could cure any problems?

I own many, many different 1911's from a slew of manufacturers and have discovered Kimber to be the best of the best out of the box. (I don't own a Baer or other way over priced gun). And all my friends that own Kimbers will tell you the same about the models they purchased...extremely accurate and reliable out of the box.

And like you have discovered, there are many who would bad mouth a product having never owned one. You, on the other hand, happened to be the rare person that has had a bad experience. I would be very happy to take any Kimber off your hands just so I could see for myself how bad your particular gun is. By the way, I have found that Kimber, in my opinion, had been guilty of using recoil springs that were too light. A simple change fixed a lot of potential problems.

Coltman 77
September 7, 2011, 11:51 AM
I'd choose the Colt without hesitation.

jimbob86
September 7, 2011, 12:04 PM
Springer EMP.

31 ounces LOADED.

Carry_24/7
September 7, 2011, 12:17 PM
It's not just the gun, the shooter/maintainer has a large influence over it's function, especially with a 1911.

This bickering over gun types will never end. But I understand, I feel the same way about a couple of brands.

KyJim
September 7, 2011, 01:28 PM
Springer EMP.

31 ounces LOADED. In .45 acp?

I have an alloy CCO (Sig C3). So, for me in an alloy CCO, in order:

1. Dan Wesson CCO (soon to get)
2. Colt CCO (maybe to get)
3. SW E Series CCO (don't recall the model name right off)
4. Bill Wilson Carry -- it would be number one except for the cost.

Kimber is not on my list.

jimbob86
September 7, 2011, 01:39 PM
Springer EMP.

31 ounces LOADED.

In .45 acp?

Nope, but I'm fine with that.

I toted a 5" steel framed .45 ACP for a year..... got tired of pulling my drawers up constantly, got belt or not.....

dgludwig
September 7, 2011, 05:37 PM
Colt: the "Prancing Pony" offers more than just tradition and resell value. I've owned more than a few Colts in my life and they have invariably been reliable, well-made and accurate pistols. I have no experience with Kimber and they may well be just as nice.

Chui
September 7, 2011, 05:47 PM
Les Baer, Wilson, Ed Brown just to name three or have a Springfield or Colt modified to your specs.

KyJim
September 7, 2011, 06:16 PM
Les Baer, Wilson, Ed Brown just to name three or have a Springfield or Colt modified to your specs. Brown doesn't make a CCO. I don't think Springfield does either.

Wilson does make one (Bill Wilson Carry Model) and I drool over it. I have the Baer version (Stinger) and love it. I didn't list it above because I limited my list to alloy CCOs (the current Colt CCO out there is alloy framed).

Mrgunsngear
September 7, 2011, 07:20 PM
I don't want to be labeled a kimber hater but I've had a bad experience with them. My Ultra Carry II didn't fire properly at all until I had about 500 rounds through it and had changed out a lot of the internals/magazine. I know lots of people love them and have guns that function well but that wasn't my experience. I don't own any colt 1911's, but I've fired at least 10 and they all seemed like solid guns.

mavracer
September 7, 2011, 08:33 PM
I'm not really not a Kimber hater I just prefer Colt.