PDA

View Full Version : To Stainless or not to stainless?

proxpilot
September 6, 2011, 08:12 PM
should i leave it original or should i give her a makeover? if so how would ya do it? Cerakote? spray paint etc?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/proxpilot/001-1.jpg

BeachHead
September 6, 2011, 08:28 PM
I think it looks great as is.

dunerjeff
September 6, 2011, 08:41 PM
unless a gun is really worn or rusting I see no reason to refinish,Unless it is done professionally it is kind of a c***shoot as far as how it turns out.Most of the "paints" look cheap to start or they go downhill pretty fast.(thats why I say professionaly).Plating type finishes are just better,though for a badly worn gun it may be worth a try, but your gun looks in to good of shape.IMHO
for the cost of refinishing I'd trade in for a gun with the finish I want.

pilpens
September 6, 2011, 08:57 PM
put on the wood grips, then it is done.

C0untZer0
September 6, 2011, 09:06 PM
http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=73520&stc=1&d=1315361003

If anyone who reads this is actually contemplating
spray painting or putting Ceracoat or Duracoat on a Sig

Please just sell it.

38superhero
September 6, 2011, 09:07 PM
I'm with CZ on this...

AustinTX
September 6, 2011, 09:48 PM
Put the wood grips on it and leave that German Sig alone.

Charlie_98
September 6, 2011, 10:01 PM
Put the wood grips on it and leave that German Sig alone.

Amen.

The OP title was to 'stainless or not to stainless...' and spraypaint ain't stainless! You want stainless, go buy stainless.

Nakanokalronin
September 7, 2011, 04:22 AM
I'd say to Duracoat the snot out of it and then fill in the lettering on the slide with white crayola.....

.......seriously though, put those wood grips on and be done with it.

C0untZer0
September 7, 2011, 08:36 AM
^ White crayola is passé

Use Gold nail polish !

(Instructions can be found on YouTube)

Skans
September 7, 2011, 09:05 AM
How do you apply stainless over aluminum?

David the Gnome
September 7, 2011, 09:25 AM
If you want a more durable finish and want the stainless look, do it properly and have a hard chrome or nickle finish applied. There are many places that do gun plating, some of which who even specialize in SIGs.

http://www.ccrrefinishing.com/hg.htm

http://www.customizedcreationz.com/services/platings.html

C0untZer0
September 7, 2011, 12:35 PM
CCR has a great rep on the Sig forums but some people on the Glock forums have had trouble with them:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1367687

It's hard for me to take the OP seriously when his thread title says "Stainless or not to stainless" and then he talks about spraypaint or Cerakote.

But for other people reading this thread - I just wanted to pass on the info about CCR.

C0untZer0
September 7, 2011, 12:38 PM
And Todd McKechnie's stylized HK P7M8...

Red lettering on a P7M8 and the white nail polish that the Glock fan boys do with thier Glocks...

Seriously ???

Rinspeed
September 7, 2011, 03:34 PM
Stainless isn't a finish. :confused:

CrazyHorse89
September 7, 2011, 04:21 PM
Leave it

proxpilot
September 7, 2011, 05:00 PM
the wood grips are already on i just didnt have a current picture. it's at SIG right now getting the Sig service package.the whole spray paint was a little joke.

proxpilot
September 7, 2011, 05:04 PM
Stainless isn't a finish.
wait, are you sure? :rolleyes: i should have specified stainless color finish for the people that cant decipher that. thanks for pointing that out though.

sirgilligan
September 7, 2011, 05:25 PM
If you refinish it then you might not want to do anything that would wear out the new finish. :rolleyes:

Just leave it alone in my opinion.

C0untZer0
September 7, 2011, 05:49 PM
This is the great thing about a Glock - it's ugly.

It's ugly and I don't fret over the asthetics of it. I could care less if the finish is wearing off - like I've said before, I worry about how my Glock looks about as much as I'd worry about keeping the spade on a shovel looking nice.

Shadi Khalil
September 7, 2011, 05:57 PM
wait, are you sure? :rolleyes: i should have specified stainless color finish for the people that cant decipher that. thanks for pointing that out though.

I'm still confused....

The Sig nitro finish is IMO one of the best basic factory finishes out there. My P239, which was carried day in day out for 5 years, saw countless draws from a kydex holster and plenty of other drills shows no signs of wear. I'd leave the finish be and save the wood grips for a 1911.

Sent via Android

Kreyzhorse
September 7, 2011, 06:34 PM
Like has been said already, put the wood grips on it and leave it alone. Certainly don't spraypaint the damn thing.

Mrgunsngear
September 7, 2011, 07:34 PM
I would leave it for this reason: Gun finishes are like car paint. The factory paint can be removed and you can have something else applied but it is rarely (read: only if it's expensive) done to the same standard as the original. If the finish is holding up fine, I say leave it. That said, I've had a few guns refinished by ccrrefinishing.com using their NPII finish. It's like NP3 but at half the cost. It's an electroless nickel finish and is 'self lubricating' like NP3 (I'm not sure anything is actually self lubricating but that's another thread...). All the guns I've had done have held up perfect and the finish looks great IMO.

I attached a photo of a PT1911 that has the slide done in NPII, and compared to the nasty 'blue' finish it came with, it looks great IMO. I also have a few glocks done and it looks/feels identical to my EXO glock.