View Full Version : Please tell me the procedure

July 9, 2011, 07:07 PM
I want to add a side folding stock and possibly a foregrip to my MPA30T. I know where to buy the stock and that I need to get a "tax stamp" for it because it will be considered a SBR. How do I go about getting the forms a d paying the required fees? I would imagine one should do the paperwork and pay the tax fees before buying the stock, correct? Would it make any difference of I added the foregrip later than the stock? Thank you.

July 9, 2011, 08:52 PM
If you're building the SBR as an individual:

You fill out an ATF Form 5320.1 in duplicate. Each one requires an in INK signature. So if you're photocopying it, sign it AFTER you copy it. While you're at it, fill out a 5330.20 as well. Commonly called a "Form 1" it's the form that you need to fill out to build a SBR.

You will need to engrave the receiver with your Name, City and State. You need to get the fingerprint cards, and the photos for the form 1 and take it to your local Sheriff or Chief Law Enforcement Officer to have it signed off.

Then you send the Form 5320.1 in duplicate with your passport photos, finger print cards, and a 5330.20 to the ATF. Then you go ahead and wait. A couple months or so later, you'll get your approved 5320.1 back in the mail and you can go ahead and buy your stock.

If you're doing it as a trust or LLC:

I presume you already have the Trust or LLC set up with the appropriate paperwork.

Fill out the 5320.1 in duplicate. Forget the finger print cards, or the photos. Forget the CLEO signature as well. (Trusts or LLC's don't have fingers or pictures.)

You can then engrave your Receiver with "XXXX, Trust" or "XXXX, LLC."

Then you send your Form 5320.1 in duplicate to the ATF. Some examiners STILL require the 5330.20 but some of them don't. You may as well send one in anyway. You need to send a copy of your trust with the Schedule A, or a copy of the certification of the LLC.

Once you have your sbr registered, you can go ahead and add a fore grip any time you want to.

Hope this helps.


July 9, 2011, 10:11 PM
Form 1


July 10, 2011, 12:00 AM
My local sheriff or police chief? Really?

For those of us that don't live in Mayberry what is the usual method of doing this part? I can't imagine you just walk into the nearest office and drop it off at the front desk.

Willie Lowman
July 10, 2011, 12:07 AM
Yes. Really.

Some people do just drop off their form 1 or form 4 and wait for the CLEO to get to it.

I call the sheriff's office and ask to make an appointment to talk to the sheriff. I explain who I am and what I want and that it will only take 5 minutes of his time. I usually see him a week later.


July 10, 2011, 12:08 AM
Also, why do you have to engrave your name and city/state on it? Doesn't registering or by the serial number cover that information?

Willie Lowman
July 10, 2011, 09:56 AM
Because that is the law.

When you SBR something you are manufacturing it. You are the -new- manufacturer of the gun and your name, city, state must be engraved.

July 10, 2011, 11:37 AM
Fair enough.
Do I mail the check with the forms or wait for an approval?
I live in a suburb. Can I put the major city's name on the reciever?

I do find it just a bit silly that I am now a "manufacturer" because I added an accessory with a little Allen screw BUT then again, logic and the government have never really played well together.

July 11, 2011, 07:17 PM
Mail the check with the paperwork.

You should engrave the name of the city and state that you live in, and that should match the city and state on the form 1.