View Full Version : Transfer of a used gun with a suppressor.

July 6, 2011, 12:57 AM
If I were to buy a used gun with a suppressor (removable) on it do I have to register it. ($200.00) or just do a (transfer $5.00)?

I know I have to go though all the paperwork but a dealer told me I just do a transfer.

July 6, 2011, 01:01 AM
if it's a short barrel rifle, then you need to pay a $200 Transfer tax.

The $5 transfer tax is for AOW's.

If the gun is a pistol, it transfers as a pistol.

The suppressor needs to be transfered on a $200 transfer tax.

This is presuming I read your question correctly.

July 6, 2011, 01:35 AM
The discussion was about a private party that wants to sell his Walther with a Gemtech suppressor.

I thought the Dealer told me that I would only have to do a $5.00 transfer. I may have miss understood him as I thought I would have the $200 tax to transfer.

We were also discussing estates and spouses. I thought he told me the $200 had to only be paid on the original purchase.

I know that is not how it is with machine guns, but, was hoping I understood right about the suppressor.

It then would make sense to look for used ones.


July 6, 2011, 10:03 AM
Any time a silencer or other title firearm (like a machine gun) is transferred between two individuals or from an individual to a dealer, there is a $200 tax paid. If the sale is taking place across state lines, there are two $200 taxes paid as the silencer changes hands three times, but the transfer from dealer to dealer is tax free.

The silencer is always re-registered to the new owner upon transfer.


July 6, 2011, 06:50 PM
Thanks RAnb!

I talked to the dealer today. He was talking about an AOW that was inherited.

We just talked about to many things at one time:D

I listened to my wife and started the paperwork on a Suppressor for 5.56. (She didn't understand why I had put a deposit on a 22LR can as she knows I don't hardly ever shoot my 22's)