View Full Version : Grip hardware question

June 30, 2011, 07:47 PM
Hey all,

Sorry if this is a stupid question but it has been on my mind since I put some wood grips I bought from Midway on my 629.
I noticed that the screw that holds the grips to the gun doesn't seem to have (and I apologize for the lack of terminology) the brass washers that I have seen in most wood grips. In other words the screw goes directly into the wood. I don't know if that is common but I was wondering if there is any way I can find somewhere to buy them so that the wood won't strip when I shoot or disassemble them? Or is it worth it?

Here are some close up pics:



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

June 30, 2011, 08:38 PM
The brass washers you are referring to are called "grip screw bushings". On the colt 1911 pistol, the grip screw bushings are screwed into the frame. S&w factory grips have them & some aftermarket grips may or may not. Pachmayr rubber grips have steel bushings molded into the rubber.

My all-time favorite grip for the n-frame smith & wesson revolvers are the "hogue monogrip"---really fit the hand well & absorb recoil. Oh yeah, send that big boy to maganaport & have the barrel ported. Had my model 29-2 done in 1977 & have never regretted the decision.


June 30, 2011, 08:43 PM
Midway said they were surplus factory grips but I doubt it because they are conversion grips.

Any idea if I can buy them and put them on myself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

June 30, 2011, 09:57 PM
Escutcheons. I'd have a look at Gun parts Corporations catalog and see if the have any.

June 30, 2011, 10:06 PM
Problem with the hogue monogrip is that it makes the beauty of a model 29 look...well, no so beautiful. I love the wood grips on my 29, I hate the feel though...my hand, it bleeds...(the top of the grip digs into the webbing of my thumb and breaks the skin...)

Hogue wood grips though...hmmm.