View Full Version : Hey all, quick question, and intro.

June 17, 2011, 01:15 AM
First off hello everyone,

I recently had the opportunity to fire a full auto weapon, WOW! I'm in love.

I MUST have one, should my homeland be invaded I feel the need to be as well armed, or better than the trespassers of my great nation. Wouldn't hurt to have one if the zombie apocalypse came about either.

So I've been researching on how to legally obtain one, the owner of the weapon i shot purchased his weapon in the 70's, when apparently it was much easier to obtain one.

So my research has led me here, I've been reading some of your posts. I was very happy to stumble across a thread that said if you had a trust you could obtain one without having the local "big shot" sign off.

My professional title is "independent petroleum landman" , I spend most of my work day reviewing deed records in a courthouse in bum ****, TX. I can literally type up a living trust with my eyes closed. I'm happy to save some $$ on that.

I do have a few questions however, let me give the would be advisers some information that might expedite the process.

I am a resident of Louisiana
I am trying to obtain a m4/16 lower that I will be attaching a SBR upper to.
I may also like a suppressor
I have the ability to set up a trust as aforementioned
I am the president of a corporation registered in the great state of Louisiana
My significant other enjoys shooting as well, it would be nice to have her "legally" able to possess the firearm/arms I wish to obtain
I'm not a felon, I have never been turned down for a handgun/rifle


Is there a site I can reference that would spell out if a SBR, fully auto rifle, suppressor is legal in LA?

If I did obtain the ability to own this rife, what would be the legality of carrying them across state lines. (mainly into TX, MS, AL, FL)

Are they passing out these things if the person applying for them is eligible, or is there some sort of limit on how many they issue?

What is the chance that if I spend the 200 dollars to apply for the lower that I get accepted?

Thanks in advance for all of your help, I'm happy to finally be a member of a forum that accepted my hotmail email address.

June 17, 2011, 04:16 AM

In my opinion, NFA guns have never been 'easier' to buy than since the internet got started.
Back when I bought most of mine, information on guns for sale was only through dealers or attending shoots. There was no ready means of advertising privately held single and small collections. More available info means more buyers. Prices kinda reflect that.

The transfer time has never been much different, at least since the early '80s. My longest, three months - shortest, eighteen days.

I can't answer the 'trust' question, as I really have no idea what the trust is. I do look forward to someone answering it.

An online check of your State firearms laws should spell out what is legal to own.

I understand you need to have sent in a Federal form -5320- to cross state lines with registered guns, although not suppressors.
I do not believe you are able to have a registered gun as your regular interstate traveling companion. Ready to be corrected on this though.

No limits on the number of registered guns that you can own.

Being granted approval to own a registered firearm is no different than a regular handgun. Just different forms to fill out and a longer period of time to receive approval.

Hope this helps, JT

June 17, 2011, 01:31 PM
thanks jt!

you wouldnt happen to know how much i can pick up a complete m4/16 lower for would you?

June 17, 2011, 06:54 PM
whether or not you want a Colt lower or a non-Colt lower. The M16 style lowers are the "cheapest", the M16A1 lowers are more expensive and the M16A2 style lowers are the most expensive. Not buying the upper will save you a couple of hundred dollars. For current prices checkout the NFA Ads section of www.subguns.com or www.sturmgewehr.com.

David Hineline
June 18, 2011, 12:16 AM
No need for a trust if you and your wife are in the corporation, the corporation is allowed to own property including firearms.

A M16 will start at $10,000 and move on up as you want rare items.

LA also requires a state level permit in addition to the federal permit.

You will need to do federal paperwork each time the gun leaves your state of residence.
This dealer's website lists some dealers in your state, any one of them can answer your questions.


June 20, 2011, 07:48 AM
The NFA was just as hard in the 70s as it is now. Same process. The only difference is that now machine guns are a lot more expensive since we are not allowed to make new ones. In fact for all other NFA firearms I would say that the process is now easier since due to inflation $200 is a lot cheaper today than it was in the 70s or even the 30s when the law was passed.

June 20, 2011, 04:56 PM
A full auto doesn't need an SBR stamp for a short barrel, if remember correctly.

June 20, 2011, 05:06 PM
A full auto doesn't need an SBR stamp for a short barrel, if remember correctly.

Correct. Being a machine gun trumps barrel length.

You will still need another stamp for a suppressor, though.

June 20, 2011, 09:43 PM
i was really hoping that i could get away with a 5k lower, i really just need the trigger work and selector switch, i wanted to build everything else from the stock to the flash suppressor with selected parts by me.

June 21, 2011, 09:14 AM
i was really hoping that i could get away with a 5k lower,

Any registered M16's (with or without barreled upper) and registered DIAS are now selling for well over $10,000. You might be able to find a lightning link in the $7,000 - $8,000 range.

Full Autos selling in the $5,000 range are subguns like Grease guns, Stemples, M76,s M10's, etc.

The cheapest .223 full auto will be a basic AC556 (basically full-auto mini-14) - starting price for those is somewhere around $6,500.

Full Auto FNC's are selling for about $7,500+

These prices are rough estimates.

You might be able to use your corporation, but a Trust is better for the long run (as laws stand right now) because there are no state annual renewal fees. Do yourself a favor, get a lawyer who knows how to do these trusts to do one for you - folks claim they have had them done for $300. You might be able to do it yourself, but if you screw it up, 1) it might not get approved; 2) it could be a problem later on; 3) if/when you die it could be a big problem for your heirs.

I thought that a number of Sheriffs in Louisiana would still sign-off on a Form 4. If your Sheriff will sign a Form 4, then that is still (in my opinion) the best way to go. If the gun is registered to you, it will be nearly impossible for some stupid future law to restrict your right to actually shoot it (I am not saying that there is, or will be such a law - just some "chatter" out there about NFA loopholes, etc.)

David Hineline
June 21, 2011, 12:50 PM
What you have to understand about machineguns, if you are buying a serial number that is legal to use, the rest of it has no more value than any other stupid gun.

So once you pay the $10,000 for a legal serial number then you can finish the rest out the way you want.

For $5000 budget you can almost get something like a Smith and Wesson 76

Definatly a dressed up Crobray M11 but there is nothing in rifle caliber for $5000