View Full Version : Winchester Model 97 question...

Danger Dave
August 17, 1999, 02:28 PM
I'm about to order a new cyl. choke barrel for my model 97 (takedown receiver style). My question is: How do I get the old barrel off & install the new one?

I just want to be sure I don't muck anything up trying to figure it out...

4V50 Gary
August 18, 1999, 12:04 AM
There were two different models of the Win 97. A fixed barrel model where the barrel was screwed into the receiver and a take down model.

On the take down model, empty the firearm (safely and not into the neighbor's car) first. Point in a safe direction. At the end of the magazine tube, you'll see a pin. Push it through and using it as a lever, rotate the tube so as to disengage it. It should lift up slightly and with it, you should be able to pivot the barrel/tube assembly off the receiver. Pull apart and you're finished.

If you're having trouble, repost and I'll try again.

Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

4V50 Gary
August 18, 1999, 12:07 AM
Oh, if you want to change barrels all the time on a take-down model, you'll need to buy a new barrel, the barrel block (probably a better name but I don't recall the proper name), wedge, and screw (check GunParts for the proper name). I had one such set up with both a 20" and a 30", but it was stolen years ago. Win Model 97 ser# D412481 if anybody ever comes across it.

Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Harley Nolden
August 18, 1999, 05:02 AM
Hang on, I have the disassembly slides and will send them later today. Have to do some "Honey Doo's" first.


Danger Dave
August 18, 1999, 03:15 PM
Thanks, guys!

Gun Parts Corp. has a checkered stock combo listed for less than $75 - I'll probably have to pick up one of those, too... Then the other '97 will feel neglected, so I guess I'll have to take it shooting...