View Full Version : PPS long barrel?

April 15, 2011, 10:41 AM
Say i were to buy one of these 10in barrel PPS 43 "pistols" with their folding stocks tack welded shut.

Then say I were to buy a 16in barrel to replace the 10in barrel.

Could I cut the tack weld? Or is that some kind of "illegal manufacturing"?

David Hineline
April 15, 2011, 08:33 PM
You would just be converting a pistol into a rifle, no problem but if a rifle is what you want then why buy a pistol.

Not knowing the specific guns you are talking about, there could be something about eviling up an imported weapon which would need enough US manuf. parts to qualify as a US manuf. weapon before you could add a folding stock.

April 16, 2011, 01:28 PM
this is what i was referring to:


they are for sale on a bunch of different sites.

i was looking at these barrels (http://www.buymilsurp.com/pps-43-barrel-762x25-165-length-threaded-in-stock-p-40065.html).

didn't think about the importation/# of US parts issue...although doesn't that apply to pistols as well, meaning the manufacturer/importer would have already taken care of it?

David Hineline
April 16, 2011, 11:10 PM
$119 for a barrel it's only $81 more for the tax stamp to register the barrel it comes with.

April 17, 2011, 01:07 PM
but thats yearly, right? i would have to pay $200 for the tax stamp every year, correct?

(sorry, im an NFA noob)

April 17, 2011, 01:33 PM
no, its a one time tax. but you will still need everything as if buying a machinegun or suppressor...chief LEO signoff or start a trust.

complete copy of trust paperwork, with said gun listed
2 ATF form 1(application to make a firearm)..."short barreled rifle"
2 18USC compliance forms
1 check for 200.00

Chief LEO:
2 ATF form 1, signed off on by police chief or Sheriff(there are others that can sign)
2 18USC compliance forms
2 passport photos
2 FBI "blue" fingerprint cards, rolled and filled out by local LEO
1 200.00 check

gun will need to be ingraved with makers name(you) name/town/state

David Hineline
April 17, 2011, 09:18 PM
Yes it is a one time tax that is paid everytime ownership of the firearm changes.

Fingerprints, BATFE background check, Chief law enf. officer in your area signs the form, wait 90days for approval, then unfold the stock into a rifle. Also paperwork needed to cross state lines.

This assumes NFA short rifles are legal where you live.