PDA

View Full Version : which aftermarket j frame grip type ?

benogil
April 2, 2011, 04:11 PM
I have a heirloom 1919 4th change snubbie, when looking for grips I see round and square types. Can anyone tell me which configuration fits this revolver ?
It has the original grips, but I would like to update them.

Thanks,

Winchester_73
April 2, 2011, 04:23 PM
Well for starters, the J frame debuted in the 1950s. If you're referring to the S&W M&P 1905 4th change (pictured) then you need a K frame aka medium frame grips. There are literally millions of different replacements because the gun sold so well consistently. Here is a pic of mine, a square butt:

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww332/357SandW/SW1905and11-2.jpg

I have a K frame round butt but no pic. Just google search " S&W K frame round butt" and you will see pics. Round butts are uncommon in pre war M&Ps. If your gun is what you say it is, it should not have a letter on the butt. It will just be a number.

Winchester_73
April 2, 2011, 04:26 PM
I just realized:

I have a heirloom 1919 4th change snubbie,

So since its a snubbie, the opposite is true since snubbies were commonly ordered with round butts to ease concealment. A square butt K frame snubbie is fairly uncommon for this reason.

benogil
April 2, 2011, 04:34 PM
Thanks Winchester,
Just wanted to make sure before I go shopping. Since it almost a century old, I wasn't sure.

David the Gnome
April 2, 2011, 04:56 PM
If you can post a picture of it we could more accurately identify which grips you can use. :)

benogil
April 2, 2011, 11:15 PM
Thanks guys,
I will post pics, but after going through google images, it is definitely a round butt frame. Only wear is a small amount on both sides of the barrel at the front from the Mexican holster I got with it.
One of those kept in a drawer, or nightstand, rarely fired. Or, only fired on New Years Eve from what I remember.

Winchester_73
April 3, 2011, 09:15 AM
FYI - the sight should be a round blade like mine and it should have the patent dates and caliber neatly centered on the side of the barrel. If not, the barrel has been cut or it could be a replaced barrel from a latter K frame snub. If original, as you describe, its a collector's item as the 2in is the rarest M&P length. Depending on the SN, the grips could have no medallions, large gold recessed medallions (my pic) or small silver medallions. All of these grip types would have a diamond around the screw escutcheon (center).

benogil
April 3, 2011, 12:49 PM
Winchester,
It has all of what you are describing. I really do need to get it " papered " by Mr. Jinks soon. It has the silver medallions.