View Full Version : SBR to AOW?

March 28, 2011, 07:17 AM
I have a semi-auto MP5K-PDW (clone) that I SBR'd. Currently it has the folding Chaote stock on it and vertical foregrip. If I wanted to replace the folding with just the standard MP5K end cap, does the weapon go from being an SBR to an AOW in which case I will be in trouble? Or, does it matter since the weapon is still a SBR without a stock?

David Hineline
March 28, 2011, 09:49 AM
A short rifle does not matter if it has a buttstock or vertical pistol grip at all.

March 28, 2011, 10:17 AM
I would think this would fall under the different uppers on an AR-15 thought. As long as you have all the pieces to put it back to the described Form-1 configuration you can "temporarily" change its configuration.

Question though, seeing as I'm about to send off my paperwork for a PK, why do you want to take off the stock?

Willie Lowman
March 28, 2011, 12:20 PM
The weapon is still a SBR without a stock.

I don't think you could even change the registration of the gun from SBR to AOW. AOWs cannot be made from rifles.

March 28, 2011, 01:01 PM
The reason I would want to take off the stock is to make the envelop as small and as light as possible. Without the folding stock, it's an MP5k, and it is very slim and accurate out to 25 yards using the proper sling technique.

With the folding stock, it is an MP5K-PDW and is kind of chunky in a shoulder rig. Granted the folding stock does make the weapon accurate out to 50+ yards, but I wanted to know if I could change it out for an endcap without creating an unregistered AOW.

March 28, 2011, 01:24 PM
Ah, ok. You might wanna check your ccw laws to make sure that a SBR is allowed to be carried concealed. In FL SBR's are not allowed to be carried concealed.