View Full Version : I need a clip

February 26, 2011, 02:25 PM
Anyone have any idea where I can get a clip for a Remington Model 522 Viper .22 LR rifle? I came up empty on Midway, Cabela's, Weidener, Cheaper Than Dirt.

February 26, 2011, 03:18 PM
Try looking for a magazine at www.Brownells.com

February 26, 2011, 03:21 PM

30 second search. It ain't cheap though.

February 26, 2011, 04:07 PM
Actually, you need a magazine. Not a clip.

MW surveyor
February 26, 2011, 07:18 PM
Try Numrich Arms for your magazine.

February 27, 2011, 07:15 PM
Thanks to all - but let me ask - what's the difference between a clip and a magazine? Ever since I was a kid we called a magazine a clip.

February 27, 2011, 07:26 PM
A clip is a "temporary" bullet holder that is used with a weapon like a M1 Garrand. You fill the clip up with ammo and shove it down into the rifle to load it. A magazine is what actually holds the ammo you are shooting.

February 27, 2011, 07:33 PM
AKA stripper clips.

Don H
February 27, 2011, 09:28 PM
A visual aid to differentiation:



February 27, 2011, 10:21 PM


February 28, 2011, 01:39 AM
And of course, there's the ever popular banana clip.

February 28, 2011, 10:30 AM
After this, I would imagine Cdoc42 wont make any mistakes with his terminology related to ammunition feeding. Love the pics! :D

February 28, 2011, 11:12 AM
I have 2 for 523 and 521.I don;t know if they are compatible with 522. Contact my email [email protected]

Clips,mags or gizmos we know what you mean. The 2 I have are for the 513 T and will also fit 521 . They are 10 rds and they are for sale

Chris D
February 28, 2011, 12:24 PM
As soon as I read the title, I KNEW I'd laugh at the posts... lol...

February 28, 2011, 12:39 PM
ROLMAO.......looks like my post WWII relatives didn't know the difference between a magazine and the clips they used in their rifles...so passed it down to me and I never bothered to question it. Thanks for the clarification. I don't feel too bad, though - I still run into shooters who call the cartridge a bullet and the bullet "the tip."

March 2, 2011, 08:51 AM
I just read an article in GUNS that was discussing the M-1 Garand and it showed a picture, and described the "clip" being inserted into the "magazine" of the rifle. Does that mean if a rifle has what has been described herein as a "magazine", the magazine fits into the magazine?

Mike Irwin
March 2, 2011, 09:10 AM
"A clip is a "temporary" bullet holder...."

Ya know, try to be a terminology pedant and get hoisted by your own petard... :p

A clip holds CARTRIDGES.

A bullet is but one component of a cartridge.

Mike Irwin
March 2, 2011, 09:12 AM
"Does that mean if a rifle has what has been described herein as a "magazine", the magazine fits into the magazine?"

No. In a rifle with a detachable magazine such as the Remington 522, the magazine fits into the magazine housing.

When you remove the magazine from the rifle, it no longer has a magazine.

A rifle like the Springfield 1903A3 or M1917 Enfield has an internal, non-detachable magazine, which can be loaded either with single rounds or by use of a stripper clip.

Jim Watson
March 2, 2011, 09:24 AM
"A clip is a "temporary" bullet holder...."

Ya know, try to be a terminology pedant and get hoisted by your own petard...

I love it!
There are worse things than an Internet Expert telling me that my war vetran ancestors were wrong when they loaded all their guns with "clips" whether M1 rifle or M1 carbine.

Like said I.E. loading his Ammunition Feeding Device with "bullets."
Or "boolits" when he does not cast projectiles over a campfire.
Or finding a .30 caliber rifle with a .308" "bore" diameter.
Or aiming his M1, M16, or Palma Match rifle with "open sights."

March 3, 2011, 10:11 AM
Lets not forget the drum magazine


And the more expensive beta-style drum


March 3, 2011, 10:26 AM
Numrich has two. Original Remington is sold out but if that is what you want then check every week or so until they become available. Their aftermarket magazine is a few dollars cheaper than Sportsman's Guide. Always good service from Numrich.


March 3, 2011, 12:58 PM
Thanks, Tuzo - ordered it today

March 3, 2011, 01:33 PM
Easier to remember is if it has a spring in it it is a magazine.

Now.... Is a speedloader considered a clip? A Bianchi Speed strip???

Mike Irwin
March 3, 2011, 01:59 PM
"Easier to remember is if it has a spring in it it is a magazine."

Sorry, but there have been numerous clips that have incorporated springs.

For example, Mauser-style stripper clips. The spring helps hold the cartridges in the clip and helps keep them from rattling.

"Is a speedloader considered a clip? A Bianchi Speed strip???"

Yes to both.

March 3, 2011, 02:00 PM
I was trying to simplify it for the younguns. :o

March 3, 2011, 02:17 PM
A clip feeds a magazine, a magazine feeds a firearm.

Mike Irwin
March 3, 2011, 02:24 PM
And I take great glee in making them furrow their brows and purse their lips in confusion... :D

March 3, 2011, 07:24 PM
Bananna magazine? Drum magazine? Me thinks maybe the sarcasm around here is getting thick:rolleyes:

Mike Irwin
March 3, 2011, 08:44 PM
Actually banana and drum are two legitimate descriptions for magazines.

A banana magazine usually is curved, not unlike a banana, and is quite long.

This is a pretty good example of what some might call a banana magazine: http://www.gunsamerica.com/998635448/Non-Guns/Magazines-Clips/Rifle-Magazines/10/22/Ruger_10_22_24Rd_22_Magnum_Gun_Magazine.htm

A drum magazine looks not unlike that instrument.

This is an AK drum magazine: http://www.rusmilitary.com/images/ak_drum.jpg

Probably the most famous and familiar drum magazines are the 50 rounders for the Thompson, the snail drum magazine for the Luger Artillery Pistol (http://warrelics.eu/forum/military_photos/firearms-ordnance/66987d1259467694t-wwi-unit-marked-lp08-artillery-luger-lots-other-stuff-cropped-resized-right-side-pistol-snail-drum-loader-take-down-tool-scn4531.jpg), or the 71-round drum for the Soviet PPSh submachine gun.

March 3, 2011, 08:53 PM

LOL.....What a Great Illustration !!!!!