View Full Version : Security Six Cylinder Swap for Unfluted Cylinder Possible?

January 28, 2011, 10:54 AM
Kind of a odd request. But has anyone successfully found a way to convert their Security/Speed/Service Six, either .38 or .357 to a unfluted cylinder?

I know Ruger never made such a thing from the factory. So this would be purely aftermarket or retro fit from another revolver. I know that Biseley, Vaquero, Blackhawk cylinders wont work. They might fit, but since they're single action it won't have an ejector.

Just curious if anyone has attempted such a thing before. Maybe with a SP101? Or GP100? I'm wondering if there any custom service that makes unfluted blanks and can be chambered for 357 and cut/fitted to a security six frame. Or something like a unfluted cylinder from a S&W 686, could it be fit to the Security Six Frame? I don't know the dimensions. I know that a GP100 is a comparable L-frame size to the S&W 686.

I'm sure the cost wouldn't justify the means. But that is for normal people. Apparently I like ridiculously expensive little projects like this.

Thank you in advance

January 28, 2011, 12:21 PM
It would be incredibly luck if any other gun cylinder would fit and function.

It is more than just 'it fits in the frame' since the advance pawl, cylinder bolt and firing pin all must fit and align perfectly.

Without factory tooling a new cylinder is a significant piece of machining to produce (many setups are required).

Chuck Dye
January 28, 2011, 12:30 PM
Bowen Classic Arms (http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/) might do the job, as might other custom gunsmiths, but at a price.

January 28, 2011, 01:48 PM
Another possibility is to call Ruger to ask about what you want. See if they will be running replacement cylinders any time in the forseeable future. If so, you might be able to get them to simply skip the fluting step on one for you. If so, that's going to be less expensive than a custom machined cylinder.

January 31, 2011, 02:46 PM
Well I did talk with Bowens and they do not offer that service. They referred me to Clements Custom Guns. They only offer a unfluted cylinder, but as part of their .44spl conversion. I did call Ruger. They don't even have parts listed for any of the Six series.

I know I'm kind of asking the impossible and probably should just face it, this part don't exist.

Only other idea I thought of, I know of someone locally that that does high quality stainless welding. Typically its commercial grade, but he does some work on the side. I'm wondering if its possible to weld in the flutes, and then grind back to a flat surface. IF that were even possible, I would have to think there would be some discoloration between the original cylinder stainless and the welds stainless.

I dunno, that's getting pretty drastic I think though. Of course I could always have him try on a project test cylinder

January 31, 2011, 04:22 PM
I would have to think there would be some discoloration between the original cylinder stainless and the welds stainless.

No, a good welder with the correct rods can make it pretty much invisible.

The issue is going to be compromising the strength of the cylinder.

The welder I use for space grade work said he would never touch a job like this for that reason (though he has made welds on stainless gun parts that are not exposed to chamber loading).

Ben Towe
February 4, 2011, 04:36 AM
No way I would weld on it! I love unfluted cylinders too, but not that much. It would only take a little too much heat and that thing would blow sky high the next trip to the range.