View Full Version : Wood Stock Repair

January 18, 2011, 06:53 PM
Hi I have an old wood stock that had a type of sling swivels that were recessed into the stock and held in place with 2 scews, I removed them and would like to fill in the area that is about 1/2" wide and 1" long and about a 1/16" deep. Is there anything besides Acraglas for this job? thanks Bob

January 18, 2011, 07:14 PM
how about wood?

January 18, 2011, 08:04 PM
how about wood?
Good suggestion and just about any inlay would be nice. It's hard to match up to any existing wood so if you are going to have a contrast why not consider other inlays or fills. I have done ivory, mother of pearl, German slilver or just a metal blank cover. You can also mix just about anything into epoxy and press it in. I have also taken wood sandings mixed onto the epoxy and work that in. You have a very small surface and somewhat hidden in the belly and gees, you have lots of choices. Understand that I am not at all familiar with your piece so not sure what will work out best for you .... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

Ideal Tool
January 20, 2011, 02:19 AM
Hello, Pahoghunter. Just curious..What is the make of rifle and why did you remove the swivels? I have a few old rifles with such swivels, the old time gun smiths usually had a better eye for art than most modern gunsmiths give them credit for. What with the labor involved in inletting the base & drilling two holes, I think they are classier than the simple screw in a hole modern types. Just my opinion.

January 21, 2011, 06:07 PM
Its a J C HIGGINS Mod. 50, I removed them because I wanted the quick release stud type. And the inletting was crude.