View Full Version : ? about firearm license

January 9, 2011, 10:52 PM
first off I live in hendry county Florida
second i want a concealed weapons license and a license to own burst or full auto guns which i think it is called a class 3 license if any of ya'll can give me more info on how to obtain either it would make me very happy

January 9, 2011, 11:11 PM
For your concealed carry you have to "(pay) $118 & you have to provide photos, fingerprints, proof of safety training, & a notarized application."

I don't think you want a class 3 license since that would involve becoming an FFL, but what you want is a class 3 weapon. You need to find someone who is selling a pre-86 fully transferable machine gun, purchase it, send your application to the atf , pay your $200, and if everything goes well you can take possession of your gun in 2-3 months.

Remember doing Full auto isn't cheap. About the cheapest is a Mac 10 3-4k; for something worthwhile(AK,AR) I would assume somewhere around 15K.

January 9, 2011, 11:23 PM
well if i do get a full auto it would be 2 ak-47's and a ar-15 and what is a ffl

January 10, 2011, 12:17 AM
A license to sell firearms and inorder to obtain it you have to be in the business of selling firearms to acquire the license

January 10, 2011, 12:24 AM
Everything you need for a CCW.


I can't help you with the Class III stuff, never interested me.

January 10, 2011, 01:00 AM
so could i carry inside of like walmart or anywhere like that?

Willie Lowman
January 10, 2011, 01:31 AM
well if i do get a full auto it would be 2 ak-47's and a ar-15

The cheapest I have seen a fullauto AK-47 in the last year was $14000

Are ya still gonna get two of them?

As for where you can carry with a CCW license. Your local sheriff's office or police station will probably have a booklet with all the info you need.

Mike Irwin
January 10, 2011, 01:47 PM
Back down. EVERYONE! :mad:

IF any of you don't think you like the motivations of a poster, you REPORT your concerns to a moderator!

You do NOT take it upon yourself to call out that individual!

I'll remind everyone of TFL Rule 3 regarding personal attacks.

Yes, accusing someone of being a troll qualifies as a personal attack.

And engaging in personal attacks can result in permanent revocation of your ability to post at TFL.

What can also result in a permanent revocation of posting privileges is responding to accusations of being a troll with inappropriate language.

If I haven't made myself clear as to my intent, or if you don't think I'm serious, go ahead and continue as you were.

I guarantee you, you won't continue for long.

January 10, 2011, 03:22 PM
You generaly cannot get a license to own machineguns. You can buy a machinegun and make an application to BATFE to have it transfered to you and,pay a $200 tax. This requires that you first purchase the machinegun, then fill out a Form 4, finger print cards, submitting a passport photo and obtaining a sign-off from the Chief Law Enforcement Officer in your county. After you've bought the gun, submitted the paperwork and $200 to BATFE, you will wait 3-4 months for them to complete a background investigation on you. If you pass, the Form 4 with a tax stamp will be sent back to you and ONLY THEN, can you take delivery of your machinegun.

FYI, like others have mentioned - machineguns are expensive. AK's go for about $14,000 +/-. The lowest priced full-auto guns are usually M10's (Mac 10's), which sell for somewhere in the neighborhood of $3,500. Then you have the ransfer fee that you will likely have to pay to an NFA dealer.

Most average Joe's, like myself, bought machineguns when they were in the high hundreds, low thousands. They were still expensive, but $14,000 is out of my ballpark just to shoot a full-auto. However, as an investment, they've proven to be pretty good.

January 10, 2011, 03:24 PM
so could i carry inside of like walmart or anywhere like that?

This is at the discretion of whoever owns the property. Private property can make whatever rules they want and you must obey or be escorted off the premises.

I know, no matter what, there are some theme parks that prohibit ANY firearms being carried. They don't care if you're secret service escorting the President, there is no weapons allowed.

January 10, 2011, 03:37 PM
CCW and NFA (National Firearms Act) weapons are two different things.

Others have discussed the CCW. Properly permitted, you can carry in various places in your state and often in others states. Usually educational courses are required, and they will tell you all about that.

As for full auto (among other items regulated by the National Firearms Act of 1934), there's a bit of confusion on the part of the uninitiated. "Class 3" is often used as a catch-all for these items, but that's incorrect. It does not refer to the items themselves, but to a type of Federal Firearms Licensee. It is a Class 3 SOT license (that is, Special Occupational Taxpayer) that allows a dealer to deal in such items. You won't go for a Class 3 license unless you want to be a dealer. I doubt that's what you're wanting.

What enables a private citizen such as ourselves to own such things without being a SOT is the NFA tax stamp. The way it works was well laid out by Skans. You start by finding the firearm you desire. You purchase it, but you cannot take delivery at that time. You must fill out an ATF Form 4, have fingerprints taken, attach a photo, and have your local chief law enforcement officer sign off on it. You do this in duplicate. You send this off with a check for $200 (the fee for a full auto or suppressor tax stamp) for EACH item. A few months later, your transferring dealer receives the paperwork back with the tax stamp attached. At that point you can finally take possession of the item.

It isn't as hard nor as difficult as many think, but it IS a long process. Thanks to the 1986 closure of the NFA registry for fully automatic firearms, they are also FAR more expensive than they would otherwise be; a transferrable M16 (one on the NFA registry and legal to be transferred to a citizen) ends up costing somewhere in the neighborhood of $10,000-15,000, the last time I checked. That is an extremely significant investment, and you haven't even begun to shoot it yet.

Find a dealer in such things in your area and make his/her acquaintance. They will guide you through the process. It's intimidating at first, but when I got into suppressors, my dealer was great at explaining things.

January 10, 2011, 03:47 PM
Thanks to all. You have all been very helpful.

January 10, 2011, 09:03 PM
Considering that you don't know what an FFL is I'm assuming that you are relatively new to firearms. You probably shouldn't jump into full autos just yet. If you're interested in carrying go to a local gun store and pick up a glock or something for under $1000. Also you could start on a semi-auto AR or AK. Both can be purchased for under $1000

January 10, 2011, 09:38 PM
well im already in the process of getting a s&w m&p or mp (i dont remember which it is) 40 from bass pro shop with this laser that goes on the handle of the gun it really nice and i already have rifles and shotguns but i want to be able to carry a handgun legally when i travel and as far as the assault rifles go if i was to get one well i would want real assault rifles and not semis

David Hineline
January 10, 2011, 11:07 PM
The florida carry permit is one of the best, check
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf to see how many states honor the Florida permit.

As for a machinegun, understand first the penalty for an illegal one in the US is up to 10yrs in prison and up to $250,000 fine for each offense. That being said to buy the three guns you want M16, and Two AKs you are looking at around $40,000.00 for one legal to own. You can buy fewer guns or cheaper guns, but you can't get into any machinegun for less than $3500.00.

You will have to learn what states allow machineguns, and not go there with them, and any time you want to take your machinegun out of Florida you would have to notify the BATFE and wait for their approval first. You have to file where you are going with the machinegun and the dates you are leaving and the date you are returning to Florida with the gun.

Mike Irwin
January 11, 2011, 09:47 AM
Well, if you have the money, you can certainly get a real assault rifle.

Only problem is, they're expensive.

Last registered M-16 I saw for sale was $45,000.

Last registered AK-47 I saw for sale (better than a decade ago) was over $20,000.

January 11, 2011, 11:07 AM
Mike, I think your prices are a little high. There's a transferable Oly, registered receiver, M16 advertised on Buddy's board for $10,500. There's also an AK-47 Type 56S advertised for $13,900 - and I think that's a little high.

FWIW, 10.5K for a registered receiver M16 seems like a pretty good deal....out of my price range, but if I were cash-rich, it would be tempting.

Willie Lowman
January 11, 2011, 12:56 PM
I know Mike's prices are a little high. I looked at a Colt 614 that had a $12000+ price tag on it recently. Reuben was selling M16A1s for $13000+ last year.

January 11, 2011, 07:05 PM
FYI - Class 3 licenses are impossible to get because they don't exist. Class 3 is a tax bracket, not a license or a permit. Anyone using the term "Class 3 license" is actually perpetuating a misnomer.

All you need is your NFA Tax stamp in Florida, nothing else. Tax stamps are issued specific to the item so you have to have something in mind before you can start the purchase process.

Mike Irwin
January 12, 2011, 09:37 AM

Note that I said the last ones that I saw.

I wasn't attempting to be definitive.

January 12, 2011, 01:11 PM
so if the weapon is legally attained and the FL CCW is legally attained, Goshinki can carry a full auto with no extra provisions in FL(basically the same as carrying a snubnose revolver)?

January 12, 2011, 02:30 PM
thats a good question youngunz but from my understanding i would just be able to own one not carry one

January 12, 2011, 05:41 PM
No, you can't carry a fully automatic firearm.

Also - attain is to achieve through accomplishment. Obtain is to acquire.

January 13, 2011, 11:41 AM
Although I have never heard of anyone being legally permitted to carry a full-auto gun, in my State apparently you can use one to defend yourself in your home and/or on your business property. See Beckwith Incident.