View Full Version : Good OU shotgun to cut?

Deja vu
January 9, 2011, 10:51 PM
I have been thinking about getting an OU Short barrel shotgun for some time.

I originally wanted a side by side but I just like how the cut down OU ones look with a pistol grip and a 7-10 inch barrel.

At first I wanted to just buy one from a company that makes short barrel shot guns but 99% of them are pump shot guns and the remaining 1% are SXS.

So Unless I find a place that sells premade OU SBSs it looks like I will be buying a full sized one and paying a smith to cut it down (after the $200.00 stamp tax of course)

What I am looking for is a OU that is fairly cheep (I don't want to destroy a work of art) I also want it to have a 3 inch chamber... not because I plan to use it a lot but I would like to shoot a Dixie tri-ball out of it at least once (may be only once):eek:

p.s. would it be possible to put chokes tubes in a barrel this short? Not that its necessary I just think it would be fun. Also let me know if you know a company that makes these guns and sells them with a form 4 transfer rather than a form 1.

January 10, 2011, 04:32 PM
Choke tubes in a short barreled shotgun????:confused:

I have seen some cheap Stoger O/U shotguns for about $325 - that's about the cheapist I've seen. That's probably what I'd look for, maybe even used.

January 10, 2011, 06:37 PM
Remington Spartan O/U, around $500 I think, Stoeger condor around $350

January 10, 2011, 07:24 PM
Tubes wouldn't be a problem as the barrels are most likely thicker that far back...........prudent to do so? That's another question

As to what to attempt this on, anything over the cheapest, most poorly made guns from Brazil/Turkey/China would be a waste.......so find one of them

January 10, 2011, 08:20 PM
i was looking at some today online and they were listed on a form 1 as aow or somthing like that . i may have read wrong but it was only a 5.00 tax stamp ? Im kinda interested in this topic . I have a rather odd sawed off , its a mossberg bolt action 12ga . i was bored , paid 150 for it at the gun show and it had a polychoke but it would not hold a patteren to save its self , so it got a hack job .kinda funky to work a bolt action with a pistol grip . lol . I did not mean to hijack the thread but IM trying to avoid making a new post .

January 10, 2011, 08:45 PM
IF you cut it down, it isn't an AOW, it is a SBS - $200.........

taking something like the Mossberg 500 cruiser that left the factory with a PGO and then converted like Serbu does with their "shorty" is a $5 stamp to you.....(they have already paid the $200 stamp to make it)

January 10, 2011, 10:20 PM
ohhhhh. i think you could get a 870 thugged out for 7-800 or 3-500 if you provide the gun

Deja vu
January 11, 2011, 12:46 AM
I know many people ask why to putting threads on... I know its not going to do a lot but its more for the "fun" factor, this is not meant to be a practical gun, its meant to be a fun one.

January 11, 2011, 01:12 AM
The new Maverick O/U home defense shotgun might be a good candidate.
Don't see it yet on their site but the Silver Reserve may be a good choice as well http://www.mossbergintl.com/pages/silverreserve.htm

January 14, 2011, 04:26 PM
Have you ever shot a pistol-grip only shotgun?

Bogie was ouchie...

I'd consider adding a front handgrip, so you could at least have to hands on the thing... Some sort of shock absorbing material might be nice. Gloves at a minimum.

IIRC, $200 mfg tax is the same regardless, but if you can make an AOW, then you're ahead with only the $5 transfer tax.

Another thought - consider the length of the action - IIRC, most side by side locks are shorter than over/unders...

Deja vu
January 16, 2011, 11:56 AM
I have shot the super shorty Its a short barrel AoW pump shot gun.

but I want a double barrel not a pump.

Yeah I have thought about how most OU have a longer forgrip. At this point I am not sure what I am planning.

January 16, 2011, 03:37 PM
Do you understand how a O/U's barrels are madeā€¦ typically, the barrels are secured at the block and at the muzzle, the remainder is unanchored. Some of my O/U shotguns have side ribs, others are open. Typically, the side ribs are decorative and add little structural support.

When you cut the barrels behind the muzzle, you are removing their structural constraint and all regulation may be lost. Before you worry about screw-in chocks, you need to work out how you are going to structurally reconnect the cut barrels. If you simply ignore re-anchoring the muzzles, what do you think is going to happen with those barrels the first time you light off some of those Dixie Darlings? You might consider using something like the Krieghoff barrel hanger.
Image: Krieghoff International
On the other hand, some O/Us have straps joining the barrels as part of the forearm's mounting design. With the barrels cut short enough, these straps may provide adequate support.