View Full Version : What do some of the black powder pistol designations mean? Like "Half fluted cylinder

January 7, 2011, 10:34 PM
I have seen a few other odd designations. Is there a website or page with BP Pistol designations or something?

Fingers McGee
January 7, 2011, 11:31 PM
There is a glossary in the back of the Blue Book of Modern Blackpowder Arms. I'd say that most pricing guides have a glossary of some kind.

Fluted Cylinder - A cylinder with concave indentations or grooves between the chambers. The fluted and semi fluted (read half fluted, ed.) cylinder is still the basic design for revolver cylinders manufactured in the world today.

A modern Colt SAA has a half fluted cylinder.

January 8, 2011, 12:42 AM
Modern barrels are also fluted sometimes. I just Googled the word flute.
Among the listed definitions of fluting is:

fluting - A decoration consisting of parallel, normally vertical, flutes (grooves) incised into the surface; The act of making such grooves


Heavy barrels are fluted to make them lighter without sacrificing [much] strength or rigidity, and the resulting additional exterior surface area is said to allow the barrel to dissipate heat faster.

Google is everyone's friend! :)

January 8, 2011, 01:20 AM
Here's a full fluted cylinder...

Image courtesy of cowanauctions.com