PDA

View Full Version : Looking for cheap 17hmr for my work truck

loganclj
January 3, 2011, 09:04 PM
I would like to get a cheap 17 to carry in my work truck for groundhogs. I have considered the savage 93 or h&r sportster. Anyone have an opinion of these or any other recomendations?

pabuckslayer08
January 3, 2011, 09:12 PM
I like the marlin bolt .17s. They start at just like 160 bucks or something. I have a Savage 93 as well and accuracy is nearly equal at 75 yards but the Marlin for 40 bucks more seemed built better. Never handled the h&r one but most of their guns are built well and are accurate. CZ makes some nice onces as well that start at around 325 or so but you do gain a fair amount of performance.

viking499
January 3, 2011, 09:32 PM
For cheap, but very accurate, I would go Savage or Marlin. I have a Marlin 917. Got it for under $200 new OTD. Would buy another in a heartbeat.:D

billnourse
January 4, 2011, 08:03 AM
I have heard nothing but good about the Savage with the accutrigger, and it is inexpensive enough.
Bill

aarondhgraham
January 4, 2011, 11:47 AM
So I gravitated towards the H&R rifles,,
I own two of them chambered in .22 LR and .357 Magnum.

Both of mine are solid performers,,,
I recommend them without reservation.

Now having said that,,,
I shoot a friend's Savage on occasion,,,
Oh my but what a fine shooting rifle it is in .223.

Both of your choices are basically fine rifles,,,
Choose the one that makes you smile when you handle it.

Aarond

precision_shooter
January 4, 2011, 01:20 PM
I've owned both the Marlin 917 and the Savage 93.

I still have the Savage...

The Marlin shot well, but i couldn't get past the QC issues with having the scope base mounting holes drilled off-center and the trigger leaves a lot to be desired.

Sold the Marlin and bought the Savage with accutrigger and haven't looked back. It is more accurate (or I'm more accurate with it) than the Marlin and the accutrigger is very very nice...

Steve_in_SEMich
January 4, 2011, 01:29 PM
I also have a Savage 93 w/heavy barrel & Accu-Trigger - sub-MOA at 100yards, and light enough to carry all day in the field.

Bamashooter
January 4, 2011, 01:42 PM
i had a rossi with a cheap scope on it and it was a very accurate rifle. the only drawback was single shot. i had around 150 dollars in the whole package.

brandondferrier
January 4, 2011, 06:32 PM
get a savage. im about to post my range reports on the savage 93r17. i love it.