PDA

View Full Version : Nightforce Recticle

Mattp27
January 2, 2011, 07:47 PM
Ok I have my gun ordered. A Remington 700 5R, already have the Harris bipod and ordered my base and rings (Badger Ordnance). I have also decide on the Nightforce NXS 5.5-20X50 now all I have to do is decide on a recticle. I thought it would be easy but Nightforce has several to pick from. I have a Zeiss on my AR-15 and it is a mildot recticle.

I like the mil-dot on the Nightforce but what about the NP-R2 or NP-R1?

Has anyone used any of these and what are your suggestions? I will be hunting with this setup as well as match shooting.

Thanks

Fat White Boy
January 2, 2011, 08:03 PM
Make sure the reticle is illuminated... You won't regret it.

Mattp27
January 2, 2011, 08:05 PM
They are all illuminated from what I read.

milo-2
January 2, 2011, 09:18 PM
Matt,
I have a NP-R1 in the same scope you want to purchase, great scope. It is a superb glass, how do you plan to use the scope? Are you going to dial your dope, or use the MOA lines, or the mildots, or both, on whichever scope you buy?

It will work for both your applications. How far do you plan to be shooting?
Did you buy a 20moa base?
Have you seen the Holland ART reticle? This is a very interesting reticle, view at www.hollandguns.com . Check this one out.

Mattp27
January 2, 2011, 09:31 PM
I will be dialing the scope and yes I have the Badger one peice base with t20 moa built in. I mainly want to be able to range my targets. That's why I'm leaning towards the mildot. Can you range with the Np-r1?

I am planing on shooting long range out to 1000 yards.

RLFD5415
January 3, 2011, 05:52 AM
I have several NXS's. I really like the 5.5-22X50 in NP-R2. You can most certainly range with both the NP-R1 and -R2. That is what they are designed for. I find the R1 a little busy for my tastes, so I opt for the R2. That said, I wish the windage division was 3 MOA instead of 5, but I'm nitpicking. If you are dialing, I would recommend the R2. If you like to holdover at various ranges, go with the R1.

Do yourself a favor and make absolute certain you get your turrets in MOA, (if you go with the R1/R2. milrads if you go mildot). If shooting at 1000 yds, you may appreciate the high speed turrets as well. I don't pay the extra $200 for the zero stops. I invest $.45 in nylon washers from Lowes and shim the damn things DIY style. Works very well.

Good luck with your purchase.

Mattp27
January 3, 2011, 09:13 AM
Where can I find some info on how to range with the NP-R1 or NP-R2?

milo-2
January 4, 2011, 07:46 AM
There will be instructions in your operators manual. You shouldn't have to range the those targets at the 1000yrd matches.