View Full Version : New Colt Navy kit!

December 31, 2010, 09:58 PM
Dear my gun toting compatriots,

I have gotten a Colt Navy .44 Revolver Kit from my father. It is a cap and ball (Obviously) and has a brass frame. I was wondering if anyone new were to get a steel or case hardened frame as a separate/spare part.



December 31, 2010, 11:31 PM
I just got a steel frame off gunbroker for my brass 1851. You have to look. They are few and far between. to go the other route, Taylor's and Co. have brand new steel frames, complete or frame only, but they are pricey. However, it spares you weeks of looking.

January 1, 2011, 10:22 AM
If you buy a steel frame you need to be sure it's from the same manufacture and I would buy only the same year of production. Otherwise you may need to do a lot of hand fitting. YMMV.

January 1, 2011, 10:34 AM
The frame IS the gun. Replace it and you have a different gun. If you want a steel frame to shoot I suggest you put your Dad's pistol on display and buy yourself a shooter.

Doc Hoy
January 1, 2011, 11:10 AM
If you get hooked (and you probably will.) this is going to happen at some point anyway.

Go buy yourself another pistol... or two.

January 1, 2011, 01:04 PM
Go buy yourself another pistol... or two.

Or three....or four.

January 1, 2011, 01:19 PM
Gotta agree with the guys saying not to change the frame. There will come a day that you will be glad that you kept it "just the way Dad gave it to me."

joe sixgun
January 2, 2011, 06:29 PM
Just shoot the Brass frame. Don't let the anti-brass crowd scare you. Just be mindful of the load you use. By using lighter loads you not only prolong the life of your gun, but as a bonus, your powder lasts longer too.;)

March 8, 2011, 09:59 PM
As it turns out the thing IS a steel frame haha. It shoots great to! Loaded with 25g .451 balls I got great groups at 25 Yards. Thanks!


March 8, 2011, 10:33 PM
How could you possibly mistake a steel frame for a brass frame? :confused:

March 8, 2011, 11:26 PM
Maybe he was remembering about the brass grip frame and trigger guard.