PDA

View Full Version : 260 loads

dsnyder
December 31, 2010, 01:36 PM
About a year ago I bought a Remington Model Seven in 260 Remington, 20" barrel. I shot several boxes of 120 grain bullets through it from federal and remington and could not get a group better than about 2" in size.

I emailed Remeington with the serial number and they told me that the rate of twist in that barrel would not stabilize 120 grainers well. (I can't remember if they said it has a 1:9 or a 1:10 rate of twist) They suggested that I try 140 grain bullets. I did and "waa laa" I got nice 1 to1-1/4" groups.

Anyway, I'm ready to start loading some empty shells and have read good things about Hornady's 129 grain sst bullets. I wonder if anyone can tell me if the 129 gr bullet will be long enough to shoot well with the rate of twist in my barrel?

PawPaw
December 31, 2010, 03:41 PM
Some rifling twists are optimum for a particular bullet length, but will shoot other weights well. Some bullets are manufactured differently than others and have a different center of gravity. In particular, those bullets with a nylon or plastic tip tend to have their center of gravity farther toward the rear of the bullet.

Generally, the faster the twist, the longer the bullet that a particular barrel might shoot. The faster twist increases the RPM of a given bullet and a longer bullet is more likely to stabilize in a fast twist barrel than in a slow twist barrel.

Each barrel is a law unto itself. What one barrel likes, another might not. There are some loads that shoot well in a lot of barrels, but the handloader fine-tunes his load to his barrel.

So, on to your original question. I wonder if anyone can tell me if the 129 gr bullet will be long enough to shoot well with the rate of twist in my barrel? Probably. You won't know until you make a few loads and try them out.

My sister-in-law shoots a Remington 700 in .260 Remington. Her husband loads a 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip over Reloder 19 powder and that rifle will put three into a 1/2 inch group at 200 yards. It stacks bullets into the same hole.

Will yours shoot like that? You won't know until you try.

riddleofsteel
December 31, 2010, 10:58 PM
I had the same problems with the barrel on a 6.5x55 Remington Classic.

However we have a custom rifle in 6.5-284 that produces similar velocities to your .260. The 129 grain Hornady Interlock is our top choice in that rifle with excellent accuracy and fantastic terminal performance. If your rifle will shoot it buy up 10 or 15 boxes all with the same lot number and you will be set.

We have taken deer, hogs, coyotes, and several medium bears with the 129 grain Hornady with not one single failure.

billnourse
January 1, 2011, 08:46 AM
If you are switching from factory loads to reloads, the game changes. It is possible that you will find some loads that will work with the 129's if you are loading your own, even if you couldn't find anything that would work in factory loads.

Bill

LSnSC
January 1, 2011, 09:49 AM
I shoot 129 SST's over Reloader 19. Works great on deer and pigs out of my Browning with a 20" 1:10 barrel.

doceaux
January 7, 2011, 11:10 PM
Reloader 19 129 Hornady interlocks rem case, cci primer 43-44 gr. Mine likes 43.8.

GeauxTide
January 8, 2011, 07:26 PM
I've got a 6.5-06 (9") that shoots 120s perfectly. My Ruger Compact (8") shoots 120s great, too. Typically, the faster twist is for the 140-160gr bullets.

Specifically, I've gotten almost the same velocity with 129 Hornadys as with 120 Speer or Nosler. I consider the 129 as the perfect 6.5 hunting bullet.

riddleofsteel
January 8, 2011, 08:07 PM
I consider the 129 as the perfect 6.5 hunting bullet.

The Hornady 129 grain 6.5mm bullet has proved ideal for everything from grizzled old hogs, to black bears, to monster white tails. If your gun is able to shoot it accurately it will serve all your needs from a 6.5x55, 6.5-284, .260 or a 6.5-06.