PDA

View Full Version : Which AK?

jbcricket
December 31, 2010, 11:28 AM
i'm thinking of getting an AK-47 and was wondering what everyone's opinions were on which would be the best version. I have been considering ewbank polymer and also the saiga conversion. Anyone have experience with these?

SR420
December 31, 2010, 11:35 AM
I have no 1st hand experience with the ewbank polymer or the saiga conversion, but I have plenty of experience with Norinco and Poly Tech AKMs and MAC-90s.

The Chinese make one of the finest AKMs available, but they haven't been imported for many years. Fear not, they can be found on the secondary market at fair prices.

Good luck.

hank327
December 31, 2010, 12:47 PM
The best current AKs are the SGL versions of the Saiga imported by K-Var.
The SGL-21 in 7.62 x 39mm and the SGL-31 in 5.45 x 39mm are manufactured in the same factory that makes the military versions for the Russian army. The SGLs are the only new AKs currently available with both new factory receivers and new factory hammer forged chrome lined barrels.

I've had a SGL-21 for just over a year and it's been great. Here's a few links that you might find helpful:

SGL21: http://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php?cat=353

SGL31: http://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php?cat=354

A video of the SGL: http://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45#p/c/E6009D66302BA9D7/24/TPhkDMng-68

MosinM38
December 31, 2010, 01:06 PM
Arsenal has a good reputation.

However I've decided two things.
#1. As long as I personally inspect and examine lower grade AK's, I seem to do okay.

#2. If I do spend $800 on an AK. I think I'll go with one of the custom-making AK gunsmiths. Arizona Response, Red Jackets,etc. are only about $75-100 more than Arsenals, and I think they're worth it.

It's a thought anyways.

jbcricket
December 31, 2010, 03:00 PM
hank327,

Thanks for the websites, those SGL-21's look like they're right up my alley!
What do you guys think about the stamped vs milled reciever issue?

a7mmnut
December 31, 2010, 03:18 PM
For me, it's a "non-issue". The receiver is just a dust cover. The inner framework carries a few components. People will buy aluminum receiver guns all day, but snub off at sheet metal AK's. Ignorance has always intrigued me.

-7-

RockyMtnTactical
December 31, 2010, 06:01 PM
I like Arsenal.

tAKticool
December 31, 2010, 06:06 PM
OF Course Saiga is generally the best, the real Russian AK-47.

Arsenal makes them into the best there is, when they make a Jersey ready SGL-21 or even maybe 31 i'm buying one sure.

Right now, I got the Serbian Zastava PAP and it's Awesome. Better than Good Enough, pretty awesomne. I can't barely find magazines or especially the Wooden Furniture but hey, when I do, that wood is the best in the business.

essohbe
December 31, 2010, 06:07 PM
jbcricket,

Aresenal rifles are good and in allot of people's price range. I don't like the company so much for other reasons so I went the Saiga route myself. They are not hard to restore to their intended configuration at all as long as you have some experience using tools.

Aresenal uses the Saiga but does the work for you. It's really up to you but there is more than enough info on the net to help you along if you choose to convert yourself.

For the $$$ you can't beat the Saiga. Spend the $100 in parts and do the job yourself. With the money you save go buy a crate full of ammo (especially if your caliber is 5.45!).

Visit saiga12.com also for info on conversions.

zombieslayer
January 2, 2011, 09:08 AM
For around $600 you can get a nice base model Arsenal. I bought a nice Maadi for $500 last year and its been awesome. It really has the Red Dawn look to it.