PDA

View Full Version : Benelli R1?

Wyosmith
December 30, 2010, 11:51 PM
Does anyone here have any experience with one of the Benelli R1 rifles?

dawico
December 31, 2010, 01:32 AM
I have the R1 Comfortec in 30.06. I love it, and have a couple hundred rounds through mine without any problems whatsoever. My only minor complaint is accuracy. I was hoping to get it to a minute of angle gun, but no such luck. It shoots everything into 2" at 100 yards. Heavy bullets, light bullets, match or hunting rounds, hot barrel, cold bore, factory or handloads, it doesn't matter, 2" all day and night. It may just be my particular gun, and it isn't a major issue at normal hunting ranges, but it is what it is.

hydroholic
December 31, 2010, 11:25 AM
Bought one and it was OK but to me my BAR is much better. Sold it and would by another BAR in another caliber before I would buy another R1.

Wyosmith
December 31, 2010, 12:15 PM
I am going to buy an R1 in 270 WSM for my girlfriend. She’s quite small, so I was interested in the R1 because of its lower recoil. She weighs only 94 pounds and she wants to hunt elk. She killed 2 in the past with a 30-06 bolt action, but the rifle beats her up pretty badly.

We have a friend that has an R1 in 270 WSM new unfired in the box, for $800. I think I can’t really go wrong with it. Tina is a VERY good shot, so I want something that shoots well, but 2 MOA is fine for elk. They are big targets.

This rifle is not the Comfortec model. It’s got beautiful walnut. The comfortec is supposed to reduce recoil even more as I understand. But I can shorten the wood one to fit her and put on a good pad.
In the worst case, I could also install a muzzle break and really take a bunch of recoil out of it, but she and I both hate the breaks because of the louder blast. I have installed a lot of them over the years, and some are worse then others in noise, and some are better then others in effectiveness. In my experience, the better they work, the louder they are.

Anyway, the whole reason I posted this thread is to get feedback from anyone that has experience with the R1 rifles. If I got one that shot 4-5 MOA I would be very unsatisfied with it. 2 MOA or less is ok.

Tina is a superb shot with her AR-15 in 6.8 SPC and kills deer, antelope, coyotes and fox and in all the shooting I have seen her do, I have only seen her miss 2 times ever.
But I am not really comfortable with a 110 grain bullet for killing elk. I know it can be done, and I know men that have done it with 257 Roberts and 243s, but I have also had a LOT of bad times tracking elk that were hit with bullets that didn’t penetrate well in the last 35 years. So I like heavier and tougher bullets. The 150 and 160 grain Nosler Partition 270 bullets have never let me down on elk, and I have never seen one fail on an elk in over 30 years. So I think the 270 WSM might be just what Tina needs.
I am hoping Benelli has at least gotten close to the “dream rifle” that was thought to be impossible a few years back
High level of power,
Low recoil
Light weight,
Flat trajectory.
Reliable.

But it’s all for nothing if the rifle is not accurate.

So…….I am asking all those out there for feedback. I can do the gunsmithing if necessary, but I don’t want to buy a rifle that is filled with problems.

Goatwhiskers
December 31, 2010, 02:16 PM
Fooled with several. Quality of manufacture is a given, but you don't buy a semi-auto expecting target grade accuracy and you probably won't get it from the R1. The gun seems to be very sensitive to the load, and careful handloading is the only way I've seen to get noticeable improvement in group size. I did see one in 30/06 that went from 2" to 1 1/4" groups by switching from 180gr to 150gr Rem factory loads. Goatwhiskers the Elder

hydroholic
December 31, 2010, 04:35 PM
The craftmenship of the R1 is what you woul expect of Benneli but I would definately not say better than my Brownings. My R1 shot good but but groupings were not as tight as with the BAR's. As stated above most of the groupings that were shot from my R1 were around 2" with some sub 2" shots. Same rounds shot in my 30-06 BAR ( my R1 was a 30-06 as well) were around 1" to 1- 1/2". Both were with 165 gr. My BAR in .300 WM will shoot 1-1/2" groups with some being sub 1". I shoot 180 gr. Hornady SST reloads in it.

cracker31
January 1, 2011, 02:06 PM
If she has trouble w/ recoil from a 30-06, the 270 wsm is not going to be any better. I'm 6'4" and 300 lbs. and that round kicks me like a freakin mule (30-06 doesn't even make me flinch) . A 7mm-08 or 308 Win will do the trick and save your GF on the recoil. They might not hit as hard but inside of 400yds they'll do the trick.

Wyosmith
January 1, 2011, 08:20 PM
No, not in the R1.
I have only ever fired one of them, and that one was just a few shots. It was a 30-06. The recoil was SO MUCH lighter then any 30-06 I have ever felt. It was like a 243 in a bolt action.
So I think the recoil of the 270WSM will not be a problem. I just don't want an inaccurate rifle for her.