PDA

View Full Version : flip up lens cap

MDS
December 30, 2010, 02:29 PM
Anyone suggest a flip up type lens cap that's not 40 bucks? Is there anything I should run from?

shanzlik
December 30, 2010, 02:40 PM
Butler Creeks are pretty common and work well.

wogpotter
December 30, 2010, 03:23 PM
Butler Creek. I have them on everything & have had for years.
Get the solid, not the see through type.

dgludwig
December 30, 2010, 03:39 PM
Get the solid, not the see through type.

Assuming everything's the same (maybe they're not?) except that one style has opaque lenses and you can see through the other, what's the downside to the clear type? If the clear ones gets scratched and smudged, you can always flip them up like you have to with the opaque ones. On the other hand, if you're presented with a fleeting shot you can at least see the target through the clear ones, even if a perfect view is compromised by a little grime. Good luck seeing anything through the "solid" ones.

riggins_83
December 30, 2010, 03:54 PM
+1 for Butler Creek. Don't go by sizing charts.. they're never right. Take your rifle to the store and they'll find the right size for you. If you were in my state I'd tell you to come into my store :D

wogpotter
December 30, 2010, 05:25 PM
what's the downside to the clear type?
The clear inserts are a different part from the rim, & can pop out leaving you with nothing, but you think your scope is protected.

Take your scope & put a nice big, fat greasy fingerprint slap in the middle of the front lens. Now look through it & tell me if that is acceptable optical quality for you. Really test what is acceptable, take a shed antler & hang or wedge it in some branches, better still have a buddy do it. Now see if you can find it with the degraded optical quality.:D

In all honesty the big problem is the "POP!" if you flip the covers up, I usually remind folks (particularly hunters) to ease them open, not flip them.

pabuckslayer08
December 30, 2010, 06:01 PM
Black solid Butler Creeks for sure from me. I have many of them and love them. The clear ones are junk imo. They tend to smear and you cant see anything anyway plus they arnt made as well. Also as others said just take the gun to the store and get it sized. If they are a tad to big a loop of electrical tape works great and you cant even see it.

dgludwig
December 30, 2010, 07:22 PM
Quote:
what's the downside to the clear type?
[QUOTE]
The clear inserts are a different part from the rim, & can pop out leaving you with nothing, but you think your scope is protected.

Good point-which is why I included the caveat "assuming everything's the same..." That said, on the few scopes I own that wear the clear type, I've never had a lens come off. Just so I'm clear on this (pun intended :)), I have nothing against opaque lenses per se-most of my scopes have them.

Take your scope & put a nice big, fat greasy fingerprint slap in the middle of the front lens. Now look through it & tell me if that is acceptable optical quality for you. Really test what is acceptable, take a shed antler & hang or wedge it in some branches, better still have a buddy do it. Now see if you can find it with the degraded optical quality.

Take your scope out and try to shoot through a solid lens and see if you can find the hidden antler-there's no optical quality to degrade. :D My only point is that with a degraded clear lens and having to take a shot with no time to spare, you will at least have a chance at seeing the game. If you have the time to "scope out" branches to discern an antler and your clear lens isn't so clear anymore, well, pop 'em open just like you have to do anyway with the solids. I see no downside to them-unless they've popped out on their own, leaving you with unprotected glass, as you suggest can happen. :mad:

In all honesty the big problem is the "POP!" if you flip the covers up, I usually remind folks (particularly hunters) to ease them open, not flip them.

I agree completely with this warning and solution. The only thing in my experience that will spook a whitetail close to you faster than lens covers popping open is the loud metallic "click" some safeties can make if they're pushed off injudiciously.

Shoes
December 30, 2010, 08:15 PM
+1 for Butler Creek

twins
December 30, 2010, 11:07 PM
You get what you pay for with the Butler Creek. Nothing fancy, flimsy plastic, but it does the job.

For Leupold scopes, I don't mind paying $40 for each cover since they're made of Aluminum and is very sturdy. Plus it "completes" the Leupold look.

MDS
December 31, 2010, 01:18 AM
Great discussion. Thanks all.

dgludwig
December 31, 2010, 03:13 AM
You're right, twins, those Leupold units are the "Cadillac" of lens covers. Too bad they cost so darn much and are proprietary to Leupold.