PDA

View Full Version : ar accuracy question

jimaw2
December 30, 2010, 01:32 AM
I recently put together a budget ar with a dpms 16" bull barrel. I wanted to try the ar as I have had poor luck with finding an accurate bolt gun lately. Most ar tests show them to be pretty consistent shooter. I was pleased mine easily shot under 1moa right from the start. Is there a reason the ar's seem to be more consistent shooters than bolt guns? I was wondering if the fact their bolts lock into the barrels rather than the receiver is a factor?

precision_shooter
December 30, 2010, 08:54 AM
Owning both Bolt guns and AR's, I don't agree that the AR's are more consistent shooters than bolt guns. More moving parts in an AR lends itself to less consistancy than a bolt gun.

Any of my bolt guns will consistantly shoot better groups than my AR's ever thought about shooting. It's all about finding the right load for the gun and making sure you didn't get a lemon that won't shoot regardless of what you do...

demigod
December 30, 2010, 09:09 AM
The bolt design does indeed play a part in the accuracy of the AR.

Art Eatman
December 30, 2010, 01:07 PM
My experience with several ARs is that performance varies, just as with conventional bolt actions. I had a Bushmaster Match Target which would easily stay within one-half MOA for five-shot groups. Others, one to two MOA. For now, the late-model Colt AR can do one-MOA groups with irons.

I've had the same sort of results with numerious bolt actions. Probably the best, through the decades, was a Ruger heavy-barrel .220 Swift. 3/8 MOA was very common; ten-shot groups at 1/2 MOA were quite doable.

All my bolt action rifles have been, basically, hunting guns. None were dedicated target rifles.

kraigwy
December 30, 2010, 02:09 PM
You think maybe it might be the gun, or type of gun. Some people can shoot some guns better then that can others, do to fit, recoil, etc.

My White Oak Service Rifle AR is pretty dern accurate but I can't shoot it as well as I can my Heavy Match M1A. It's me not the gun, I figure if I shoot my WOA AR as long as I've shot my M1A I could probley do as well with it.

Scorch
December 30, 2010, 02:42 PM
The accuracy of AR hinges on the design and the quality of the barrel. The bolt locks in very securely, all the bolt components are made on machinery that holds very tight tolerances, and if you use a good barrel you top off the whole deal by having secure, square lockup perpendicular to the bore coupled with a tight tolerances bore. The weak links in some ARs are the barrel and the trigger, but the design itself falls into the "inherently accurate design" category of round receiver rifles.

Motorcopm4
December 30, 2010, 03:44 PM
On an AR the barrel is your main component my AR10 is a .50 MOA gun