PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine in .308

TexasTB
December 28, 2010, 08:36 PM
Spent the last two days looking for a new or used Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine in .308 caliber in the Dallas, Texas area, as well as on line through Gun Broker, Bud's Gun Shop, etc.. Seems like everyone is out of these. Has this model been discontinued or is it just selling that much? :confused:

Tim

JohnO
December 28, 2010, 10:15 PM
Not that I'm aware of. End of year is not a good time to look for popular selling firearms. Manufacturers shut down and don't produce. Distributors sell out their inventory to retail store and they sell out for the holidays! Then, comes the new year and productions starts all over again....

Best bet may be to contact Savage and see when they plan on tooling up to produce this model. That should give you some time line as to when they will hit the market. In the interim, keep looking, cause you never know when one may pop up.

Jimro
December 29, 2010, 02:10 AM
Keep looking, they'll start popping up soon as people sell guns to pay bills and new stock rolls in.

Jimro

PawPaw
December 29, 2010, 07:24 AM
It's still a cataloged rifle, so I'm fairly certain that Savage is still making them. I'm sure that the current shortage is simply due to the holidays.

It's a fine rifle, and Savage has sold a bunch of them. However, Savage changes their catalog codes from time to time, and rifles show up in different parts of the catalog. When I bought my first heavy-barrel Savage, it was called the FV (for varmint, I guess) and it was in 7mm Rem Magnum, although who would want to shoot varmints with a 7mag is anybody's guess. I used mine for a beanfield rifle and it lives at my son's house now.

The second one I bought was called the FP (it was in the LE catalog, and I guess that the P stood for Police). It looks just exactly like what they're calling the Precision Carbine. Same barrel, same caliber, absolutely marvelous rifle, although a tad heavy for carrying in the woods all day long. That particular bullet-launcher now lives with another son and he uses it for target work. He's outfitted it with a bipod and a huge scope and he throws bullets long-distance. Wonderfully accurate, marvelous rifle.

What they might call this rifle next year is up for grabs, but I'm fairly certain they'll continue to make it. Keep looking after the first of the year.

tobnpr
December 29, 2010, 10:59 PM
They'll turn up.
I wanted a 10FP in .308 for my son for Xmas, no luck. But I did get the very last 11 series from Bud's :)

We're heading to the range manyana to sight in our new toys.

riggins_83
December 29, 2010, 11:41 PM
A little hard to get... but still available. We just received a few more at the store I'm working at.

miykael
December 30, 2010, 12:45 AM
I think it might just be the best all around rifle for target and hunting. Savage is on a roll with the Accutrigger and now Accustock. I only wish they would grab more market share and keep bringing more innovation. Now only if they can leapfrog Kriss ( http://www.kriss-tdi.com/ ) and take firearms to the next level.

riggins_83
December 30, 2010, 03:28 AM
http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss355/riggins_83/savage10308.jpg?t=1293697683