PDA

View Full Version : Help me figure out what all I have here guys

Clay
December 28, 2010, 07:01 PM
My father in law passed away and is leaving me all his guns as he only has daughter with no interest. These are fairly old obviously, some maybe much more so than others. But, overall, I'm just wondering about rarity and worth. They'll be staying in the family for sure. A few of these appear to not have any serial #'s.

J Stevens Single Barrel 5769Z
Winchester 1890 22 Shot 637544A
Springfield 87 22 long rifle Patent 2094577
Remington Double Barrel no number
Winchester 12 gauge 351487
Winchester 12 gauge 500231
Holdis & Sons Double Barrel no number

Appreciate any help you can give!

Buzzcook
December 28, 2010, 10:57 PM
You should check for prices on gunbroker.com that'll give you ball park value.
Check completed auctions, because asking prices are sometimes too high and through the average off.

Just off the top of my head though.

J Stevens Single Barrel 5769Z
Not very valuable probably under $200

Winchester 1890 22 Shot 637544A
Potentially valuable can be over $500+

Springfield 87 22 long rifle Patent 2094577
Not very valuable probably under $200

Remington Double Barrel no number
Looks like a Model 1889 I haven't a clue on value,

Winchester 12 gauge 351487
Winchester 12 gauge 500231
The shorter barrel looks like an 1897 might be valuable.
The other looks like a 1912 probably not very valuable.

Holdis & Sons Double Barrel no number
If it's the muzzle loader and the name is Hollis instead of Holdis, it might be very valuable.

The main thing for all those guns is condition.

warbirdlover
December 28, 2010, 11:38 PM
The two model 12 pump shotguns are worth some bucks.

Clay
December 29, 2010, 08:02 AM
Thanks guys. I'm going to do some searching on gunbroker and maybe take then by my local shop to see if anyone has some good info on them.

jaguarxk120
December 29, 2010, 08:33 AM
Should you undertake a restoration of the Model 12's- don't Don't do it your self or take the guns to the local gunsmith. Research the net and find someonewho specializes in working on this type of gun. It may cost more for the work but in the long run you will be farther ahead by having a well known shop do the work. Look up Turnbull guns.

Hawg
December 29, 2010, 09:06 AM
The muzzle loader is worth about 300. I turned down a Remington double like that at a gun show a few weeks ago for 250.00. The 1890 is worth around 800.

Art Eatman
December 29, 2010, 09:37 AM
Is the Simmons company still doing restoration work on Model 12s? I've seen some which looked like NIB after they finished.

That Model 90 .22 would be a keeper. I had one, back years ago; a truly good shooter.

mikecu
December 29, 2010, 09:43 AM
You might want to look them up in the Blue Book of gun values.

https://store.bluebookinc.com/home/default.aspx

I found a copy at my local library.

Winchester_73
December 29, 2010, 09:25 PM
The shorter barrel looks like an 1897 might be valuable.
The other looks like a 1912 probably not very valuable.

No, they are both model 12s. The model 97 has a hammer and more of an angular receiver. The winchester model 12 was originally called the model 1912 for the first few years, until 1916 or so, then it was simply known as the model 12.

Should you undertake a restoration of the Model 12's- don't Don't do it your self or take the guns to the local gunsmith. Research the net and find someonewho specializes in working on this type of gun. It may cost more for the work but in the long run you will be farther ahead by having a well known shop do the work. Look up Turnbull guns.

Ok nothing against the model 12, I own 2, but this scenario is not cost effective. Judging by the pic the model 12 thats 3rd from the top was cut and a butt pad was added which hurts collectibilty badly. The one above it appears to have a gray receiver which means most of the finish has worn away. This is common in pre war model 12s since they were nickel steel and the finish did not adhere well to them or many other winchesters. This indicates that neither are very valuable. The second from the top looks to have a cover over the end of the barrel, but if the barrel is actually shorter, but not a standard length, this too ruins the value.

The most common gauge in these is a 12 gauge and the most common choke is modified. However, these guns are both pre WWII as indicated by SN and the pistol grip (narrow and slow curve) so at that time perhaps full choke was more common. Improved cylinder is the rare choke and the rare gauge is 28 gauge. Since they are both 12 gauge and appear to be without a solid rib, and they're not deluxe models, they're worth approx $300 to $400 each. A doug turnbull restoration would be at least that much and would add little to the value and in some people's opinion, further lower the values. These examples are too common to bother restoring but they are great pieces of American firearms history.

The model 12 is one of the most famous Winchesters and one of the most common. Total production was over 2 million and they hit 1.9 million by 1963.
Your 2 model 12s, judging by SN are from the 20s with the earlier gun being perhaps from the late teens.

The model 1890, in 22 short is not worth, IMO, what some are saying. Could it be worth $500? Perhaps, but thats even being optimistic. People want 22 LR 1890s and although it does have an octagon barrel (I think, hard to tell from pic), it also has something funny on the end of the barrel, at the muzzle. I think realistically, this is more of a $400 gun.

The other ones are anyones best guess. I would think out of the rest the remington double is most valuable. As for the other 3, who knows. A nice group of old guns though. Enjoy them responsibly.

Clay
December 30, 2010, 05:38 AM
Thanks guys. I have no intentions of selling anything whether they be worth a fortune or only their weight in scrap metal. :) I just wanted to know a little more about them.

The model 12s... would you all still consider them a usable shotgun? I have no 12ga and wouldn't mind doing some shooting with them.

Winchester_73
December 30, 2010, 07:30 AM
The model 12s... would you all still consider them a usable shotgun? I have no 12ga and wouldn't mind doing some shooting with them.

Absolutely. Many are still around and serviceable due to their excellent design coupled with superior construction and materials. They last many generations on average. They both should be be for 2 3/4 in shells. I would use and enjoy them. The thing thats neat about model 12s, among other things, is that they are completely steel (no pot metal, plastic or anything else) and the trigger guard is machined out of the receiver, in other words, its one piece. Today a model 12 would be pretty expensive due to materials and construction. They were somewhat over engineered in many people's opinion because a shotgun can be as durable without being almost completely steel.

Here is more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_12

Clay
December 30, 2010, 11:13 AM
Wow, thanks for the info. :)