PDA

View Full Version : ID'ing a cartridge

pax
December 28, 2010, 06:41 PM
Hi guys,

One of my sons picked up a piece of brass at the range and wanted to know what gun it fits.

It's a large, necked-down cartridge, measuring 3 7/8 inches from rim to base and 3/4 inch in diameter.

The headstamp has three marks, equally spaced around the rim: "3-67" and two foreignese letters that might be cyrillic. One of the letters is a funny-looking u with an extra tag at the upper right. The other looks like a deeply slanted, backwards 7 with an extra leg holding it up.

Photos later if they're needed.

Thanks,

pax

Jimro
December 28, 2010, 07:43 PM
The dimensions you quote are only slightly under that of the 50 BMG. That would be my guess from the info available.

Jimro

Mike Irwin
December 28, 2010, 10:19 PM
Photos definitely needed.

pax
December 28, 2010, 10:53 PM
Photos, as requested.

pax

cornbush
December 28, 2010, 10:57 PM
Whats the inside neck measure? My guesses are 50BMG, 12.7 Soviet or 14.5mm Soviet.

Warbow
December 29, 2010, 12:02 AM
Looks like Hebrew to me. Probably Israeli manufacture.

Warbow
December 29, 2010, 12:40 AM
Did some more searching. Definitely Israeli. The Hebrew letters stand for "Military Industries" as far as I can tell. On municion.org there are pictures of the same headstamp, just different dates than 3-67, under the .50 BMG section.

Still no idea what the cartridge itself is as I'm sure they used that headstamp on other cartridges also.

Is the 3/4" measurement the inside neck diameter or the body?

Edited to add: after thinking a bit I'm putting my money on .50 BMG. If someone had something more exotic here in the states they wouldn't be leaving brass on the range, it'd be worth too much.

pax
December 29, 2010, 01:03 AM
Edited to add: after thinking a bit I'm putting my money on .50 BMG. If someone had something more exotic here in the states they wouldn't be leaving brass at the range as they'd need to reload it themselves.

You're probably right about .50 BMG -- that was my first thought too. If I had calipers I'd slap them on it & get more precise measurements, but as it is I'm using (sigh) a sewing tape measure. Accurate but not precise.

To explain why this one got left at the range, there's a split in the case (which also looks like it was reloaded a bunch before that happened). Given the size of the cartridge, I wouldn't want to be standing nearby when it finished splitting. Guess the guy who left it lying on the ground felt the same way.

pax

pichon
December 29, 2010, 01:16 AM
I concur with the .50 BMG assessment.

The Hebrew I believe is for IMI, or Israel Military Industries, makers of the Desert Eagle and likely the original manufacturer of this ammunition. It probably changed hands during its lifetime and ended up with a reloader in your area.

Jimro
December 29, 2010, 01:36 AM
Definitely 50 BMG. You can see the same headstamp (with a different date code) here http://www.hevanet.com/temple/brass.html

The headstamp is vintage IMI. http://www.afte.org/ExamResources/gallery2/v/Headstamp-Gallery/Letters_001/K/

Jimro

pax
December 29, 2010, 01:45 AM
Yup, that's it.

Thanks, everyone. And thanks for the links, Jimro. Good ones!

pax