PDA

View Full Version : Whats your favourite levergun in 44mag?

odsixer
December 27, 2010, 08:16 PM
I need a buddy for my 629 smith & wesson, would prefer a shorter barrel. Any suggestions? Thanks.

pythagorean
December 27, 2010, 08:22 PM
I like Marlin 1894 and Winchester or Browning 1892:
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr145/whitehouse_2008/Centerfire%20Rifle/389.jpg
I had a few problems with Marlin 1894s with ejection and feed but others love them.
My thoughts are based on what amount of money you want to spend. Rossi and others have made outstanding rifles.
I never had a problem with Rossi or Browning or Winchester.
I have had lots of problems with my Marlins in 1894.
The Marlins use stamped extractor and ejectors.
Their own levers to date whether guide gun or other relies upon a stamped extractor.
This was not Marlin in the old days.

Alden
December 27, 2010, 08:25 PM
I have yet to hear one bad thing about a Rossi.

Hanzerik
December 27, 2010, 08:32 PM
I like my Rossi/Pumas in .44 Mag

Top is a 20" Short Rifle, bottom is a 16" Carbine.
http://home.bresnan.net/~hanzerik/pics/Puma/Right%20Side%202.JPG

bigghoss
December 27, 2010, 08:34 PM
I've heard good things about the rossi lever actions and so I was going to get a 16" one to go with my 629. and the ranch hand "pistol" from rossi just looks like fun

odsixer
December 27, 2010, 08:40 PM
I like the look of that 20" hanzerik is that an aftermarket tang sight?

Alden
December 27, 2010, 08:45 PM
I'm gettin' all gooey over that 16" Rossi.

It's a perfect pig gun for where I hunt. The swamp.

Shane Tuttle
December 27, 2010, 08:56 PM
1894 Marlin with Walnut Stock, Microgrooved, PRE crossbolt safety...

odsixer
December 27, 2010, 08:57 PM
Uberti sure has some nice stuff:
http://www.uberti.com/firearms/1873_rifle_and_carbine.php

pricey though and the ones i like don't come in 44 mag

Hawg
December 27, 2010, 09:00 PM
Rossi 92 all the way. The 94 Winchester was designed for rifle cartridges and doesn't handle pistol length cartridges well. Marlin for the most part has micro groove barrels which don't handle lead bullets well.

pythagorean
December 27, 2010, 09:00 PM
1894 Marlin with Walnut Stock, Microgrooved, PRE crossbolt safety...
I am not an advocate of stamped steel extracting. If your rifle is before the stamped steel extractor then I award you the medal.
All Marlins today have stamped steel extraction.
You need to positively extract a case before introducing another.
John

youngunz4life
December 27, 2010, 09:03 PM
I only have one rifle, and I love my henry bigboy .44 lever with walnut stock. I was recently schooled by some rifle buffs, and it was good to learn of probably better choices. I still do love my smooth henry though, and I don't mind the added weight. I figured I'd get a little extra workout when I go huntin w/my buddies:). Some day I would like another rifle also. have a good&safe new yrs

huntinaz
December 27, 2010, 09:03 PM
So what's the deal with the stamped extractor on Marlin 1894's? I haven't had any problems with mine so far... I like it.

Shane Tuttle
December 27, 2010, 09:39 PM
Nothing, huntinaz. I haven't had any issues with mine extracting...stamped or not. The gun operates just as it should. OP asked us what's our favorite, not criteria that our favorite has to have justified qualities....:rolleyes:

GeauxTide
December 27, 2010, 09:46 PM
Marlin 1894 with Skinner Sights.

huntinaz
December 27, 2010, 09:49 PM
Marlin 1894 with Skinner Sights.
My Skinner peep is coming in the mail this week. I'm so excited:cool:

Yeah I admit I've only put a couple hundred rounds thru my 1894 so far, but I haven't had any extractor prolems. It's a sweet rifle.

pythagorean
December 27, 2010, 09:49 PM

So what's the deal with the stamped extractor on Marlin 1894's? I haven't had any problems with mine so far... I like it.
You admit it is beneath standard and ask for a volley.
I have no volley for folks like you.
I will stick to Win or Browning in 1892.

pythagorean
December 27, 2010, 09:54 PM
Or. Shall I introduce my problem with Marlin 1894 starting in 1976? (not to include the .44 Magnum in 1894 but also the Golden 39A?)
Never buy the 39A in Marlin.
Push me to reveal records from Reno about the favored 39A and then perhaps another record hidden from you will be revealed.

You Marlin lovers.
They are not made they were back then.

Hanzerik
December 27, 2010, 10:13 PM
I like the look of that 20" hanzerik
Thanks, yes it is a Marble Arms tang sight.
http://home.bresnan.net/~hanzerik/pics/Puma/Tang%20Sight.JPG

I changed out the sights on both guns. Gold bead fronts on both. A folding rear on the 20" along with the tang sight. The 16" has a Marble Arms bullseye for the rear.

pythagorean
December 27, 2010, 10:18 PM
Still waiting to see a Marlin made after 1980 had a real steel extractor mechanism.
Whether .22 or guide gun.

pythagorean
December 27, 2010, 10:23 PM
Here is a Winchester made by Miroku. A positive Steel extraction. Albeit in .44 Magnum.
Marlins are stamped sheet metal things that I do not like.
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr145/whitehouse_2008/Centerfire%20Rifle/390.jpg
I post photos because I have owned and I care to post what matters in the real world.
All Marlins today are stamped extractors that Marlin gave up. Shame on them. Shame on all who think they are still so fine.

huntinaz
December 27, 2010, 10:26 PM
You admit it is beneath standard and ask for a volley.
I have no volley for folks like you.
I will stick to Win or Browning in 1892.

Sir, what are you talking about? Where did I admit it was "beneath standard?" I just asked what the significance of a stamped extractor is because I don't know. How about you educate me, but please use proper sentence structure and grammar so that maybe I can understand:rolleyes:

Hanzerik
December 27, 2010, 10:27 PM
Just a side note on what a poster said earlier in the thread about the Marlin micro groove barrels not shooting cast bullets well. There are custom molds you can get that cast bullets in the .432 size range which run really well in oversized Marlin bores. They were specifically made for marlins. I have one on the way to use in all of my .44s. I tried some out that a fellow down in AZ sent me and they shot really well out of the 20". From what I have read they work very good in most .44 caliber guns. Look them up: Ranch Dog Outdoors.

Bamashooter
December 27, 2010, 11:49 PM
I have 2 marlin's and 1 winchester and I prefer the marlin. I guess according to some that makes me ignorant or something. Oh well.:)

jmr40
December 28, 2010, 12:04 AM
Marlin

bamaranger
December 28, 2010, 12:19 AM
The cowboy carbines are great matches for the SA revolver, but your S&W needs a more modern companion.

How 'bout a ruger 96, if you can find one? Not only is it a suitable batch to a DA revolver, but Ruger got it right w/ when they went to 1-20" twist in their .44 carbines, allowing the full range of heavy .44 slugs.

The 1-38" levers often do not do so well w/ 250 and up bullets.

CodeBasher
December 28, 2010, 12:32 AM
A vote for the Rossi 92. It's such a fun reliable and handy gun.

HiBC
December 28, 2010, 02:46 AM
I have had fun with both the Marlin and the one I own,a Browning 92.A cowboy shooter I know works his Puma pretty hard,and he likes it.
A good thing to know about all of them,they are sensitive to cartridge length.
one of the popular brand 240 or 245 Kieth type SWC molds,I forget which,is just a little too long in the ogive ahead of the crimp groove.If it is your special day,about the same time the bullet snags the chamber mouth,and won't go in,the second round will get past the cartridge stops.
There are 240 ish Kieths with correct length ogives.The 300 gr Lasercasts truncated cone shoot good in mine,as do 215 Keiths.
FWIW,after a while,I got a Douglas blank and cut a tapered octagon rifle length bbl,a crescent butt,some old,hard english walnut,made a mag tube,and its not a carbine any more.It fits me.

COSteve
December 28, 2010, 11:44 AM
While my Rossis are both 357mag, they're both a ton of fun to shoot and much more accurate than I'd thought they'd be. My 24" oct bbl rifle, matched up with a Marbles 1/16" brass bead front and Marbles tang rear sights, is a solid 300yd steel shooter with my 158grn JSP handloads. My 20" rd bbl carbine is fast and light. Marbles 3/32" brass bead front and Marbles semi-buckhorn rear sight are great. It's just perfect for out to 150yds with my same 158grn JSP handloads.

While 200yds is way too far to hunt humanely with a 357mag, both are very accurate shooting at steel plates. An 8" steel plate at 175yds is relatively easy to hit from the bench with either one. If you get a Rossi (either LSI or Braztech imported), be sure an check out Steve's Gunz and pick up one of his Rossi slick up kits. For about $58 you get his DVD, custom ejector spring and steel mag follower so that you can simply do an action and trigger job on your rifle. I'd also pick up one of his plugs to switch out that stupid lawyer req'd bolt safety.

HiBC
December 28, 2010, 12:15 PM
FWIW.For many years I never understood a Beech Combination sight.When the hooded bead was up,the sight was taller,and folded,with the blade up,the sight was shorter.Seemed backwards,I was thinking the hooded sight for longer range,yet,in my mind,it would shoot lower.
Then I read an article that explained it!!
The lower blade is for use with an open barrel sight.When the tang peep is raised,the Beech is flipped to the taller hooded sight.This slightly raises the whole line of sight,which takes the rear open sight out of the sight picture enough so it does not confuse the sight picture.
Now,the Beech makes perfect sense!!
Buffalo Arms sells them.

UpstateGlocker
December 28, 2010, 07:18 PM
I've got 2 Marlins 1894 in .44mag. Never had a problem. Great guns. Never have owned a Rossi or any of the others. Marlin has always worked for me.

Hawg
December 28, 2010, 07:31 PM
I have 2 marlin's and 1 winchester and I prefer the marlin. I guess according to some that makes me ignorant or something. Oh well

I've had Marlins and Winchesters. I like both but prefer the Winchester(top eject no less). No that doesn't make you ignorant.

Alden
December 28, 2010, 07:48 PM
I called my local dealer today. he said he might be able to get me a Rossi '92 with the short barrel.

I'm sitting by the phone, staring at it. ;)

Hanzerik
December 29, 2010, 11:20 AM
I called my local dealer today. he said he might be able to get me a Rossi '92 with the short barrel.

I'm sitting by the phone, staring at it.

You are coming down with a case of LARD...Lever Action Rifle Disease :D
They are addictive.

jmortimer
December 29, 2010, 12:52 PM
The .45 Colt Marlins do not have the "micro-groove" barrels so hard cast will shoot fine. As noted the 94 action was not designed for "pistol" cartridges but works. I am waiting to get a 20" M92 stainless in .45 Colt. If I were you, I'd get a M92 which is a stronger action in .44 mag and at least get the upgrade parts kit from Steve's Gunz and DYI or have him work it over then you will have something to be proud of.

Alden
December 29, 2010, 02:33 PM
I just ordered a Rossi model 92 from Walmart in .44 magnum. It should be in the end of next week. $404.

jmortimer
December 29, 2010, 02:41 PM
"I just ordered a Rossi model 92 from Walmart in .44 magnum. It should be in the end of next week. $404."
Check out Steve's Gunz FYI http://www.stevesgunz.com/index.htm
You should be very pleased with your gun.

Alden
December 29, 2010, 03:27 PM
Thanks jmortimer! Very cool! Lots of good stuff there.

gglass
December 29, 2010, 03:42 PM
Take your pick... These are my Rossi twins. They are both very accurate and quite fun.

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/7973/oldnewsmall.jpg

skinnygun
December 30, 2010, 02:32 AM
I have Marlins in .30-30 .44mag .45-70 all work fine but the Marlin .44mag won't chamber the cheap American brand ammo, but the Puma (Rossi) with a side mounted scope shoots any .44mag always.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/skinnygun/PUMA002-3.jpg

Alden
December 30, 2010, 07:43 AM
You had the receiver drilled and tapped for that side mount. Where did you even find a side mount that would fit?

Alden
December 30, 2010, 07:45 AM
Another question: someone told me (probably someone here) that the 240 gr .44 magnum is actually a harder hitting round than the 170 gr 30-30 under 100 yards, but that the 170 gr 30-30 out performs it past 100.

My question is, has anyone ever taken a deer or hog with a .44 magnum fired from a rifle past 100 yards with success?

odsixer
December 30, 2010, 10:38 AM
30-30 definitely hits harder, though only by a couple of hundred ft-lbs

ursavus.elemensis
December 30, 2010, 12:02 PM
All this talk about Marlin and Rossi, wow! But if you want a real classic American rifle for your .44 Magnum levergun, you need a Winchester model 94, and if you want a handy one of those, look for the Trapper models. Easily carried, naturally pointing, flawless operation, smooth action, a genuine original Winchester, not an Italian copy of something, not a modern Marlin which is not up to the legend of the past, etc. I have one in the Trapper configuration and it is a nice rifle. I can shoot .44 Mag or .44 Special out of it, and it is nice and easy to use, and each time I pull the trigger I know I am firing a real Winchester lever rifle.

Turns out I have been bit by the flintlock bug, and I am probably going to sell my .44 Special ammo stockpile (about 1,500 rounds) and my Winchester 94AE .44 Mag Trapper to pay for a flintlock rifle. Just got to figure out the pricing and then I will list them on GunBroker or one of the auction sites. Probably could get about 55 cents per round for the ammo and $700 for the rifle, and that would leave me plenty of money for my flintlock rifle and possibles to get started. But I still have many Winchester's in the safe to enjoy at the range in .30 WCF and .357 calibers.

jmortimer
December 30, 2010, 12:32 PM
I had two Winchester 94 Trappers in .45 Colt and yes they are reliable but mine had sloppy actions that felt too loose. Never had a problem but the actions were so loose. Compared to any of the guns being discussed I was not impressed except, again, they always went bang. Regardless the 94 action is not really a pistol caliber action and the M92 is a stronger action. Now a 30-30 Winchester 94 cannot be beat.

Hawg
December 30, 2010, 01:16 PM
the 94 action is not really a pistol caliber action and the M92 is a stronger action. Now a 30-30 Winchester 94 cannot be beat.

True the 94 is a long action designed for rifle cartridges and a lot of them don't feed pistol cartridges well. The 92 was designed for pistol cartridges. I don't understand why they didn't just lengthen the 92 for rifle cartridges since it is a stronger action than the 94.

stegar1
December 30, 2010, 02:56 PM
i like the 16" win 94 in .44mag.

RickE
December 30, 2010, 08:17 PM
I just passed down my father's (deceased) Marlin 336 to my son. Made in 1947, it is much nicer than the new ones. The finish, action, and walnut stock is heads above anything recent. Look for an old one that was taken care of. My dad used this one, then me (often in the rain), and now my son. It looks 95% new. I want it back, but know better.

Alden
December 30, 2010, 08:53 PM
My Marlin 336 was made in 1978. A friend sold it to me for $150. He practically gave it to me. I refinished the stock and cleaned some rust off and it's about 95% perfect, just a few small marks on the barrel where someone had it in a gun rack in the back window of a truck and the blue was rubbed down to the bare metal. Gives it "character".

Now I will have two of these lever guns. If I put them in the safe together, you recon they might multiply? :D

Shane Tuttle
December 30, 2010, 09:44 PM
All this talk about Marlin and Rossi, wow! But if you want a real classic American rifle for your .44 Magnum levergun, you need a Winchester model 94, and if you want a handy one of those, look for the Trapper models. Easily carried, naturally pointing, flawless operation, smooth action, a genuine original Winchester, not an Italian copy of something, not a modern Marlin which is not up to the legend of the past, etc.

I'm sure a Porsche is the finest. But I'm happy with my VWs. They seem to get me from point A to point B with utter reliability, plenty of speed, character, and fun. And fellow owners don't turn their noses up to those that choose to drive other vehicles...:rolleyes:

Alden
December 31, 2010, 08:14 AM
Shane, I'm that way too.

If it looks and acts like an old Marlin or Winchester, for half the price, that's plenty good enough for me. ;)

ursavus.elemensis
December 31, 2010, 09:06 AM
You guys are being a bit thin skinned about my comments. I said Marlins and Rossi's are fine if you like them, but I pointed out that you could have a real classic, a real Winchester, and since the model 94's are not exactly the Porsche of the firearms industry, you can get them for a relatively reasonable price.

Shane Tuttle
December 31, 2010, 10:53 AM
You guys are being a bit thin skinned about my comments. I said Marlins and Rossi's are fine if you like them, but I pointed out that you could have a real classic, a real Winchester, and since the model 94's are not exactly the Porsche of the firearms industry, you can get them for a relatively reasonable price.

Not thin skinned at all. Only responding to the statement equivalent to how I'd respond to others about Winchester 94s. And, yes, they are the Porsche of the firearms industry judging from what people command for them. A fine rifle they are. But my Marlin can do everything a Winchester can do for my applications and is still a nice rifle...

HiBC
December 31, 2010, 04:22 PM
Regarding the question of why the 92 Win was not just scaled up for rifle cartridges,there is a bit of chicken vs egg,which came first.Take a close look at the 1886 win.It is a big 92.
I think the 94 needed a different toggle setup to get the longer bolt throw in a still compact action.
Not to rain on anyones parade,but Win put the .44 in the 94 because Win did not make a 92,so to make any .44 levergiun,they made a compromise.The other mfgs making 92's have win beat,IMo,as,the 92,IMO,is a better rifle for that case length.

Old Time Hunter
December 31, 2010, 04:44 PM
My '94 Trapper chambered for .44 Mag has yeilded 13 Whitetail, one Black Bear, and a nice Bull Elk up in the Bitter Roots across the Clark Fork...nuff said.

ursavus.elemensis
December 31, 2010, 08:37 PM
Mr. Tuttle, I am glad you're happy with your Marlin, but saying it can do whatever a Winchester can do is like saying that a Mickie-D's 99 cent "cheese" burger can do what a Steakhouse filet mignon can do. You are creative, but I respectfully submit that you are dreaming, sir. At the end of the day, it's not a Winchester no matter what you do with it or how well you do it.

I just laugh when people try to say that the Winchester 94 in .44 Mag or .357 Mag is not up to some mythical suitability standards. They work just fine, thank you. As "Old Time Hunter" pointed out, they work just fine with pistol calibers.

No offense to McDonald's. They've got great fries there. And, no offense to Mr. Tuttle who really does know a heck of a lot more about firearms than I ever will. But trying to make a Marlin out to be an equal to a Winchester, well, I just can't go along with THAT.

HiBC
December 31, 2010, 09:55 PM
The 94 Win is a fine rifle.I'm glad you like yours.I do not have anything bad to say about it.No rain on your parade.
The issue came up when someone put down all other lever guns but a Winchester.To that notion,I take exception.It does not stand unchallenged.
I own the Miroku made Browning 92 in .44 Mag. I would have been very happy to buy a US made Win 92 at the time,but Win did not choose to make a 92.Its not ashamed to sit beside a Winchester,though I did take the gold off the trigger.I don't do gun bling.
I would like to get myself a nice lever 30-30.
I prefer the old school 1893 Marlin to Winchester's answer to it.

Sarge
December 31, 2010, 10:03 PM
I think the 92 clones (http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2009/10/rossis-little-big-gun-92-carbine-in.html#links) are the best rendition of the pistol-caliber lever action.

Shane Tuttle
December 31, 2010, 11:14 PM
Mr. Tuttle, I am glad you're happy with your Marlin, but saying it can do whatever a Winchester can do is like saying that a Mickie-D's 99 cent "cheese" burger can do what a Steakhouse filet mignon can do. You are creative, but I respectfully submit that you are dreaming, sir. At the end of the day, it's not a Winchester no matter what you do with it or how well you do it.
I just laugh when people try to say that the Winchester 94 in .44 Mag or .357 Mag is not up to some mythical suitability standards. They work just fine, thank you. As "Old Time Hunter" pointed out, they work just fine with pistol calibers.
No offense to McDonald's. They've got great fries there. And, no offense to Mr. Tuttle who really does know a heck of a lot more about firearms than I ever will. But trying to make a Marlin out to be an equal to a Winchester, well, I just can't go along with THAT.

Let's break this down a bit more since the Porsche/VW analagy may not be providing my point clearly:

Given each rifle is chambered the same; say, .44Mag:

1. Can either rifle take down game the other can't?
2. Does one rifle REALLY operate more reliably than the other? We're talking generally accepted reliability standards. If you think any modern decent selling pistols such as Glock or XD is really more reliable than the other, then I can't reason with you. If you think the said example pistols are more reliable than a Jennings, then you can see my point.
3. Is one really that more accurate than the other? We're talking lever action rifles, not a $4,000 bolt action target rifle capable of hitting the "X" at 1,500m here.

There is NOTHING the Winchester can do that the Marlin can't in these three very important points in my viewpoint. Will the Win command a higher price? I'm sure they do. Is the furniture and fit/finish superior? Possibly. Is the Winchester better made overall? I can't say I can argue that point. However, MY whole point is my Marlin with do whatever I need it to do. I don't need the galloping horse/cowboy on the side to perform duties I see fit. I don't care if I can get more money out of it. I'm not looking to sell my firearms. I don't care if the fit/finish is better. The current quality of the Marlin is perfectly acceptable and doesn't detract from placing a bullet where I need it to go.

Now, I've posted TWICE with a well thought out statement of how I drew my conclusions of my favorite lever action rifle as the OP wanted. However, Winchester fanboys often tout how great their rifle is and turn their nose down to Marlin when they can perform just as well and can't really refute that. All they can say is Marlin doesn't have the "history" and such. What say you that makes Marlin not meet the needs/wants of what I stated above?

And let's get another thing out on the table. Just because I'm Staff here and my name is Bold Blue doesn't mean I know more about firearms than you or anyone else here. It also doesn't mean that whatever I say means you can't challenge my statements. You have a problem with my comments? Then, by all means, speak up. Challenging others' statements is what we're about here. And I'm no better than the next person just because I believe in what I believe and disagree with what someone else thinks.

Sarge
December 31, 2010, 11:39 PM
Actually Shane, I had a (early 80s) 94 Marlin that seemed to hate about any 240 (typo corrected) grain 44 load I fed it; jammed up with some and wouldn't do better than 6-8 MOA with most of them. Now, I chalked that up to my unusual gift for getting a lousy example of a gun everybody else just loves... but it did sorta sour me on the model. In all fairness, I've had 336s that were excellent in all respects and a 336T in particular, which I NEVER should have sold.

They ain't bad rifles; I just like Winchesters better.

huntinaz
January 1, 2011, 03:20 AM
There is NOTHING the Winchester can do that the Marlin can't in these three very important points in my viewpoint. Will the Win command a higher price? I'm sure they do. Is the furniture and fit/finish superior? Possibly. Is the Winchester better made overall? I can't say I can argue that point. However, MY whole point is my Marlin with do whatever I need it to do. I don't need the galloping horse/cowboy on the side to perform duties I see fit. I don't care if I can get more money out of it. I'm not looking to sell my firearms. I don't care if the fit/finish is better. The current quality of the Marlin is perfectly acceptable and doesn't detract from placing a bullet where I need it to go.

Now, I've posted TWICE with a well thought out statement of how I drew my conclusions of my favorite lever action rifle as the OP wanted. However, Winchester fanboys often tout how great their rifle is and turn their nose down to Marlin when they can perform just as well and can't really refute that. All they can say is Marlin doesn't have the "history" and such. What say you that makes Marlin not meet the needs/wants of what I stated above?
Growing up my dad had a Win 94 30-30 and I killed my first deer with it. I always looked at Marlins like they were second rate...until I held one. Then I shot one. And I gotta say, as far as utility I think Marlin wins. You don't have to drill to mount a peep or scope, they are reliable, they are accurate...and they look great in their own way. The peep thing matters a lot to me, it's a superior sight and SO much easier on a Marlin. As far as cowboy look goes, yeah the Winchesters fit the bill better. That's the only difference I see. As far as price, both rifles fetch an arm and a leg in pistol calibers around here. In 30-30, Marlins can be found cheaper. To me, Marlins are generally more practical for my applications. But honestly, I think they are both sweet.

Shane Tuttle
January 1, 2011, 01:45 PM
They ain't bad rifles; I just like Winchesters better.

And I see no problem with your assessment. People have their preferences and experiences. If I were to have the same as you did, I'd be shy about Marlins as well. But I wouldn't take my experience and use it as a blanket statement for all Marlins and Winchesters as I've heard over and over throughout the years from others.

To me, Marlins are generally more practical for my applications. But honestly, I think they are both sweet.

Make no mistake. I think Winchesters such as the pre '64 model 94 and the new ones being made today are well made. That's why I used them as the Porsche standard and Marlin as a VW...;)

IrvJr
January 1, 2011, 02:14 PM
Winchester 94 Trapper with the 16" barrel.

ursavus.elemensis
January 1, 2011, 08:45 PM
If Marlin did not make a good product line, they would not have survived as long as they have. I'm sure they are fine firearms.

The irony here is that I am going to sell (i.e., get rid of) my Winchester model 94AE .44 Magnum Trapper. I can't place it into my "got to have it" category, and the ammo is too expensive and I am not going to reload, not now and probably not until I am retired (?30+ more years?). I love my model 94 .357's, in Trapper and 20 inch lengths, and my model 94 .30-30's, and particularly I love and cherish my model 94 flatbands, even though the real Winchester collector purists look down on the flatbands as a defective wartime substitute of the "real thing". But they look down on the model 94 anyway.

Shane, I agree with every point you made. I don't like the looks and feel of the Marlin's, so I would not get one even if they were a 500 year old North American tradition. I like Winchester's, genuinely like them, and I like the history of the company and their products, although I understand that they ceased being "Winchester" long ago, about 80 years ago when they were sold in bankruptcy. They are not Oliver Winchester's products anymore than my Lionel trains are JL Cowen's products, but I do like them. But I can't argue with the points Shane made. (Feels weird referring to people by their first names when I do not really know them personally, I'm kind of conservative I guess, but "Mr. Tuttle" seems awfully formal.)

And for goodness sake, I think the model 92's (Winchester and Browning) are beautiful rifles, and who didn't grow up watching original telecasts or at least re-runs of "The Rifleman", but can you model 92 guys please get off it on the whole "model 92 is a stronger action than the model 94 and is made for pistol calibers, blah blah, blah..." That is so contrary to fact. I am not knocking the model 92's, and I am a Winchester fan above all other firearms, but for goodness sake, read some real history. You Rossi 92 guys are NOT shooting a copy of a real model 92. Winchester put the model 92 out for the .44-40, not for the .357 Magnum or the .44 Magnum. Sorry to burst your bubble, but the model 94 handles those calibers just fine, just like the modern 92 clones.

Sarge
January 1, 2011, 09:05 PM
Ah, but the 92 does it in a trimmer package. And, BTW, it wasn't long before the 44-40 was a pistol cartridge ;)

wideglider03
January 1, 2011, 09:23 PM
marlin 336 in 44 magnum. mine is old enough it has a straight stock and saddle ring. maybe a little stronger action than the 94 win.

Shane Tuttle
January 2, 2011, 01:28 AM
(Feels weird referring to people by their first names when I do not really know them personally, I'm kind of conservative I guess, but "Mr. Tuttle" seems awfully formal.)

One of the reasons why I changed my handle was to provide an open door to call me by my first name if one wishes. I've been called worse...:eek:

hickstick_10
January 2, 2011, 02:17 AM
I was a Winchester man before to, until I bought my first marlin. For a pistol caliber lever gun I would go marlin every time just because I got sick of of shells going down my collar.

The marlin 1894 and the rossi/winchester 1892 are pretty close to the same size anyways. The winchester 1894 is not made for pistol rounds, and I see no reason to carry around the extra steel.

For the most oomph I would definitely go with the win 1894 trapper in 30-30, for a 44 mag, most definitely Marlin

I don't understand why they didn't just lengthen the 92 for rifle cartridges since it is a stronger action than the 94
Congratulations, you've created the Winchester 1886.

skinnygun
January 2, 2011, 03:29 AM
Alden
Go on the web and type ( lever gun side scope mount ) the mount came in 2 parts , bottom attached to reciver .Top held the scope.Don't remember which site I bought from.

I can co-witness with the iron sights and have the scope right on at 100yds .

Hawg
January 2, 2011, 08:38 AM
Congratulations, you've created the Winchester 1886.

COOL!:cool: only 125 years too late.:D

johnbt
January 2, 2011, 09:43 AM
"At the end of the day, it's not a Winchester"

What's your point? At the end of the week, a Winchester is not a classic Marlin. Oh, and don't hurt yourself falling off of that soapbox of yours. ;)

In 1963 my uncle killed a record Virginia black bear with a Marlin lever gun in .35 Rem. It was a classic gun then and is now.

I'm looking at a new Marlin 1894 DL in .44 Mag, but the gun shop was closed New Year's Eve when I finally got by there at 5:00. Maybe the rifle will still be there next Friday when I visit my folks at The Home (the store is 100 miles away from home; my folks are 130.)

odsixer
January 2, 2011, 01:37 PM
Post a pic when you go pick it up:)

Hawg
January 2, 2011, 03:54 PM
As "Old Time Hunter" pointed out, they work just fine with pistol calibers.

A lot of SASS shooters will disagree. Maybe for the seldom used they do ok but in SASS circles they're frowned upon. These guys shoot way more than most folks and the most used are Rossi 92's and Marlin 94's with the Porshe being the Uberti 73 but that wont shoot magnums.

Old Time Hunter
January 2, 2011, 09:12 PM
Yep, that '94 Winchester can't hang with the big dogs, that's for sure:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g48/OTH_2006/OHOS_SB.gif

The big difference here though is that I was shooting offhand at 100 yards, as witnessed at NRA sanctioned range. The rest were shooting 50 yards.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g48/OTH_2006/042907Trapper44Mag.jpg

Old Time Hunter
January 2, 2011, 09:16 PM
Here was the next year's and if I could find the finally tally, you would be able to see that all the Marlins finished behind me.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g48/OTH_2006/06202008RD44Offhand.jpg

I've got a 1894 Marlin in .44Mag and even though it is fine little rifle, it just doesn't seem to be as accurate, especially with my cast loads. It key-holes when I start shoot'n 300+ grain bullets out of the Marlin, the '94 Trapper handles them fine.