PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 10 Predator Brush Finish

Saltydog235
December 27, 2010, 12:55 PM
Looking for opinions on this rifle. I'm seriously considering a .243 for hunting our growing Yote population and some early season deer hunting here in SC. The only Savage rifle that I have is a 06 Model 111 package gun I'm trying to get rid of. Nothing wrong with it but I've got too many 06's and want something I can shoot all day if I want to. Nice looking rifle for a plastic gun as my late father called them. I don't want to break the bank but still want a tack driver if I can get it.

Other opinions and options are also welcome, I just started my search.

.300 Weatherby Mag
December 27, 2010, 04:40 PM
I've shot a model 10 Predator in .223... It was absolute tack driver, if I was in the market for a .243 I would buy the model 10 Predator...

m&p45acp10+1
December 27, 2010, 04:52 PM
Since you said you already have several '06 rifles, and are covered for deer. I would recomend the .223 instead of .243. You can shoot it a whole heck of a lot more at a way lower price. I have the Model 12 Long Range Varmint in .223 Rem. It shot under three quarters of an inch out of the box with cheap 55 grain FMJ ammo:D. With my handloads it will shoot 5 shot groups I can cover with a nickel. (That says a lot right there 'cuz I am not that awsome of a shot.)
Cold barrel first shot I can nail a 8 oz pop bottle at 100 yards easily. I had to suspend my load testing yesterday due to the fact that I was shivvering from the cold. Preliminary testing was showing impressive results with Hornady 68 grain Match BTHP. Of 5 loads tested all shot well under 3/4 of an inch at 100 yards using a bipod, and sand bag under the rear. If I had not been shivvering from the 25 degree windchill they would probably have been much better.

JohnO
December 27, 2010, 06:20 PM
Since you said Yotes and Deer I have to agree with your caliber choice. Don't know if 22 cal is even legal for deer in your area, but the .243 is a better round, IMO, for yotes and deer both.

As for your gun of choice, I just ordered the same gun/caliber in Max-1 last week. May be a while before the order is filled, but am anxiously awaiting for it to arrive. When it comes to out of box accuracy Savage is tough to beat.

PawPaw
December 27, 2010, 06:28 PM
I don't have the predator, but my Savage .243 is a tack-driver, right out of the box. It's a bone-stock Model 10, withe the tupperware stock and routinely turns in MOA groups with the handloads I've tailored for it.

I took a deer two weeks ago with it. About 150 yards. Not a bang-flop, but not far from it.

Savage rifle turn in remarkable accuracy for their price point. I don't think you'll be disappointed.