PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garrands, where to get a good one?

HAMMER1DOWN
December 27, 2010, 02:36 AM
Hey ya'll I am looking into getting an M1 Garrand as a new rifle for my gun cabinet, I am looking for company websites that I might be able to check specs or customize it as I see fit. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
HAMMER1DOWN

WeedWacker
December 27, 2010, 07:16 AM
Civilian Marksmanship Program. (CMP)

http://www.odcmp.com/

You can get them cheaper through the CMP if you take a course such as the Appleseed shoot and provide documentation of citizenship and that you took the course.

overland
December 27, 2010, 09:16 AM
Dittos on the CMP. You get a good choice of manufacturers and condition. Plus its been inspected and ships with a new case and manual. They are sold for less than you typically find at gun shows or online auctions. If you can, go there and buy one directly rather than via mail order. No wait and you pick it out.

grumpa72
December 27, 2010, 09:49 AM
If you meet the requirements to buy from the CMP, you KNOW what you get. They grade their rifles according to mechanical and cosmetic condition. There are no surprises - well, not quite true - often the rifles are BETTER than graded. For instance, I bought two of the Service Grade rifles this spring and both were far better and almost Correct Grade.

Buy from others and ... well, buyer beware. Do a Google search on some of those selling Garands and you will see that there are some vendors who a less than desirable reputation.

Go to www.thecmp.org, find out what it takes to meet their criteria and then join them. You won't be surprised.

Drummer101
December 27, 2010, 11:32 AM
CMP is great, just put a coat of oil on mine this morning :D

az_imuth
December 27, 2010, 11:39 AM
Like everyone else suggested...CMP (http://www.thecmp.org/)

HKGuns
December 27, 2010, 12:04 PM
The CMP is the ONLY place I would purchase a Garand.

4runnerman
December 27, 2010, 12:10 PM
Hi all,Just hetre so it will show up on my reply list at hom,e. You guys have talked me into buying one too..:D

Tim R
December 27, 2010, 02:43 PM
I would buy a Service grade from the CMP. These have barrels which will last the longest. I've seen some S/G's which look like they have seen little use come out of the CMP. I bought a Winchester S/G though and the only part that was Winchester is the Receiver. It came with a new stock. I put the stock on another S/G I have and put a Winchester stock I had laying around on the Winchester. I have no desire to get a bunch of Winchester parts to make it more Winchester, I just want a shooter.

I do have a Springer Danish return Field grade which is a few parts from being WWII correct, I need a op rod, bolt and barrel. It has the lock bar rear sight, correct front sight and an un cut op rod now. The op rod and bolt are a couple of dash numbers off. The barrel is a VAR. VAR barrels are good shooting barrels and when's it's gone I might put a barrel on the CMP is selling. I guess I should order one, unless I find a SA barrel in good shape from 1943.

I love shooting the John C. Garand matches when ever I can. For these I use a H&R correct grade for my self and loan out a Springer S/G, F/G and Winchester S/G to those who want to shoot but don't have a M-1 yet. Doing this a pain in the neck as I won't let anyone else clean one of my rifles but me. My pay back is people buying a CMP M-1 for them selves. Besides, I might hook someone in to shooting High Power.

SatCong
December 27, 2010, 07:43 PM
Hammer,

CMP for sure, if you want a slice of history with your Garand.
However, if you want a new Garand, google Fulton Armory, and get out your large money.
Let us know!

Mike