PDA

View Full Version : limb saver for a barrel??

k31
December 26, 2010, 06:10 PM
i saw a rubber limb-saver attachment that you put on your barrel to reduce vibration in you barrel but am not sure if i buy into the idea
i though that vibration is necessary for an accurate barrel which is why they are often free floated
has any one actually tried these and what did it do with your group??

GURU1911
December 26, 2010, 06:46 PM
Even if the rubber barrel channel liner did work, it would rot & crumble over time. My advice would be to pillar bed the receiver. I have been using tubes made of 3/8" x .035" wall thickness stainless instrument grade hi-pressure tubing cut to length & epoxied into the stock action screw holes.

Accra-glass the receiver, forearm, & free-float the barrel in the forearm. Contact the tech department at brownells for additional information. I charge $125.00 to do this work on a wood stock. However, this work will last for the lifetime of the stock.

k31
December 26, 2010, 06:50 PM
these things dont lint the barrel chanal the pic on the back showed 1 sitting at the front just behind your sight and 1 about an in or two before the forgrip
i think it is called a dampener i will be pilar bedding the rifle stock i am making i just saw them the other day at the store and wasnt sure how well they work

woodguru
December 26, 2010, 07:21 PM
The first thing to figure out about if barrel resonance needs to be changed on your rifle is to see what ammo it likes and how well does it shoot.

When I was shooting benchrest in the 70's I remember guys having a barrel recrowned. At that time I don't think guys even knew what it was doing. There was speculations such as the crown's rifling had been damaged so cutting off an eighth or quarter inch and recrowning would sometimes tighten up groups. Some thought that changing the length by just a bit and recrowning made the difference.

Each bullet and powder load combination sets up a different resonance in the barrel, the position the barrel is at as the bullet leaves the bore is going to have different dynamics in terms of stability. Changing the length by as little as an eighth of an inch also changes those dynamics so the rifle is then going to favor a different load or it might improve your best load.

The limbsavers are changing the resonance which does change the group dynamics of different loads. I tried a resonance thing that looks like a micrometer index so it's measured as you turn the outer part, this changes the barrel weight in incremental differences so you shoot a group, adjust it and shoot another. You can then go back to the exact spot that had the tightest group for the bullet and load you are trying. They actually work. The Limbsaver is the same principle where sliding it to a different position is going to make a difference. The only problem I see is repeatability and the Limbsaver moving from a position that worked really well.

Shooting benchrest I used to hook a finger over the barrel of a .243 that shot half an inch tighter than it would without my finger on the barrel.

If a rifle shoots great already there's no need to do different things like pillar bedding and such, it's when you want to improve poor groups that you start looking at things like that. In tuning rifles you don't mess with one that shoots great unless there's an indicator that something needs improving.

If you had a half inch grouping Sako .243 it would be insanity to pillar bed it just because it's "the thing" to do. The pattern of a group can tell you when an upgrade is in order.

k31
December 26, 2010, 07:31 PM
i was just curiouse about it cause it de resonates where free floatin is made to allow it to resonate
tomarow i am buying my lumber and starting my stock after it is done i will worry about accuracy if it is needed
just caught my eye at the store

dreamweaver
December 26, 2010, 07:36 PM
they come with instructions on placement. they can be slide fwd or back on the barrel to obtain best results.
i have an extra #12051, still in package you could have for 8 bucks shipped.

k31
December 26, 2010, 09:01 PM
thank you it will be a month or 2 before i get to that part of the rifle
this week is going to be buying my lumber and finishing the plans
then next after the 1st some time i will start the mock version of the stock on some pine and get the barrel channel and trigger areas milled out then when it is all functional i will start the actual stock after the stock then it is pilar bedding if needed and so on

pabuckslayer08
December 26, 2010, 09:17 PM
They do work, actually quit well for 20 bucks. I bought one for a 30-06 CDL out of curiosity and wow, I was really amazed as to the fact that it did really tighten group sizes alot. I had it shooting a 1 inch size group at 100 and did nothing to the scope and each bullet hole is touching now. I know have them on several of my guns and especially for high caliber guns it really does help.

warbirdlover
December 28, 2010, 01:14 AM
I had one on and didn't notice any difference. Of course my rifle shoots cloverleaf groups to start with and I just don't think it can be improved on.

k31
December 28, 2010, 02:48 AM
i doubt there is any thing you could do to make a rifle that shoots the war bird inaccurate without some major abuse ive had my eye on them for a while i just dont scroll down enough to look at the price tag :)

Tbag
December 28, 2010, 06:32 AM
While I haven't used the donut, I have several of their recoil pads and they are a pretty sweet addition to most any rifle. I also have used several of their products on my bows and feel that they really help in making them noticably more silent.

PawPaw
December 28, 2010, 06:48 AM
I found one on a pawn shop rifle I bought and put it on my Savage 110 in .30-06.

http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/photos/300603.jpg

This is a hunting rifle, plain an simple. I took it to the range with several handloads that I like and know. I measured groups with the donut against known groups without the donut, and found that when the donut is properly placed, it makes a small difference in group size.

But, when I leaned the rifle against a rack, I found that the donut is made of a soft, sticky rubber and it really sticks to whatever you lean the rifle against. I'm tough on my rifles. In the course of a day's hunting, my rifle is apt to be leaned against any number of things. With that funny looking knot on the end of the barrel, when I lean the rifle against a tree, or a pickup truck, or a 4-wheeler, it sticks.

SO, it doesn't make much difference in group sizes, but it helps me to not drop the rifle. It's ugly as sin, hanging out there, but it works, for me.

wingman
December 28, 2010, 08:15 AM
Used one on a thin 17HMR barrel it did produce better groups.

Ryan.30
January 3, 2011, 07:09 PM
i was watching the news and i saw a swat sharp shooter with one on his barrel.