PDA

View Full Version : Something is not right

AlphaAssault
December 26, 2010, 04:34 PM
I am trying to sight in my scope, and am having some difficulty. At 100 meters, there is no definite grouping at all. 10 shots were fired, and half of them are not even on the paper. Out of the five shots that hit, four of them are along the edges of the paper in no particular pattern, and one is close to the middle of the paper. I am using a bench and rest at 100 meters; and while I am not the best shot in the world, I am at least competent. Does this sound like a problem with the gun, or the scope? The scope is relatively cheap, mounted on an old Turk Mauser using a mount kit. Interestingly, the mount is the only thing I am sure is NOT causing this. The mount is tight and is still lined up wit the marks I made when I put it on the rifle.

Also, I would like to avoid the criticism I know is coming for going the cheap route, but any assistance on improving my grouping would be appreciated.

hooligan1
December 26, 2010, 04:39 PM
Post on the Smitty thread they're lookin for ya
:rolleyes:

banditt007
December 26, 2010, 04:48 PM
check the action screws torque

Mike38
December 26, 2010, 04:49 PM
Up to the point where you said “old Turk Mauser” I was blaming the scope. Still, it’s easy to check. Is the scope new or used? Scopes, especially the cheaper ones, can come loose inside and the cross hairs wander around shot to shot. Try installing the scope on another rifle and see what happens. Now back to the “old Turk Mauser”. What’s the bore look like? The crown of the muzzle okay? Chamber okay or is it shot out?

I once bought a No.4 Mk1* Enfield that shot better then your Mauser, but not much better. Had a new scope installed, but I still put it on a different rifle, and it worked fine there. The bore of this old Enfield was bad. You could barely see the rifling. Countless days of scrubbing the bore, 5 or 6 bore brushes used and a bottle of Hoppes later, you could see the rifling again. The bore was dark, but at least clean. At 100 yards, the group sizes went from 10+ inches down to about 4. I then worked up a handload and knocked another inch off the group sizes.

So check all above, and come back with your findings. There are many people on this forum that are very knowledgeable, I’m sure someone will be able to help you further.

PawPaw
December 26, 2010, 04:53 PM
I had an old Chilean Mauser once that I couldn't keep on a 4X8 sheet of plywood at 50 yards. Turned out that the barrel was lousy, probably 50 years old, with the last 4" of rifling gone, a combination of cleaning rod wear and a dirt-dauber nest had rendered the barrel useless. I sold that rifle to a hobbyist who wanted to use the action only for a project rifle.

Some of those old warhorses have lead long lives in the hands of peasant soldiers, using corrosive ammo. It's no wonder that the barrel went South years ago. Some of them can be made into shooters, some can't. Sometimes it's easy to hacksaw off the end of the barrel and put on a bubba'd crown.

AlphaAssault
December 26, 2010, 04:53 PM
The bore is in good shape, with strong rifling, and the crown looks to be fine as well. I had a gunsmith look the rifle over after I purchased it, and he confirmed that everything looks good and is in working order.

smoakingun
December 26, 2010, 05:23 PM
my next check would be the mount and the scope. grab the scope try and move it front to back and side to side,ifany movement is felt at all, there is your problem. next take the scopr off, put it next to your ear and shake it. if you hear anything, there is your problem

flashhole
December 26, 2010, 05:29 PM
New gun? New scope? New/unproven ammo? What is the twist rate of the barrel.

I suggest you try some different ammo.

SatCong
December 26, 2010, 06:57 PM
Do what I do when I can't get "on-paper" @ 100 yds, start at 25 yds, adjust set-up, back target to 50 yds, repeat as necessary.

Mike

AlphaAssault
December 26, 2010, 07:04 PM
the scope does not move at all when I try to wiggle it. I took it out of its rings, and shook it to see of there was a sound, but the scope produced no rattling or anything like that. I did find a loose screw on one of the rings, but the scope felt secure despite this.

Win_94
December 27, 2010, 12:36 AM
I did find a loose screw on one of the rings, but the scope felt secure despite this.

Everything must be right or it will not be accurate.

I had one stripped screw of four on my scope mounts. The mounts felt tight as well but I was getting 10" groups at 300 yards. I switched the rings and was back to 1.5".

Jimro
December 27, 2010, 02:47 AM
What ammo are you using? If you are using any surplus you are likely to have horrible groups anyways. A lot of the Turk surplus is horrible for accuracy.

Lastly, are you using a scout mount? If you are that is likely your problem. Last scout mount I used on a Mauser I fixed in place with epoxy putty because the recoil was too much for the set screws.

Jimro

smoakingun
December 27, 2010, 06:24 PM
Since everything checks out tight, re-mount the scope, make sure all is tight, head to the range, set up a target at 25 yards, put the rifle on a rest, send 5 rounds down range. If the rifle will put all rounds in a 2 inch group or less, adjust the scope so that poa matches poi and you are ready to work out your come-ups. If the rifle won't group time to look else where. Damaged crown, bullet too ligh or too heavy for twist rate,(that one is kind of a stretch), any way, you get it

madcratebuilder
December 28, 2010, 08:53 AM
How does this rifle shoot with the iron sights?