PDA

View Full Version : Odd Predicament I am in...

Mr. 2nd Amendment
December 26, 2010, 10:39 AM
Ok, so as I have stated.. I have an Odd situation. My Grandfather passed away and left me a sizable amount of money. Him and I (I'm 29yr old) were always talking guns, he had a nice collection, and mine isn't too shabby. But anyways.. out of his Will he left me $10,000 that is to be spent directly on Firearms, and firearm accessories. (Yes he left me more money than that but we won't get into that part)..

So. I am kinda left in this awesome situation where I can get whatever I want basically for a Rifle.

1. Is a definite. I am getting a Springfield Armory M1A Socom II black rifle

2. Bushmaster 22" 50bmg (Off of a Friend .. 10rnds fired through it)

and here's my 3.

3. ????????????

I was thinking maybe a FN SCAR Light w/ all accessories (EOTech holo sight, Laserlyte K-15 Kryponyte Green Laser System, Magpul AFG, Surefire X300 light, and 10 Poly Mags)

Is that set up worth it?? Should I consider something else?? An ACR ?? or something different?? I already own A RUGER-SR556, a Yankee Hill Black Diamond Specter, and an Armalite SPR Mod 1.. and a couple other's.. I am not gonna sit here and name off my guns.. rather Pointless..

Anywho.. I was thinking the SCAR light because I love the looks of it.. I have held it and fired it (buddy owns one).. and I just found it to be a great weapon system, although his was bare stock.. but it happens.. Anyways.. From experience with people on here.. how would you rate this weapon?? Or should I be looking elsewhere for something different?? I'd go SCAR Heavy but why?? When I am buying the M1A? Doesn't make sense in my head..

Anyone have any recommendations on what I should look into if you don't think the SCAR is a good purchase?? Just Curious..

Thanks Guys, I have been hiding in the background reading stuff and everyone seems knowledgeable so i figured why not.. join the forum, become a member of the community and ask this question and maybe just maybe hang around and talk GUNS with everyone.. Seems like a great Idea to me :)

-Mr.2nd

Dieselgrin
December 26, 2010, 10:44 AM
I have a Ruger 10/22 I'll sell you for $10K. I keep it at the Walmart up the street.

Vermonter
December 26, 2010, 11:08 AM
You sir have quite the issue on your hands. First let me extend my condolences to you for the passing of your grandpa. Second let me express my jealousy. If it were me I would invest said funds in either high value guns or invest the cash itself enabling you to build a massive collection at a later date.

Vermonter

BILLtheDJguy
December 26, 2010, 11:12 AM
I call BS....

Winchester_73
December 26, 2010, 12:15 PM
If the story were true, why buy taticool crap?

Buy a factory engraved 73 or one of the Sanford guns on gun broker.

jaguarxk120
December 26, 2010, 12:47 PM
Start looking at Cooper rifles. www.cooperfirearms.com

mapsjanhere
December 26, 2010, 01:28 PM
I suggest a nice Blaser R8 in 30-06. Starts at 3k, and goes up to 200k, in case you have to work the budget.

HotShot.444
December 26, 2010, 01:44 PM
+1, motion seconded. Someone got a P.C. for Christmas? Very UN-original handle.

.300 Weatherby Mag
December 26, 2010, 01:48 PM
I would solve this problem by either picking up a Perazzi or Empire Mauser...

RT
December 26, 2010, 02:12 PM
Don't spend your money on tacticool stuff. Make your Grandfather proud and start buying Class 3 stuff. And why get a M1A when you have the coin to get a SEI or an LRB?

woodguru
December 26, 2010, 02:43 PM
You never know what things people talk about that are the truth, especially when you don't personally know them.

Giving the benefit of the doubt here, my grandfather would want to see traditional firearms bought but I don't know the OP's so who's to say?

Call BS all you want, that's all that is when you have no way of knowing. It says a lot about a person who makes a call like that without really knowing.

My wife just inherited over $480k, some was cash the rest comes after some properties sell. We are adhering to spending the money in ways he would approve of, there won't be any spending sprees happening. We paid off all our bills and will pay cash for our house when the bulk is probated. He would have approved of the return not making a house payment every month represents over what we could get from that money invested other ways. If we can't pay cash for what we want we'll do without it.

BusGunner007
December 26, 2010, 04:24 PM
...both for the loss of your Grampa:( and all the guff you'll get here:rolleyes:.

You can afford to be an 'enthusiast' and 'collector'; but I wouldn't call them 'weapons'.

My recommendation at this point is maybe get the accessories you'd like to have and a couple of extra uppers for the .223's you already have.
$pend a LOT on ammo so you can use them.

That .50 will need some ammo put away now before it gets to be too expensive to feed.

Good luck.:)

hooligan1
December 26, 2010, 04:37 PM
Go to your local hospital and build a wing for "fire injured children" and buy yourself a new Savage.:cool:

Groundhog34
December 26, 2010, 05:11 PM
The only guns that ALWAYS have increased in value are old English doubles. Past performance does not guarantee future returns.

billnourse
December 27, 2010, 12:52 PM
Don't look too hard at Cooper right now.

Bill

Hawg
December 27, 2010, 01:25 PM
If was me I'd go with antique Colt and Winchesters.

Scorch
December 27, 2010, 07:20 PM
Nosler 48

Norrick
December 28, 2010, 04:21 AM
Save some cash for accessories. Dont go big on the guns and then skimp out on optics and other stuff...

armoredman
December 28, 2010, 09:48 AM
With that amount of disposable cash, buy whatever tickles your fancy, and if you don't like it, donate it to your local gun rights outfit for a raffle prize. :)
I always wanted enough money to walk into my favorite gun shop and have the following conversation;
Clerk: "Good morning, may I help you?"
Me: "I'll take it."
Clerk, (confused): "It what, sir?"
Me: "All of it."

Jim Watson
December 28, 2010, 10:19 AM
I'm over 29 and have gotten into a real bad habit these past several years.
When I look at an interesting gun, I wonder what I would use it FOR.

I don't know of any application for any of the stuff you list.
Do you?

Art Eatman
December 28, 2010, 11:32 AM
Like Jim Watson, I ask about the intended use. I see little or no point in having more than one of a type.

Target shooting is different from hunting, whether rifle or shotgun. Varmint hunting is different from deer hunting. Defensive use differs from "all of the above".

Seems to me that sort of thought process might be of value before spending money.

"Having" is trivial. "Using" is what's meaningful.

BILLtheDJguy
December 28, 2010, 11:35 AM
I repeat BS, and now call, Drive-by....

M4Sherman
December 28, 2010, 12:00 PM
Aim is selling mosin nagants for $60 each if you buy 20 or more :P

Iron Man
December 28, 2010, 12:04 PM
Yep...drive by.

davlandrum
December 28, 2010, 12:07 PM
$10K wouldn't get me past 2-3 on my "gee, I want" list... especially with optics - and it would not be ninja-ish....