PDA

View Full Version : See through mounts or no open sights? Help

Blacktail_Slayer
December 26, 2010, 01:50 AM
This is about a rifled shotgun but the help I am looking for I figure will get more knowlegable responses from the rifle section.
I am unsure weather to get these see through scope mounts http://discountgunstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=365_369_381&products_id=46679&zenid=a77a2e754f8e074f71251947fd3d59e5
or take off the open sights and put a lower profile scope on.
Most shots are 50 - 125 yards. But theres enough chance for closer encounter that keeps me worried. Also, 150 - 200 yard shots are always a possibility but thats my max.
The scope I am getting starts at 2.5 magnification.
I know having a high mount changes your cheek rest somewhat.
If I take off the open sights and something goes wrong with my optics, I have a backup gun in the truck and the area I am in, your never more then a couple miles from the truck for morning and evening hunts.
Not to mention I really have never liked the look of high mounts, but is it more practical to do that?
Help, tips, experiences, anything.
Thank you

P-990
December 26, 2010, 08:45 AM
At 2.5x, your low-end is plenty low for close range shooting. Mount that scope low and close and practice mounting and swinging the rifle.

As for the "see-through" mounts, throw those as far away from your rifle as possible! Then go pick them up and throw them farther! They put your head too high and ruin the balance of your rifle. I've tried them on a couple of rifles that had them when I traded into them. After a couple of dozen shots it was to the gunshop for low-profile rings and PRESTO! Major improvements.

Ozzieman
December 26, 2010, 09:01 AM
What’s your price range?
Personally for a shotgun I would prefer a red dot with no magnification. The advantage is that it’s easier to keep both eyes open and they are much faster for target acquisition.
+1 P-990 For me the high mounts with the option of being able to look down the sights don’t work. They place your head to high on the gun.

YARDDOG(1)
December 26, 2010, 09:11 AM
"[ As for the "see-through" mounts, throw those as far away from your rifle as possible! Then go pick them up and throw them farther]"

IF Mounted "(Right)" They work Great, Have mine on a 700 06 sence '94 & Never had too tuch em ;)
Y/D

Art Eatman
December 26, 2010, 09:37 AM
From personal experience, I know that 3X is plenty good on deer to 350 yards. My father used a Bear Cub 4X for some forty years, and killed lots of deer out in Ma Bell country.

Were I going to scope a slug-gun, I'd use some brand of 1.5x5 critter, most likely. The field of view at 20 yards or so with a 2.5X will probably be okay, however...

jmr40
December 26, 2010, 10:56 AM
See thru mounts are the worst possible choice. They mount the scope so high it is hard to use and make it almost impossible to use the irons either.

A good low powered scope is quicker to use than irons anyway. They are proving to be pretty darn reliable as well. If you want to use your irons as a back up use quick detachable mounts. Actually the Weaver style come off in a few seconds with a screwdriver and everyone I know carries a multi-tool with them with a screw driver while hunting.

lamarw
December 26, 2010, 11:15 AM
The problem I have with see thru mounts is with my gun cabinets. A rifle (I assume even worse with a shotgun) with these mounts will not fit well in either of my two gun cabinets. To others using a gun rack or a gun safe, this may not be an issue.

dgludwig
December 26, 2010, 12:33 PM
At 2.5x, your low-end is plenty low for close range shooting. Mount that scope low and close and practice mounting and swinging the rifle.

As for the "see-through" mounts, throw those as far away from your rifle as possible! Then go pick them up and throw them farther! They put your head too high and ruin the balance of your rifle. I've tried them on a couple of rifles that had them when I traded into them. After a couple of dozen shots it was to the gunshop for low-profile rings and PRESTO! Major improvements.

My sentiments exactly. If you really think you need irons in addition to a scope, I'd recommend going with something like the old Weaver "Pivot" mount or the discontinued Pachmayr "Low-Swing" and Redfield pivot type mounts.

bedlamite
December 26, 2010, 12:47 PM
As for the "see-through" mounts, throw those as far away from your rifle as possible! Then go pick them up and throw them farther!

Almost. You need to smash them into little pieces first, and then bury the pieces. Separately. In different states.

JiminTexas
December 26, 2010, 04:26 PM
Why do you need a scope for 100 to 200 yard shots? Do you have a seeing problem? How accurate is a shotgun at 200 yards? Seriously, I don't see the need for a scope at those ranges and I'm in my middle sixties and wear glasses and am only a fair shot, but if I couldn't cleanly kill a deer at 100-200 yards, I would not consider myself capable enough to hunt responsibly. And, there is always the option to pass on a shot.

smoakingun
December 26, 2010, 04:40 PM
see thru mounts......hmmm. I used to think they were a good idea, then I started shooting a lot. Propper cheek weld is absolutely essential to obtaining repeatable sight alignment, and thus a good sight picture, both of which are necessary for making the shot. With see-thru mounts, good cheek weld is only obtainable for one sight, which means inconsistent sight picture on the other sight, and that means misses from field positions.

warbirdlover
December 28, 2010, 01:16 AM
Everyone I ever knew with see through mounts (usually made of aluminum) had them bend or warp and throw off the scope from even small bumps or raps. I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole.

Regolith
December 28, 2010, 07:03 AM
As for the "see-through" mounts, throw those as far away from your rifle as possible! Then go pick them up and throw them farther!

Almost. You need to smash them into little pieces first, and then bury the pieces. Separately. In different states.

That's a waste. :eek:

Melt them down then sell them as scrap. :cool: