PDA

View Full Version : 1st post, need your help...

ulfootball211
December 25, 2010, 02:34 PM
I am looking to purchase a semiauto 22lr rifle and Ive narrowed it down to these four. If you could guide me or advise me to your experiences or opinions I would appreciate it very much. They are S&W M&P 15-22, Sig 522, Ruger SR-22 and GSG-5. Thanks for your help and Merry Christmas

grubbylabs
December 25, 2010, 04:45 PM
Welcome to the forum wish I had some advise for you but I can't say as to one way or to the other.

DiscoRacing
December 25, 2010, 04:49 PM
'Long with Grubby... Ill welcome you also...but also cannot help with your choices.:D

rdmallory
December 25, 2010, 05:35 PM
I own a S&W M&P 15-22 and after 300 rounds it started to fail to eject completely, I sent it off the S&W for repair and they had it back to me in THREE DAYS. Now Fed-x still has it because they won't deliver when it looks like snow.
The the gun was very accurate and a hoot to shoot. The service from Smith and Wesson is great.

Doug

shanzlik
December 25, 2010, 05:53 PM
the Smith is a great range toy. The Sig also has good reviews. The Smith has a bolt hold open and functions essentially just like an AR. The Ruger is basically a dressed up 10/22 and in my opinion no worth the price if you're looking for an AR type rifle. The 10/22 itself is fine, just not the best trying to clone an AR. I have no experience with the GSG but it looks like fun.

Here's my Smith.
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n634/G27RR/SWMP15-22bipodrtside.jpg

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n634/G27RR/SWMP15-22bipodfront.jpg

Jim243
December 25, 2010, 10:05 PM
Had the same idea for this years xmas present, but said what the heck, I already have a good 22LR in my 10/22 so why not get the real thing instead.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt284/bigjim_02/SAM_0237-1.jpg

Jim

JIMSPD9
December 26, 2010, 02:47 AM
More fun and just like it's big brother at half the cost for weapon and ammo.

Iv'e had mine over a year and I like it.

Jim S.

Volucris
December 26, 2010, 03:48 AM
Stay away from the GSGs, Colt Umarex, and the Ruger "arcangel" or whatever that abomination is called. They're ether pointless and overpriced or don't work well(gsg and colt).

I've used the S&W M&P 15-22 prior and post extraction fix and it's a wonderful rifle. For the money it's a lot for a novelty but it's still fun. The Sig 522 is also very good. I'm partial to their looks.

I'm more of a bolt-actions for 22lr type of person so I'd really look into a CZ 452 trainer and a 4x nikon prostaff on top.

NWCP
December 26, 2010, 05:53 AM
Realizing you appear to have your mind set on an AR type .22LR this may be all for naught, but the Browning SA22 is an incredibly accurate and reliable .22LR semi auto. The original design dates to the early 20th century. It looks fantastic IMHO having an rather art deco panache to it. Being a break down design it would be easy to backpack with and would make a great camp rifle. Mine seems to have a nasty habit of putting the hurt on ground squirrel, tree squirrel, rabbits and crows. If you are looking for the tacticool AR theme the S&W seems to have a good rep with its owners. Whatever is on the receiving end of your particular bullet will care less what the offending gun looks like so the call is totally up to you and your taste in firearms. By the way, I own two ARs in 5.56 so I have no aversion to the design of the weapon. I just find certain .22LR semi autos and bolt action rifles appeal to me more than the .22 caliber ARs.