PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a .243

TJ8300
December 24, 2010, 02:15 PM
I have been searching for a reliable .243 for multiple use. Mainly I will be using it for coyote hunting but I also would like the option for deer hunting as well. Thus the reason for a .243. I don't want to go to a .270. I was just wondering what people think. I have been looking at the Remington 700 SPS Varmint.

Also as long as I am asking I am wondering about a good scope. Preferably one with illuminated crosshair.

My price range is flexible but would like to stay under $1,500 for the rifle and scope.

.300 Weatherby Mag
December 24, 2010, 02:21 PM
I would buy a Savage Model 10 Predator Hunter Max 1 in .243 winchester..

then

Mount a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40mm on it...

There are many good scope options out there... Just don't handicap yourself with a Simmons or a Trashco..

DiscoRacing
December 24, 2010, 02:23 PM
Or if you cant pony up enough cash for the Leupold... try Sightron. I have been field testing mine pretty heavily.

PawPaw
December 24, 2010, 02:27 PM
Are you going to be carrying it, or sitting in a hide? There are lots of good .243's out there, but some of them you might not want to carry all day.

A .243 with 95-100 grain bullets will take medium game and most of them have excellent accuracy. It's truly an all-purpose caliber. And, more companies are making rifles with varmint taper barrels. I know that Remington, Savage, Ruger, and others are making factory heavy-barreled rifles and that's a good thing.

For scopes, Simmons makes something they call the Whitetail Classic (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=168462). The family has a couple of them, mounted on a 7mm Rem Mag, and on a .243. They're better scopes than the price point might suggest, and when you can find them on sale, they're little more than $100.00. I've got one on my .243, and it's way more scope than I need for that rifle.

TJ8300
December 24, 2010, 02:35 PM
I will be posting up. It is a slight jog out to some of the spots. I would like to think that I am fairly fit to handle the weight.

Legionnaire
December 24, 2010, 03:32 PM
Savage is good ... Remington is good ...

But take a look at the Tikka T3, too.

Can't really speak to the scope; most of mine are Leupolds, but none have illuminated reticles.

Jimro
December 24, 2010, 04:41 PM
Are you going to want a light or heavy barrel? If you are going to be doing more walking than shooting at yotes a light barreled 243 is what you want. A heavier barrel isn't any more "accurate" for the first three shots, so consider getting a 22" sporter weight barreled 243.

Savage, Remington, Tikka, Winchester, etc, all make fine rifles. Go to a big box store and handle as many different types as you can before making your decision. How the rifle fits you is more important than any name brand or internet advice.

Jimro

wnycollector
December 24, 2010, 05:05 PM
Howa 1500 in .243 for $339 at CDNN. The Howa action is the exact same as the Weatherby Vanguard for 1/2 the price.

TommyW
December 24, 2010, 05:28 PM
Tikka T3 is going to be hard to beat...In my opinion. I've got the stainless model in .223 and it's very accurate and light...

DiscoRacing
December 24, 2010, 05:29 PM
Like the Howa:cool: I have three of them... 30-06, 270, 300weatherby mag.

45Badger
December 24, 2010, 05:42 PM
We've got a Remington 700 adl youth that is a tack driver out to 200 yards. Cheap and awesome deer slayer, and would easily dust a yote. I had a 700 varmint in .223. Awesome gun, but very heavy for anything but sitting/prone.

Sand Creek Kennels
December 24, 2010, 05:43 PM
Buya Ruger M77..they also have it in a Stainless model.... NICE GUNS

IDAHO83501
December 24, 2010, 05:51 PM
I have 3 and all are great

silvrjeepr
December 30, 2010, 09:50 PM
I bought my boy a model seven rem 243 youth last year, and I've honestly thought about buying one for myself this year. It's a light, easy handling tack driver.

Art Eatman
December 30, 2010, 10:17 PM
Savage, Tikka, darned-near-any. Whatever fits your body dimensions and your billfold will likely shoot plenty tight enough for coyotes, and "tight" is less critical for Bambi.

My .243 is an old Sako L579 Forester carbine, 19" barrel. Historically, tight groups ever since I rebedded the forearm. Ready to hunt, it's seven pounds with a Leupold 2x7 on it. I use the Sierra 85-grain HPBT for Bambi necks and coyotes. Federal now sells that load, and it's as accurate as my handloads. They're learning. :)

A couple of years back, I found that it works quite nicely on prairie dogs to 300 yards, using 55-grain handloads.

IOW, most any sporter-weight barrelled critter will work...

billnourse
December 31, 2010, 09:15 AM
You said you didn't want the .270 so you were going to get a .243. Have you considered a 25/06? A little more gun than the .243, and a little less than the 270. It is a great, accurate round and will give you a bit more versality. 75 grainers at 3700 and still get 120's out at 3,000.

Like others have said, I would definately look at the Tikka T-3. Made by Sako, great trigger, and guranteed MOA accuracy.

You could top one of these with a VX3 Leupold, Ziess Conquest, etc. and still be in your 1,500 price range. Do not schimp on your sights. They are as important or more so than the rifle.

Bill

Doyle
December 31, 2010, 09:43 AM
Have you considered a 25/06?

There is a big difference in recoil and muzzle blast from a 25-06 when compared to a .243. A .243 can be quite comfortably shot out of even an 18" barrel. Shoot a 25-06 out of anything less than 22" and it looks like the space shuttle trying to take off.

jmortimer
December 31, 2010, 09:49 AM
For me a BLR Stainless Takedown in .243 would be perfect http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=003B&cat_id=034&type_id=015&content=blr-lt-wt-‘81-stainless-takedown-firearms
There is not much you can't do with a .243 and a Nosler Partition

pabuckslayer08
December 31, 2010, 09:56 AM
With that price range I would get a A-Bolt. Sure you can get the SPS from remington or model 10 savage but they are in no way a A-Bolt. A Bolts have adjustments for the trigger, floated barrel, great smooth action, and have a outstanding reputation. Then on the top of it get Leupold rings and bases for sure as they really do make a large difference on accuracy. Then I recommend a Nikon Buckmasters 3x9 scope with the BDC retical so you can take those longer shots. All this should actually come up around 1150 bucks then you can buy lots of ammo and have a blast. I would shoot Nosler Partitions for the deer side and buy 75gr varmit loads for predators

billnourse
December 31, 2010, 10:01 AM
You must be shooting a different 25/06 than mine. If you are shooting the 25/06 at .243 bullet weights and velocities, there is really not much difference in recoil and muzzle blast, yet you still have the option of going up in both velocity and bullet weight to get a little more versality. If you go beyond the capabilities of the of the .243, then you can expect more recoil, but you are also getting more performance.

Only reason I suggested it was because he seemed to be considering a .243 with the .270 thrown into the mix. I just wondered if he had considered something in between. I would also look at the .257 Roberts. Still better all around performance, without a big increase in recoil.

Bill

Mike38
December 31, 2010, 12:05 PM
I see a couple suggestions for the Ruger 77, and it made me remember a friend that has one in .243. It’s an older one, probably 25 years old or so, nice wood stock, nice finish on the metal. Funny thing about the rifle is it has a pencil thin barrel. From a few yards away it looked just a tiny bit larger then a .243 bullet, odd looking really. I was with him shooting while he was setting up a new scope on it. He said he had it close, but wanted to check it at 200 then 300 yards. He shot a five round group at 200 yards. I kid you not, you could cover the five shot group with a quarter (25 cent piece). Almost cover it with a nickel. He moved the target to 300 yards and shot 5 more rounds. Nice group, less then two inches at 300 yards. Every time I see someone ask about a .243, I think of this Ruger and the extremely tight groups it shoots considering the small diameter of the barrel. He’s got a keeper for sure.