PDA

View Full Version : what type of .270 ammo would be recommended for hunting Bore

rigby06
December 24, 2010, 02:01 PM
Next month I will be going Bore hunting with my .270 rifle, what ammo would be recommended for this type of animal? Most of what I shoot through it would be the 130 Federal, I believe in soft-point, my concern it would not be effective against the Hyde of a Bore.

jhenry
December 24, 2010, 02:11 PM
Pig skin is not a magical bullet repellent. There can be a gristle shield in the shoulder area. Also not magical, but it can be an issue with lesser calibers. People kill feral pigs with knives routinely. A .270 will penetrate the 'hide' of a 'boar' just fine. They can be large so I would use a premium 150 grain load.

Hog Hunter
December 24, 2010, 02:37 PM
I have shot a lot of hogs and some big ones. the biggest one I have to this day is a 400+ sow. shot her in the shoulder with a 7mag shooting 160 grn accubonds droped in her tracks. My buddy that hunts with me also shoots accubonds in his 270 and he usally drops them. My dad shoots hornady sst's in his 270 and the past two hogs he shot wernt found. he shot one, watched it flop around for five or so minutes and get up and run off. he didnt shoot again becaus he didnt want mess up the deer hunt that mornin. no blood trail and no pig found.

I would highly recomend a bounded bullet if you dont wanna pay the money for the accubonds. I have 100% confidence in this bullet after taking numerous deer and a but load of pigs over the four or so years I have used them. I would also recomend the heaviest ball you can get. I think the heaviest for the accubond in the 27o is 150. DO NOT GET BALLISTIC TIPS!!!
Good luck and kill every one that you see please!!! Where you goin to hunt them at. IN what state

hooligan1
December 24, 2010, 02:40 PM
140 gr. Nosler Partitions.;)

rigby06
December 24, 2010, 02:55 PM
To Hog Hunter

Not sure yet, my friend is taking me hunting. I will have to let even know about that part.:o

Hog Hunter
December 24, 2010, 03:20 PM
Dude its a blast shooting pigs. There so spasmatic when fedding and all have diffrent personalities if you just watch them. I wish you the best of luck and hope you shoot every shell in your pocket cause they will dang sure mess up a good deer plot.

Jimro
December 24, 2010, 03:58 PM
Any 150 grain bullet for the 270 should do you just fine. Use the ones that are most accurate in your rifle.

Also, bore hunting is shopping for a new rifle, boar hunting is using that rifle to hunt male swine....

Jimro

Hog Buster
December 24, 2010, 04:35 PM
Regardless of what you hear hogs are maybe just slightly harder to kill than deer. They ain’t Rhinos or Cape Buffalo. A well placed shot brings home the bacon with just about any round.

I speak from experience. I’ve killed them with .17 HMR, 22LR, up to 45/70. I’ve also killed them with pistols, .357,.44 and even 9mm. Shotguns too. All were equally dead.

Just like deer, or any other game animal, a gut shot or Texas heart shot and they just run. Head shots anchor them in their tracks. Heart shots usually do too. However they’re a bit more aggressive than deer (much more to be exact) and wounding one can be thrilling if it heads your way. All the more reason for making a good killing shot than just aiming for hog.

Any round that you can kill a deer with is perfectly fine for hog hunting as long as you are aware of your shooting ability.

snipecatcher
December 24, 2010, 06:03 PM
130 grain Corelokt's are cheap and effective. Aim for the neck. If you are off one way or the other, you've got a head shot or shoulder shot. A neck shot will drop them on the spot. The last two times I went pig hunting, 4 pigs were killed with a .223 to the neck, and one with my 308 downloaded to 2150 fps with a 125 gr. ballistic tip. The 130 grain 270 bullet will be far more effective than that, but the 308 did drop the pig on the spot. Hit right behind the ear.

JiminTexas
December 24, 2010, 08:25 PM
"what type of .270 ammo would be recommended for hunting Bore"

Rigby - Do you mean Boar as in wild pig or "Bore" as in not exciting or "Bore" as in make a hole in something?
Seriously, it depends on whether you mean the ferril wild pigs like we have all over the place or Javalina as we have here here in Texas as well as the ferril pigs or the European wild boars with fire shooting out of their nostrils and teeth that look like sabres, not widwspread, but available on this continent. And it will depend on what your hunting environment will be. If you are hunting the marshes and swamps of Florida you want a fast acting, maybe not scoped fairly heavy caliber like the Marlin Guide Gun in say 35 Win or an old Winchester 94 in 38-55. If you are going to hunt in the flatlands where long shots are the norm, you'll want a flat shooting scoped bolt action in say .270 or something similar. As for the calibers it's easy. Big pigs, big bullets. Small pigs mean you can use smaller bullets. Just watch out for that shoulder blade. They are bigger than you think and damn near bullet proof. For my wild pig hunting here in the Texas hill country I use a Spanish FR-8 carbine in .308 with out a scope. My shooting is sometimes really fast (those little suckers can RUN!!), and usually at 100 yards or less. I pass on shots over 150 yards. I'll get them next time.

Doyle
December 25, 2010, 08:54 AM
One type of bullet that is NOT suited for pigs is the rapid expanding ballistic tips or "grenade" type of bullet. Yes, they may kill a hog, but they don't penetrate well through the shoulder shield. Even when they do, they ruin a lot of good meat if you are killing a meat hog. Choose a good bonded type bullet.