PDA

View Full Version : Another AR question

Hog Hunter
December 23, 2010, 02:10 PM
Once again I am new to the AR and have alot of questions about it. With it on layaway and not recived yet im trying to figure out as much as posible about this rifle as I can.

First, whats the differance and advantages to the free floatin handgurad and the drop in. Is it like on any other rifle and just gives more room for the barrel to flex when fired??

Second, lets say I find someone that has a 4 rail handguard that I like but its for a AR-15. Will it fit on my AR-10 and be flat all the way across the top??

Third, if you cant tell I am purchasing an armalite AR-10. The rifle dose not have the 4 rail handguard on it like I want. It just has like a dust cover looking handguard. If you have a 4 rial for sale pm me please. Again, thanks for the help, and ill prolly have a thousand more questions when I get the rifle so try to bear with me on this. THANKS!!

Brenten
December 23, 2010, 02:15 PM
Free float rails have the attachment point at the receiver. The regular guard attaches at the base and to the barrel at the gas block. This interferes and affects the barrels accuracy. By going to a freefloat rail, your barrel is free to do the work it's supposed to. Is it necessary? no, AR's are very accurate out of the box. I would get one of the rails Armalite sells on their site. It is a good deal and works well.

madcratebuilder
December 24, 2010, 07:41 AM
First, whats the differance and advantages to the free floatin handgurad and the drop in. Is it like on any other rifle and just gives more room for the barrel to flex when fired??

A floated HG allows the barrel to free float, a drop in can transfer pressure to the barrel if you use a sling when shooting or even from a bi pod. Unless you are working at getting that last 1/4moa with a long range rifle I would not worry about it.

Second, lets say I find someone that has a 4 rail handguard that I like but its for a AR-15. Will it fit on my AR-10 and be flat all the way across the top??

No. AR15 well not fit. All 7.62 platform hand guards do not interchange. Differences in the barrel nut in different brands. If you have a AR10 you need a ArmaLite or Noveske style hand guard. SWS makes the best HG for the AR10. If you have a AR platform you need to contact the manufacturer.

LSnSC
December 24, 2010, 08:30 AM
Midwest Industries makes a set of quad rail drop in handguards for the AR-10. Ive got them on mine. They lock up nice and tight with no play. My AR-10 is stock except fpr the MI hand guards and a NM trigger I installed. It will shoot 1-1.25 groups pretty consistantly with 168 SMK's. Im debating on whether a match grade barrel and free float tube are worth the investment.

tirod
December 24, 2010, 10:10 AM
All a free float will do is prevent sling tension from affecting the barrel's point of aim. If you have a standard iron sight on it, it moves, too. That balances the affect somewhat.

The real problem is using target or race gun procedures on a military rifle. Don't. Milspec rifles are 2MOA, which covers a 8" circle at 400 yards. That is still well under minute of live target, combat or hunting. It's not necessary to sling up uber tight using military weapons, the difference isn't worth squat because the group size is already bigger anyway. You're better off with no sling.

Quad rails are a military compromise. There is no accuracy to be gained from having 48" of rail, and even the government supplier, KAC, has said most shooters would be better off without them. The reason they are issue on M4's is to accommodate all the different military users and the various bits of gear. The average soldier doesn't load them up because the weight becomes too much. They only put on what is needed. Most AR10's are not entry team urban weapons - the stock handguard is a better choice.

If precision target accuracy is a goal, start with a 1/4 MOA guaranteed barrel, then precision handloaded ammo first. From there, a free float doesn't add acccuracy - it prevents losing some is all. After that, a target trigger then helps prevent losing some for shooter. Fired off a sled, it's as accurate as can be without them. Some might disagree, but if the barrel is accurate, hanging a slight handguard load on it is really hard to measure - you'll read all sorts of objection, but no one cites hard numbers or evidence. They can't.

Start with the right stuff, the extras will help protect the inherent accuracy, they don't add to it.

Hog Hunter
December 24, 2010, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the info guys!! I am going to load up my own bullets and want the quad rail for a light and bipod. The weight is not a big deal to me cause im a fairly young guy. I plan on doing a good bit of hog huntign with it. and maybe trying to take a deer with it.

Another question is about the lights I can get for it. I want of course an LED but I want one with the maximum range I can get since ill be hunting hog at night with it most of the time. Money is not really that big of a deal but im not gonna spend a boko of money on no dang flash light either. What type of light do yall think would be good for hunting??

shanzlik
December 24, 2010, 04:48 PM
Surefire, or Streamlight TLR-1 for a bit less money.

madcratebuilder
December 25, 2010, 09:27 AM
Check out www.eagletac.com for a light. LED technology is the only way to go.

Very nice stuff at great price points.