PDA

View Full Version : 338RUM, 338EDGE, or 338TOMAHAWK?

jbcricket
December 23, 2010, 12:50 PM
I've got the Rum and i love it, but the skinny factory barrel starts wandering after 3 shots so i'm thinkin to put a heavier contour barrel on. Then i thought if i'm gonna do that why not go with the edge?... and then i thought, if i'm gonna do that why not go with the tomahawk?... and then i thought, do i really NEED the extra power? Maybe i should just stick with the RUM as it already gives better performance than i really need anyway.

Any opinions on this?

Scorch
December 23, 2010, 03:53 PM
Performance beyond usable just costs you extra money. You could get a 338 RUM rebarreled for around $500-$600.

The 338 Tomahawk is proprietary, so you would have to send the gun to Lazzeroni for barreling, since they own the Tomahawk name. In case you don't want to ship it to Lazzeroni, there are several people offering improved 338 RUM variants.

Jimro
December 23, 2010, 06:58 PM
Leave it RUM. The other two are handload only propositions so why not load your RUM a little hot? You can easily match the 338 Lapua ballistics by handloading, and that is no slouch in the long range department.

Jimro

GeauxTide
December 23, 2010, 08:52 PM
3 shots? What animal would need more than 3 from the Ultra?

jbcricket
December 24, 2010, 01:42 AM
No animal would need to be shot more than 3 times from a 338 rum but when your sighting in a given load its nice to be able to shoot more than 3 rounds in a row before you have to let it sit for several minutes to cool is all.

publius
December 24, 2010, 01:51 AM
rebarrel in RUM if you really want to. I want my gun sighted in to hit poa with the first shot out of a cold barrel, so I wait a while between shots sighting in anyway. Would be a non-issue for me. When re-barreling it is important to have the right person do the work. You don't want to buy a great barrel and have some hack bugger up the chambering job. find someone who does work for the competition bench shooters and use him, not the local gunsmith.