PDA

View Full Version : Remington Trigger Question

ndking1126
December 22, 2010, 05:12 PM
I was at the range today with my Dad and his 700 in .30-06. As always we were using all safety rules and being responsible. Keeping weapons pointed downrange at all times, not loading a round until ready to fire, etc, etc.. Somewhere around the 6-8th round, I tried to squeeze the trigger, but it wouldn't go off. Tried again, same outcome. Slightly befuddled, I unchambered the round, inspected it, put it back in and re-chambered it. As I pushed the bolt down, the rifle went off. I did not touch the trigger, I'm positive of that. We went ahead and shot another 10 rounds or so without incident, but it was definitely not the best feeling when it went off.

The time it fired on its own, I had operated the bolt with an average amount of force. After that, I tried average, light, and even really hard but it would not do that again. Never before or after has the trigger not squeezed off like that.

Did I describe the same situation NBC was talking about or is this some other problem? All I ever heard about the NBC problem was that "it fires without pulling the trigger" but didn't hear the specifics.

I'm tempted to just install an aftermarket trigger in the gun and be done with it, but was looking for some info to restore my dad's confidence in his rifle.

mpd61
December 22, 2010, 05:23 PM
Before anybody replies here they're gonna want to know Model/Age/Serial# of that 700....

Just saying:confused:

Spats McGee
December 22, 2010, 05:29 PM
I saw the CNBC thing, and the problem that they described was different. In the CNBC article, a round was chambered, and the rifle fired when the safety was pushed from the safe position to the fire position, if I understood correctly. There's a big, long thread about it down in General Discussions.

pabuckslayer08
December 22, 2010, 05:54 PM
Did the gun fire as the bolt hit its forward most point before locking the bolt down or did it fire when the bolt locked to the bottom. If it went off once the bolt hit the bottom you got issues but if it went off while you were pushing it forward its most likely the guns pin just slipped just enough. Whats odd though is it didnt go off the first round. When it first didnt go off was there a dimple in the primer. i have had it happen to me where a 7600 mis fired and did dent the primer went home and loaded that cartridge at a tree and soon as the pump went up boom.

ndking1126
December 22, 2010, 06:37 PM
Alright,
Remington 700ADL, bought in 1974, maybe 76. Can't remember exactly. Will try to get the serial number if it's that important.

When it first didnt go off was there a dimple in the primer.
Let me clarify. When I pulled the trigger, it wouldn't move. The trigger didn't release, meaning the firing pin didn't move. (sorry if my terminology is wrong). However, all previous and follow-on shots the trigger weight and creep were all uniform. I also dry fired it about 10 times and the trigger didn't act up any then.

I don't remember for sure if the rifle fired when the bolt hit the forward position or if it fired once the bolt handle was pushed down. Any ideas on things I could look for as possible problems?

pabuckslayer08
December 22, 2010, 06:44 PM
Well, that could be a number of things. It sounds as though your firing pin froze. You may call me crazy and I call my gunsmith crazy that told me this. he said that if you get alot of excess oil/lube in the firing pin it can actually lock it up. I dont know how oil would do so but I have heard of it. Maybe it was something like that went on. or even a piece of debris was jammed in it

roklok
December 22, 2010, 07:51 PM
The bolt would have had to been fully locked for it to fire, that is the only way the firing pin would have been able to hit the primer. Besides, if it had fired when bolt was unlocked, you most likely would have been severely injured.

pabuckslayer08
December 22, 2010, 09:20 PM
Your right roklok, I forgot on them that the bolt must be slammed into the downward position before anything can happen. Still considering the possibility of debris in the pin.

mete
December 22, 2010, 09:49 PM
At that age and dirt, unknown lube etc , I would take the bolt and trigger groups completely apart , clean , relube and adjust the trigger.Then try again.

DnPRK
December 22, 2010, 10:00 PM
I bet the trigger is gummed up with decades old lube.

Go buy a spray can of brake cleaner at the auto parts store (get a brand with the little tube that fits the nozzle) .
Remove the action from the stock.
Remove the bolt.
Use the brake cleaner to hose off the trigger assembly. Be sure to get the cleaner into the trigger assy so it can dissolve gummed up lube.
Use a high quality synthetic gun oil like Eezox to lube the trigger.
Reassemble the rifle.

ndking1126
December 22, 2010, 10:43 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I too have been leaning towards some kind of debris getting in the way because it seems to me if there was something wrong with the trigger (ie, broken piece, trigger set too light, etc) it would show up more consistently. I've hit the back of the buttstock a couple of times against my leg to see if it would fire when not supposed to and I can't duplicate it. A random piece of dirt seems the most likely to me.

Last question, my dad mentioned that the trigger had been adjusted. Is there anway this could have been caused by the trigger work? I'm not an expert on how the sear and everything works, but I was always taught if you can jar the rifle pretty good without the trigger going off then there are no worries.

warbirdlover
December 22, 2010, 11:02 PM
Check to see if the trigger clears the sides of the trigger guard slot. I had a problem on a rifle I built where the trigger was rubbing against the side and didn't return to it's forward position.