PDA

View Full Version : Simmons WTC 6.5-20x50 or Bushnell Banner 6-18x50?

wnycollector
December 22, 2010, 04:49 PM
Rumor has it that Santa is getting me a Midway gift certificate for Xmas. I was thinking of using it on some long distance optics for a .308 punching paper 90% of the time out to 300 yards. I have narrowed it down to the Simmons White Tail Classic 6.5-20x50 or Bushnell Banner 6-18x50? The Simmons is ~$90 after rebate and the Bushnell will run ~$125. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Just to add to my indecision, just I ran across the Mueller Tactical Rifle Scope 8.5-25x 44mm AO for ~$160. Again any input on that would be appreciated!

Tbag
December 22, 2010, 05:50 PM
Save your money and buy a better scope, you will thank us in the end. For 300 yard shooting you don't need much magnification either. Is this strickly a bench/target gun or are you hunting with it too?

Kreyzhorse
December 22, 2010, 08:30 PM
I've got the Bushnell you are looking at and for the money, it's a hell of a scope. It isn't the best scope on the market, but mine is clear, pulls in a ton of light and most importantly holds a zero very well on 7mm Rem Mag.

If you are intent on buying a lower end scope, the Bushnell is the best of them and I've got zero complaints with mine especially for the money spent on it.

I'd pass on the Simmons.

Alden
December 22, 2010, 08:39 PM
Mueller is the best of the three you listed.

I would save up to buy a Nikon, if I were you, and you don't need 20X magnification, 12X would be enough. Actually a Nikon Pro Staff 4-12X 40mm would be fine, and they are not very expensive.

Get a Redfield 20-60X spotting scope for about $200 as well. I did and for long distance shooting it's the best investment I ever made.

pabuckslayer08
December 22, 2010, 09:32 PM
I have a bushnell and really dont like it, just cheasy built. The Trophy from Bushnell is a much better option without much more money. For your prices listed though check out a Pentax. They have them at Midway as I just checked one out. Good Optic for a low price, also I had a buddy who bought a Simmons and it broke inside after around 25 shots from his 30-06.

jhgreasemonkey
December 22, 2010, 10:38 PM
For inexpensive scopes the simmons wtc from midway is surprisingly clear. I had one for a few years and used it on a .30-06. at the range. The brightness and clarity was darn good considering the price and brand of the scope. I ended up trading it because I needed a lower power scope for hunting with that rifle. Also the simmons wtc is made in the phillipines where some halfway decent scopes are made, it's not one of the simmons chinese models. The bushnell banner model I have experience with was not as bright and sharp but still plenty usable. They have a decent reputation for durability which is impressive with lower end scopes. After owning lot's of different scopes in different powers I don't see the need to go over 9x for anything I do so I now stick with mostly 3x9 scopes.

Brian Pfleuger
December 22, 2010, 10:40 PM
For those options, and I've owned Bushnell Banner, Simmons and Mueller scopes, I'd buy the Mueller. No question.

I like lots of magnification too. I like to look the 'chucks in the eye before I before ventilate their skulls.;):D

25X at 300 yards is not excessive at all. In fact, I prefer more.

CPTMurdoc30
December 23, 2010, 12:37 AM
I would go vortex you can get a nice Crossfire 4-12x40mm for around $125....

sc928porsche
December 23, 2010, 08:52 AM
I have used buschnell for years on many different rifles. I have found them to be clear and rugged. IMHO they are the best of the lower priced scopes. There are better scopes out there (I do own a few) but that will cost you quite a bit more. Its kind of like having a good old Winchester or Remington, there are better rifles out there, but not for the price.

jaguarxk120
December 23, 2010, 09:13 AM
I vote for the Bushnell scopes they have a better track record than the others.
Had a simmons 4-12x on a 243 worked great till my groups started wandering, lifetime warrenty yah shure, just like the check is in the mail!!!!

Replaced it with a Bausch & Lomb (now Bushnell) Elite 4000 never looked back. Every now and again I take out the simmons to remind me of what not to buy. The only reason I keep it around.

Hawg
December 23, 2010, 09:25 AM
I've got a Simmons 44 mag 6.5x20x44 made in the Phillipines that I've used on a hot loaded 30-06 for 15 years or so and it's a great scope.

jaguarxk120
December 23, 2010, 09:28 AM
Maybe I should have had the 44mag scope.
I was using it on a Ruger No.1 243 with added weight in the butt stock as a varmint rig. Lots of shooting but light weight bullets. With that heavy weight gun the scope should have lasted forever.

One thing you have to note, varmint hunters shoot more in one day than some people shoot in ten years.

Hawg
December 23, 2010, 09:55 AM
I don't shoot as much as I used to but for about ten years I shot around 200 rounds per week. 165 gr. Sierra HBBT match with 57 grs. of IMR 4350 out of a custom 1903A3. That gun weighs 15 lbs. so maybe that helped. About five years ago I switched it out and put it on a custom 98 Mauser in place of the 50 MM Swift it had on it. I mainly just use it for hunting now.

Hog Buster
December 23, 2010, 10:08 AM
I’ve got a Bushnell 6-18X50 on a Model 70 in 30/06. Many shots, many kills, no problems. I like 50mm scopes, for me they seem to have better light gathering ability. I’ve got a couple of Simmons too and they seen to perform well and trouble free. Scopes are like many other shooting accessories, it depends on how deep your pockets are as to what you buy.

taylorce1
December 23, 2010, 10:18 AM
Use your gift certificate and get the Bushnell Elite 3200 in fixed 10X (around $200 new) for your target shooting. Mount it and the current scope (if you have one) you have on your .308 in QR rings. That way you can use the 10x for target to 300 and beyond and use a lower power scope for hunting if you hunt at all.