PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 917VS 17hmr - which rings and bases?

rdjordan
December 22, 2010, 10:36 AM
What do you guys think the best rings and bases would be for this gun and a nikon 6x18x40 buckmaster scope?

scottycoyote
December 22, 2010, 11:11 AM
im really liking the 1 piece bases these days, like tally and dednutz...thats whats on my encore my 22's and my 93 17hmr

Poodleshooter
December 22, 2010, 11:36 AM
It's dovetailed and also is tapped for weaver bases if it's like every other Marlin 900 series.

For dovetail mounts, these ringsets are highly regarded on rimfirecentral:
http://www.bkltech.com/category_s/57.htm

Weavers are a bit more difficult as Marlin isn't selling their branded scope bases anymore. I believe 2 piece #12 bases will work. There's a company making a single piece picatinny rail,as well as the aforementioned Talleys or Dednutz type mounts.

nbkky71
December 22, 2010, 11:44 AM
Evolution Gun Works makes a picatinny base for the Marlin 917. It will accept weaver rings as well.

I've got a picatinny base on my 917V and I've been very happy with it

rdjordan
December 22, 2010, 02:06 PM
To me the dovetail rings look weak. I'm sure they are strong enough for the recoil but I'm thinking more along the lines of the gun accidently getting bumped or banged and those dovetail rings loosing zero. I'm I thinking on the right lines or are they plenty strong for anything?

Poodleshooter
December 22, 2010, 03:33 PM
Dovetail rings in general aren't weak, but most of them fit dovetails VERY poorly. I've discarded 2 or 3 useless pairs of rimfire rings.
The BKL rings I mentioned above are supposed to be very good.
FWIW, I went with Weaver rings before I knew about the BKLs.