PDA

View Full Version : Recoil?

Hog Buster
December 21, 2010, 04:12 PM
In the last few weeks while sitting here waiting to go to my deer stand I’ve been reading several posts concerning rifle recoil. From what I read lots are having trouble dealing with it. Personally I never gave it much thought, it’s part of firing any rifle or handgun.

Lately on thinking about it at bit more I’ve come to a realization, I never feel recoil while hunting or target shooting. Add to that I never hear the shot. I think that’s because I am so concentrated on the target. Thinking back many years I don’t remember recoil or shot noise when I was shooting in competition. This has also held true for shot gunning. I know recoil and shot noise is there, but I don’t hear or feel either.

After many years of hunting and shooting maybe I've just tuned them out, or maybe it's target fixation? So just wondering, does anyone else here suffer this malady?

DiscoRacing
December 21, 2010, 04:14 PM
I dont notice the noise/recoil as much when shooting game as when target shooting... I would attribute that to adrenaline while game hunting.

ndking1126
December 21, 2010, 04:15 PM
I've always assumed target fixation, as you called it. Hunting this year I didn't have any ringing or buzzing after shooting my .30-06 or my buddies .300wm.

I'm sure the damage is still being done to our hearing though! Thanks to many reasons I haven't been able to hunt much at all as an adult, but I'm going to have some kind of hearing pro next time I go out.

LinuxHack3r
December 21, 2010, 04:16 PM
OP, question:

Could you hear gunshots when you first started shooting, and can you hear anything now?
:|

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

davlandrum
December 21, 2010, 04:23 PM
Recoil:
Hunting - no
Shotgunning (Trap) - no
Sighting in/shooting at range - some, depends on what I am shooting
Sighting in a pump shotgun with slugs - Heck Yeah!!! I hated that beast!!!!

thesheepdog
December 21, 2010, 04:26 PM
You're letting recoil get inside your shooting bubble; don't!

demigod
December 21, 2010, 04:27 PM
Read Grossman's "On Combat" to understand the physiological happenings of a gunfight. Much of it translates to a game kill/hunt.

Win_94
December 22, 2010, 02:20 AM
Yes I feel the recoil pushing on my shoulder; just as I would someone tapping on it, or punching it.

Yes I hear the sound; especially when the powder charge is a bit hard to ignite, whereas there may be a delay.

Kreyzhorse
December 22, 2010, 08:30 AM
I would attribute that to adrenaline while game hunting.

+1. When your adrenaline is up like when shooting game, it's a natural reaction that you don't feel the recoil or notice the gun shot. I also find that I become very tunnel visioned when shooting game.

All of this is part of your natural fight or flight response. Additionally, I look at this reaction as proof that man was brought up to hunt. I always assume that other prey animals have similiar reactions when they hunt.

okbob51
December 22, 2010, 09:56 AM
Competition shotgun and rifle shooters know the consequences of recoil. They may fire 400+ rounds per day for several days in row. They simply get to know shooting and their guns/loads far better than the average hunter and casual target shooter. Trap shooters are always looking for balance between enough power/speed and reduced recoil. Recoil reducers are common as are release triggers, extra heavy guns and reduced recoil loads. It's not because these guys are -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED-, it's because they understand the buildup effect of recoil.

TChase
December 22, 2010, 10:26 AM
If recoil does not effect a person at all, then grouping with two rifles of different calibers (for instance, .223 Rem and .300 Win Mag) but equal accuracy (rifle and ammo) should be consistent at a reasonable range (maybe 100 yards). From my experience, this is not often the case.

pabuckslayer08
December 22, 2010, 04:55 PM
Any time while hunting I feel neither, at the range I notice the recoil some but the noise is really what gets me. I usually try and wear muffs on the range with a rifle. The shotguns through dont bother me

Achilles11B
December 22, 2010, 06:44 PM
When I'm at the range, I feel and hear every shot. Back in my Army days as a 11B, I don't remember ever hearing or feeling any shots taken during team/squad exercises or in combat, only during the zero/qual ranges for individual weapons. That includes three years of carrying a machine gun. This guy's humble opinion is that it's a combination of intense concentration and adrenalin.

sc928porsche
December 23, 2010, 09:16 AM
I always hear the blast and always feel the recoil, but it seems a little more delayed when firing at game. It seems that I never could ignore either.

P97
December 23, 2010, 09:50 AM
I don't notice it when shooting at game, but do target shooting. For that reason, I don't have any problem squeezing off a shot at game, but have to watch when target shooting, to keep from flinching, anticipating the recoil.