PDA

View Full Version : New 6.5-06 suggestions...

GAR700
December 21, 2010, 01:08 PM
I am getting ready to build a 6.5-06 on a Remington 700 action with a 26" barrel and I have a few questions about components. I have decided to use Pac-Nor since they are fairly local and I have friends who have had great luck with them. I am still considering going with the 6.5-06 Ackley but haven't quite decided yet.
My questions are about the specifics of the new rifle.
I am intersted in shooting heavier bullets and was wondering what twist rate would be best.
I also have a question about barrel contour. I want this to be a hunting rifle; easy to pack, fairly light, but with a little bit of meat on the barrel. I don't want a bull barrel or a toothpick.
My last question is about the stock. I am going to go with a synthetic stock but am not sure which one. Money is always a factor so I would like to save where I can.
I guess I am fishing for suggestions...

Thanks,

GAR

Abel
December 21, 2010, 01:22 PM
I am still considering going with the 6.5-06 Ackley but haven't quite decided yet.

Why not the 6.5x55? Then you won't be so overbore & you would only need a 22-24" barrel.

RoyP
December 21, 2010, 02:19 PM
I had a 6.5-06 built on a mauser action a few years ago. that thing was a tack driver. I was shooting 100grn noslers with mine. I really don't have the experience to advise you on what to get Just wanted to say that the 6.5-55 is no comparision to the 6.5-06. totally different rounds for sure.

Scorch
December 21, 2010, 02:19 PM
I am getting ready to build a 6.5-06 on a Remington 700 action with a 26" barrel
Excellent choice. The 26" barrel will allow you to squeeze the most out of it. The Remington action is a great choice, there are many, many aftermarket parts available for it. My main recommendations on Remington actions is make sure you get a heavy recoil lug, and get a new trigger.

I had a 6.5-06 on a Mauser action with a 25" barrel, and it was a screamer and extremely accurate. Still not sure why I got rid of it, but you do stupid things during a divorce.
I have decided to use Pac-Nor
PacNor makes a very good barrel.
I am intersted in shooting heavier bullets and was wondering what twist rate would be best.
At least a 1:8" twist, or even a 1:7.5". This will allow you to shoot heavier bullets, or even the VLDs.
I also have a question about barrel contour.
I usually recommend a #3 contour. Heavy enough to be steady, and still light enough to pack around. A #4 contour would still work if you want a fluted barrel.
My last question is about the stock.
I recommend a composite stock. They are light, strong, and are the best option available. MPI Stocks is in Portland. Call Doc and see what they can do for you.
I am still considering going with the 6.5-06 Ackley
Not much to be gained by going Ackley Improved, but at this point it is up to you. Decide before you start to build.
Why not the 6.5x55?
6.5-06 is 200-300 fps faster, uses very common brass, and has an outstanding reputation of accuracy and good velocity. Besides, the 6.5X55 requires a long action. If you are going to have to use a long action anyway, you might as well fill it up.

mpd61
December 21, 2010, 06:01 PM
I think 6.5x.284 might be a better choice, what with it being commercially loaded already. But hey WTH do I know. I think 6.5 Grendel is a bit better than 6.8 SPC.
:rolleyes:

6.5-06 is 200-300 fps faster, uses very common brass, and has an outstanding reputation of accuracy and good velocity. Besides, the 6.5X55 requires a long action. If you are going to have to use a long action anyway, you might as well fill it up.
the long action part regarding 6.5.55 is a myth... just saying:eek:

GeauxTide
December 21, 2010, 06:16 PM
I've a 6.5-06 9" Twist Mark X with an ER Shaw 24" barrel. I had it throated for 140 SGK. With 140 Hornadys, I chrony 2935 with an ES of 30fps. With 129s, I get 3070. Like most Shaw barrels, it throws beautiful 3/4" cloverleafs. Unless you're going to shoot 140 Bergers and 160 Sierras, you don't need a faster twist. I went through the 6.5-284 debate until I verified the same performance. The cost of the brass, however..............

Scorch
December 21, 2010, 06:34 PM
I think 6.5x.284 might be a better choice, what with it being commercially loaded already.
6.5-06 uses '06 brass, which is cheap and plentiful. Either one is really a handloading proposition. Performance-wise, they are so close it makes little difference. Pick one.
the long action part regarding 6.5.55 is a myth... just saying
Max OAL for 6.5X55 is 3.150", Remington short action magazine boxes are 3.00". Sure, you could make it fit, but why?

emcon5
December 21, 2010, 07:07 PM
Mine is a Pac-Nor 1-8 IIRC. Can't help you on profile, mine looks like a telephone pole.

I think 6.5x.284 might be a better choice, what with it being commercially loaded already. But hey WTH do I know. I think 6.5 Grendel is a bit better than 6.8 SPC.

6.5x.284 is available loaded, at prison-lovin' prices, but it does have the advantage of having Lapua brass available off the shelf (although for ~$1 a piece).

6.5-06 is not available over the counter, but brass is ridiculously easy to make, simply by running 25-06 brass through a neck sizer. Remington and Winchester brass is a lot cheaper, about 50ยข each. Never tried making cases from .30-06, but Lapua is available in that. I expect that the necks would be too thick and need turning, but can't say for sure.

Max OAL for 6.5X55 is 3.150", Remington short action magazine boxes are 3.00". Sure, you could make it fit, but why? This. Especially if using long heavy bullets, seating them short reduces case capacity.

GAR700
December 21, 2010, 07:45 PM
I have boat loads of 30-06, 270, and 25-06 brass laying around. I am intrigued by the catridge partially because it takes a little more than buying a bag of Winchester brass to make it work. At the same time, it is a simple, easy process that can produce great results. I have been through the debate between the 6.5x55, 6.5-284 and the 6.5-06 and decided to go with the '06. The question is....
Ackley?
Twist?
Barrel contour?
Stock material, brand and style?
Thanks to all of you who provided input. My dad always tells me "There is no sense in reinventing the wheel." I enjoy the great advice I get from people who have been there and done that.
GAR

Buzzcook
December 21, 2010, 08:39 PM
Standard not Ackerly. Not enough improvement to make a difference.

1-7.5 is the twist in the Swedish Mausers. Seems to work well.

Number 3 Sport barrel. Go heavier if you plan on a fair amount of target shooting
http://www.montanarifleman.com/

Walnut stocks are prettiest.

emcon5
December 21, 2010, 09:00 PM
Keep in mind, .270 has a longer neck, and it will need to be trimmed.

As to the stock, for a hunting rifle, I would probably go with one of these:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1865/Product/CARBELITE_reg__RIFLE_STOCK or even a wood one.

I just can't justify spending $600 on a stock.

Then again, I have a brand-spankin' new factory 700 ADL stock you could have dirt cheap. ;)

boltgun71
December 21, 2010, 09:57 PM
Great choice in caliber and action for your build.

I would go with the Standard over the Ackley, like was said earlier not enough of a difference to make a big advantage in bothering with the Ackley IMO.

As for a twist rate I would go with a 1-8" or even 1-7.5" since you said you intend to use the heavier, longer bullets.

As for barrel contour I would go with the #3 or #4, and consider fluting especially with the #4 or if you wanted to go bigger.
http://www.pac-nor.com/contours/

As for a stock I would recommend a H&S Precision sporter stock. I have two on Remington 700's and absolutely love them.
http://www.hsprecision.com/shop/stocks/pss

GAR700
December 22, 2010, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the input. I am going to wait until after the 1st of the year to send it in so I can determine how badly Christmas has set me back. Keep the thoughts and suggestions coming.
GAR