PDA

View Full Version : pistol cal carbines

mxsailor803
December 21, 2010, 12:54 AM
Of all the pistol cal carbines on the market today, I wonder why SIG doesn't have one?

Jimro
December 21, 2010, 12:58 AM
Because the market demand is really not there.

Also the pistol caliber carbine market in the US is really lame because of the barrel length laws.

Jimro

Trigger Finger
December 21, 2010, 01:09 AM
I agree with Jimro. The demand is not there. But there is allot to be said about a 357 or 44 magnum rifle even if it has a 16 in barrel. I am thinking of getting a High Point 45acp rifle and convert it to 45 Super. They are very inexpensive and if I break it no big deal. Of course if I blow my eye out it might be a big deal. :D
It would be nice to be able to get a good 9mm, 40 or 45acp with a 12 inch barrel without all the paperwork.

rjrivero
December 21, 2010, 02:26 PM
The paperwork is EASY to do. SBR's in Pistol Calibers are fun guns. I built one specifically for 3 gun shoots in Pistol Caliber Carbine class. Shoots great out to 100 yards, nice smooth action and pretty reliable. This one feeds on Glock Mags which makes it even more "versatile."

It is a niche market, and there are other guns that would do what this does and then some, but SBR, Same ERGO's as my AR, and fun with a TRIDENT-9?

I'm hooked.

http://www.revolverforums.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=46&pictureid=266

Same rifle with the Trident-9.
http://www.revolverforums.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=46&pictureid=268

bamaranger
December 21, 2010, 08:27 PM
SIG is obviously a semi auto company, and that means semi calibers.

And I think semi-pistol cal carbines are a narrow market and not particularly versatile. Only the 10 mm develops enough juice to be considered a deer ctg. The others semi cals are pest and fun guns and trainers in a carbine.

The pistol cal carbines are at their best in the magnum revolver ctgs. Marlin levers still sell. Ruger should have never stopped making their .44 auto carbine. The fact that the Ruger bolt .44 sells at all shows there's an interest.

Jimro
December 22, 2010, 02:02 AM
rjrivero,

The paperwork is relatively easy, except that SIG isn't going to release an SBR because the paperwork suck for those who aren't already hooked.

Same as suppressors. Easy paperwork, but it is enough of a pain to be a deterrent to most folks.

Jimro

tulsamal
December 22, 2010, 10:45 AM
And I think semi-pistol cal carbines are a narrow market and not particularly versatile. Only the 10 mm develops enough juice to be considered a deer ctg.

My AR pistol in .357 SIG thinks you forgot one. .357 SIG is a legal deer cartridge in OK out of a short barreled handgun. It's just that much better when you push it out of a 9 inch barrel. A 125 grain JHP Gold Dot at 1750 fps is going to be plenty for any of our deer around here. More importantly, it is going to be plenty to take down any bad guys.

Gregg