PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 77 scope ring question.

chiefr
December 20, 2010, 09:26 PM
Does anybody know if Ruger 77 scope rings will fit the newer Ruger Hawkeye rifles. I would like to mount a larger scope on my Hawkeye which came with medium height mounts. A local store has Leupold rings which are taller, but the dealer says they are for Ruger 77 only. :confused:

Vermonter
December 20, 2010, 09:30 PM
I have the M77 Hawkeye at the moment but mine came with mounts that are about the same as yours. If you would like me to ask the smith/dealer who sold me mine I can because he sells alot of Ruger product. Let me know.
Vermonter

chiefr
December 20, 2010, 09:36 PM
Sure, Vermonter, would appreciate it.

jmr40
December 20, 2010, 10:43 PM
The Hawkeye will interchange with the MK-II, and I'm pretty sure the older tang safety rifles are the same. In fact you only need to buy 1 ring. Ruger rings come in 4 heights. Most guns come with 1 medium and 1 high ring. You mount the high on the rear of the receiver and the medium on the front. The receiver is lower in the rear.

If you want to mount your scope higher order 1 extra high ring. Move the high ring to the front and put the extra high on the rear.

To go lower order a low ring. Place it on the front and the medium on the rear.

Scorch
December 21, 2010, 12:52 AM
Ruger rings fit Ruger bases, doesn't matter which model firearm it is. All Ruger firearms that are factory equipped to take Ruger rings used the same Ruger rings (depending on height). Make sure you get the right height rings, that's all.

Norrick
December 21, 2010, 01:15 AM
just remember on the hawkeyes (newest 77's) the front ring and rear ring are of different heights. So if you buy "Ruger-style" rings from another brand, they have to be specifically for that rifle. Other sets are sold for different firearms that use equal height rings (such as a mini-14 or 77/22)