PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal SGL-21. Which one to buy?

Mokumbear
December 20, 2010, 08:29 PM
I notice that Arsenal sells about 8 different types of SGL-21 AK's, all within
about $100 of each other.

I would like to hear from a knowledgeable AK enthusiast as to which
one would make the best choice.

I have been reading CJ Chivers book, "The Gun".
(Quite interesting, if you don't mind wading through a lot of detail and history)

They mentioned that AK's manufactured in the early 50's have been found in operating condition in Afghanistan in the present.

Do you think Arsenal's products can repeat this feat?
Or, with all of the US laws about parts origins, is this unlikely?

essohbe
December 21, 2010, 10:32 PM
I think almost any AK would be fine in 60 years as long as the bore is fine enough to shoot and the FCG pins' retaining mechanisms stayed in tact. I used a retaining plate for mine.

The only thing that can go wrong with any well-built rifle vs time is going to be neglecting to clean it properly and rust setting in. As long as you clean it it should last multiple lifetimes. I even got a gun from 1860's and it's fine.

About the SGLs, I would say go the Saiga route if you don't mind doing the work. That's what I did.

Mokumbear
December 22, 2010, 07:15 PM
Could you clarify the following for me since I am new at this:

"the bore is fine enough to shoot and the FCG pins' retaining mechanisms stayed in tact. I used a retaining plate for mine."

essohbe
December 23, 2010, 01:26 AM
Could you clarify the following for me since I am new at this:

"the bore is fine enough to shoot and the FCG pins' retaining mechanisms stayed in tact. I used a retaining plate for mine."

- I mean as long as the bore isn't rusted and has been taken care of then the bullet should fit down the barrel.

- AKs typically have a shepard's crook type of wire thingy that holds the fire control group's pins in place so they don't walk out of the receiver while the rifle is in operation. There's always going to be someone who thinks nothing's wrong with these, as well as another person who will say everything is wrong with these. Because I know the original retaining crook has broken/malfunctioned for other people I chose to use a plate type thing in my rifle (DO NOT USE TAPCO BTW). As long as whatever your rifle has for this particular part doesn't break, then the fire control parts should stay put.

Not much else can go wrong with an AK past this, maybe fouling in the bolt itself or in the gasport but that's about it. You really have to try if you want to break these on purpose.

Can't help you with your decision. I opted not to buy from Arsenal for a couple reasons but that's just me. Any one you buy should outlast you and your grandkids if you clean it.