PDA

View Full Version : Finally got it!

freqlord
December 20, 2010, 02:21 PM
About ten years ago, my Dad and I took the drive from Denver to Cabelas in Sidney. We of course went to the used gun section to take a gander and we found a M1 Garand that had been painted black. He went on to tell me about how the last time he had seen, held, or fired one was when he was 13 years old. He said if he had the money then he would have bought rifle regardless of how ugly it was. I promised him that someday he would have one.
So began my search. Let's fast forward a bit. When I was 18, signed my life away to the Army and came back to Colorado to Ft. Carson. I was introduced to my good friend and mentor who shared my love of guns and I told him about this M1 that I wanted. From there he got me into all of the websites that I check daily now and I drooled over the guns that I saw that looked cool and wanted. Now lets come to 2010, I left on a "cruise" with the Army back in March and since then I have been doing nothing but looking at guns online. I told him that before I got back, he would be getting a Garand before 2011.
Sure enough, about Friday I saw a Springfield Garand in Denver for $800 that had been refinished. It looked too good to pass up, so now my Dad gets to go pick up our new toy today.

Here is the link to it. The seller threw in an extra stock, and bore snake along with everything else.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=206248636

Thanks for reading Ladies and Gents, I was so excited about this that I needed to tell someone!

-Kenny

thesheepdog
December 20, 2010, 02:25 PM
http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm

Since you're military, you may find this a better place to get one.

Sgt.Saputo
December 20, 2010, 03:09 PM
I hope, no I KNOW he will enjoy it! :D

freqlord
December 20, 2010, 06:02 PM
Sheepdog,
I do have my paper work for the CMP all filled out ready to rock, but I prefer to handle the firearms I buy myself or have my Dad go over them. However, since the M1 Bug has bitten me, I'll be buying another from them in the future. Not to mention the ammo and a bayonet of course.

Sgt.Saputo,
I told him he needs to at least run a magazine through it on Christmas, but he said that he's going to wait until I get home so that we can go out together and shoot it. Either case, now that I own it, time is going to drag even slower for the remainder of this deployment!

She is on her way to the house right now!

REWTX
December 20, 2010, 06:19 PM
Way to go! Doing things like this will make him proud (probably should say even more proud) of you. Thanks for your service and I hope the two of you make some great memories when you get to shoot it.

Pbearperry
December 20, 2010, 06:21 PM
Great gun.Shoot the heck out of it and enjoy.

Ignition Override
December 21, 2010, 02:03 AM
Beautiful rifle, and glad that it will be used, not just sit in some guy's closet after twenty rounds, then left with a widow.

freqlord
December 25, 2010, 02:48 PM
Well Gents, Merry Christmas from the land of dust, goats, and Taliban! My Dad showed me the rifle on Skype the other night, and now I'm impatient to take her out. These last couple of months are going to drag on now. Here's one picture of the Garand right now. I can't get my internet to cooperate so I can't upload anymore than this one. I was going to try and throw in a picture of my Highway Patrolman I bought back in August as well. All good! I'll save the pictures for Spring!
Stay safe ladies and gents, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, God Speed!

Achilles11B
December 25, 2010, 04:30 PM
Beautiful rifle, you and your dad must be thrilled. Merry Christmas to you and the boys out there, stay safe and good hunting.

Mals9
December 25, 2010, 07:20 PM
Too bad you could not have it delivered to your current post.
Thanks for your service and be safe out there.

Mals

Vermonter
December 25, 2010, 08:25 PM
It is neat to see a soldier that can communicate over the web about something so special with his dad. Come home safe so you can enjoy it. Thanks to you and your brothers for your sacrifice.