View Full Version : Ok dumb suppressor question for today

December 20, 2010, 11:30 AM
Is there a suppressor out there that can work on 5.56 and 22 LR.

Just to make sure I under stand the rules on this. If i get a suppressor I can put it on any gun I own. Given that its the correct calbier.

December 20, 2010, 11:50 AM
Any .223/5.56 can will work for 22 lr. The problem is that rimfire ammo will gunk your nice 5.56 can up. Most silencer lovers will buy a dedicated rimfire can.

And yes... you can put your can on whatever it's capable of mounting to.

December 20, 2010, 12:38 PM
It would be my 1st one. Iam building an SBR now. So Iam thing the next thing will be a suppressor.

December 20, 2010, 12:43 PM
5.56 cans typically don't break down for cleaning. A good portion of .22rf cans do break down and the baffles can be cleaned by the owner. Lead deposits very quickly in rimfire cans, and since returning the cans to a servicing dealer or manufacturer costs $,hassle and shooting downtime, a breakdown can is nice to have. Popping a rimfire can open and scrubbing it with Hoppes costs very little $.

December 20, 2010, 01:56 PM
Yup, anything strong enough for .223 is going to be too heavy for 22 rimfire. Add to that the leading problem. Get a good dedicated can for each one.

December 20, 2010, 06:12 PM
This may be off topic, but are suppressors allowed for just anyone? or do you have to have a tax stamp? also, is there a difference between a silencer and a suppressor?

December 20, 2010, 07:15 PM
This may be off topic, but are suppressors allowed for just anyone?
If you are in a state that allows them and can own a regular firearm, then you can own a suppressor.

or do you have to have a tax stamp?
"Buying" the stamp is part of buying a NFA item.

The tax stamp is basically a receipt showing you paid the $200 NFA "sales tax". You fill out the Form 4, send it in with the finger print cards and stuff, the ATF approves the Form 4 and applies the stamp to one of the Form 4's, and sends it back to your SOT. Once the SOT has the approved Form 4 you can then go take possession of the NFA item and your Form 4.

Remember, a Form 4 is legally a tax document.

also, is there a difference between a silencer and a suppressor?
The government calls them silencers, just like it calls ketchup a vegetable, but most NFA owners prefer to call them suppressors, since they don't make the gun truly silent. "Can" is also a slang term for suppressor.

December 21, 2010, 09:09 AM
Silencer guys call them SILENCERs. ;)

Check out Silencertalk.com and that Silencertesting site that Titsworth runs.

David Hineline
December 21, 2010, 11:39 AM
Motorcycle riders call their exhaust systems silencers also, as do industrial pneumatic tool companies on the exhaust of their tools.

I have no idea why the armchair operators in this industry get upset with the term, it is the industry std. description.

December 21, 2010, 11:49 AM
I work for a SOT that sells them and we call the silencers...


December 21, 2010, 12:30 PM
I dont get it either. CANS silencers suppressor. Its all the same device.

December 21, 2010, 08:58 PM
Regarding silencer v suppressor.....

Yes, there is a difference.

I can't fit "suppressor" in the tiny little box on the form.